Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Wow you are one hell of a winner.
At least I'm not as miserable as you appear to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
At least I'm not as miserable as you appear to be.
Just the opposite. I’m not miserable at all. I just don’t like know it all’s that live here for a year or two and think they know everything such as yourself.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,214 times
Another thought. When Ive been to Las Vegas Ive stayed downtown. Outside of the busier urban areas what does the evening sound like? Im sitting at my computer now hearing the evening noises of the midwest, crickets, frogs, etc. Are there similar noises in the desert?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowface12 View Post
Another thought. When Ive been to Las Vegas Ive stayed downtown. Outside of the busier urban areas what does the evening sound like? Im sitting at my computer now hearing the evening noises of the midwest, crickets, frogs, etc. Are there similar noises in the desert?
Not so much in the evening, but early morning I hear birds chirping but I’m in the far northwest

Old 06-06-2018, 10:48 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I grew up in Michigan. I miss the people, culture, and community in the Midwest. I wish I never left, but there were no jobs. Very few who went to high school with me stayed.

Las Vegas is a prison - A place where the rejects of all the other states (mostly California) migrate to in the middle of a desert, hours away from any other civilization.

On the positive, I am compensated very well by the school district, I don't pay state income tax, and there's legalized sports betting.
Ironic that you are a reject speaking of the place that you have decided to call home
Why did you not go back after the economy rebounded, especially with the experience that you gained? Even more ironic is that you are teaching our kids??

Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
The newer synthetic turf is much better these days. It dissipates the heat better and is softer. With the proper infill it stays up like real grass would.

It does get hotter than real grass, but so does rock. I'll still take a good synthetic turf over rock or the headaches and expenses of trying to maintain a real lawn. I mean, there are tradeoffs no matter what you do. Nothing is perfect.

We had synthetic turf for 12 years. Our crazy dog loved to lay on it, walk on it and pee on it at any hour of the day. Towards the end of its life (synthetic grass) I came to realize what an environmental nightmare synthetic grass is. It was hell to pull it up because they kept it down with hundreds of long nails that I had to dig out of the dirt. It stunk because it was essentially a really expensive dog toilet. And getting fallen leaves and organic material out of it was a pain. Had to brush it or sweep it to keep it pretty. Nobody really wanted to do anything but traverse it after about 5 years. Getting it to the landfill was a nightmare because it was so heavy. We replaced with pea gravel. Easy for puppy paws and liked the sound of the crunch.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowface12 View Post
When I first moved here, I missed the sound the the wind moving through the trees. I found it eerily quiet here. I've grown accustomed to the six element of the desert: Cars driving like a bat out of hell I live near the Rural Neighborhood Preservation area and I've seen a hawk, lots of bunnies and lots of birds including hummingbirds. They fly from tree to tree in their own ecosystem. Also regarding your backyard, I'd suggest you plant trees. I notice a lot of the older homes have beautiful tree specimens shading their homes and giving the feeling of wooded area.

This is a very transient city. Even people who stay here for a good length of time, lets say 10+ years, eventually decide to move away. Some like to even complain about the city as they take their gains from housing and shhit on the place they chose to call home.

Life is hard here for kids because its just too hot for them to be out and about during the summer. Most are tethered to their gaming console all summer. I remember riding the city bus all over town where I grew up. If you have the means, send them to grammies or aunties for a month or two during the summers. As far as schooling, have you all been watching the news? Teachers have been striking and leaving the profession all across the country. My theory is that kids are only as smart as their parents.

My argument to the posters who believe that only rejects and losers move to Las Vegas, I say that was the mentality that grew the west in the 1800s. Las Vegas is the last frontier. More people moving here brings on more competition to be better in order to compete. Maybe Vegas is gentrifying, lets do this right.

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 06-07-2018 at 12:56 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Ironic that you are a reject speaking of the place that you have decided to call home
Why did you not go back after the economy rebounded, especially with the experience that you gained? Even more ironic is that you are teaching our kids??
Nah. I moved here because Nevada is the only state where sports betting is legal. I was able to pay off my mortgage thanks to sports betting.

Now that the supreme court isn't liberal and the Nevada-only sports betting law was ruled unconstitutional, I can head back home. I'm out in 3 years after I get vested in NV PERS.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Just the opposite. I’m not miserable at all. I just don’t like know it all’s that live here for a year or two and think they know everything such as yourself.
No, I don't know everything. But I do know bullsh*t when I see it.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Look into the magnet schools. It's like a private school education for no tuition. My youngest ended up with a 50k scholarship after attending NW Tech. As far as yards go, I honestly think my brats had more fun out back when they were young, playing with toy soldiers in the mud, attempting to build forts and such when the yard was barren. I put 35k in for a pool and grass, they had little to no interest after the first two or three weeks of novelty wore off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas