Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM

496 posts, read 364,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basnobua View Post
I know that you only speak in hyperbole, but, for the record; OJ Simpson is neither a mass murderer, nor multiple people.
OK you got me. But before him, there was the wonderful Desai family, although the patriarch died in prison I believe. Point is, if anyone here believes a nice neighborhood means no criminals, that is very, very naive. In fact, I would have to say the nicer the area, the more criminals there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 PM

496 posts, read 364,776 times
In my opinion, one of the reasons LV is such a cesspool, with about 300k visitors here at most times, what percentage wish to engage in nefarious activity 5%,10%. That's a lot of unreported crimes and criminals.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM

209 posts, read 262,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
It doesn't matter where you live. LA scum has taken over every neighborhood. The "edges" of town is the new ghetto. NW and SW are trash. You got mass murderers in RR country club.
Haha, well I think you are exaggerating a bit, but I seem to be one of the only people here that understands your point of view. People on here get very defensive if you say anything bad about some of the people that live here, but don't let it get you all worked up. I have eyes, I see all the trash every single day when I am driving around town. Now what we see as trash, someone else might see as perfectly normal, thus why we don't have similar opinions. It is what it is. Still a great city either way.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,611,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Good maybe it will keep the people from Ca moving here and taking over.

And who was the poster that "wished the weather was better?" There is nothing wrong with the weather. No hurricanes, tornadoes etc. Nice dry heat and pretty mild winter. I love it!!
The weather is the main reason for living in Las Vegas, in my opinion. It depends I guess on what you like, I mean if you love rain 300 days per year, Portland is for you. If you don't like heat, I guess Vegas sucks for you. But to me, I'd take Las Vegas weather over most weather in California. Those people seem to think it's great for it to be 70 degrees every day. I don't care for that. Just a few weeks ago, it was low 70s in Los Angeles most days, 68 high another day. That's WAY too cold for late May. I lived in L.A. for 4.5 years and it was routinely too cold. I thought the weather has to be the most overrated part of Los Angeles. Winters were cold and often more rain than I expected, whereas in NV they are short and sunny, not much colder than L.A. but much less rainy which is still a win. Summers, yeah I'd prefer CA summers for sure To Vegas, but not to anywhere else in the U.S.; fall and spring are way better in Las Vegas. Both are likely to be 60s or 70s in most of CA, and upper 70s to 90s in Las Vegas, which to me is much better. I can't swim in 60 degree weather, I can in 75+ degree weather.

Summer in Vegas, you can either swim, stay indoors, or travel, so it's not like you don't have options. It's a fantastic time almost everywhere else so it's ideal for traveling to visit family, friends, foreign countries, other states, whatever, all from one of the cheapest airports. It's really perfect.

For me it seems like CA weather is only good if you don't know any better, i.e. that places like Cabo San Lucas have 80 degree weather year-around. Even the summers in CA are depressing because June gloom isn't just for June, it's literally a marine layer all summer long most of the time (tourists think it's smog; it's not smog) that doesn't burn off until anywhere from noon to 4 p.m., so you get maybe a half-day of actual nice weather. Aside from that, CA and NV both summer compared to summers in Portland, where it's light until almost 10 p.m. It's dark by like 8:15 in Los Angeles. I was shocked when I spent my first summer there. It was the only time I ever wished I was back home in Portland. So for me I'll take a place that has arguably the best weather in the U.S. for all of fall and spring, rather than a place that has "better than average" weather year-around like CA but where no individual season is ever better than alternate locations. You're best off in the Pacific Northwest for summer, much longer days, perfect temperatures, no marine layer. You're best in Las Vegas for spring and fall. The U.S. doesn't really have a good spot for winter, it's relatively cold everywhere, so I'd still say Las Vegas is as close to ideal as you can get because at least it's clear and sunny.

PS: Where you live is going to determine how much "trash" you see and your experience. If I'm living in a gated subdivision of million-dollar homes, I don't need to go anywhere else in Las Vegas besides my local upscale neighborhood locations and occasionally to The Strip, which is also extremely well kept, nice, literally glittering in the desert with opulence and scale. If you're living in some ghetto areas of the city with a bunch of low wage workers, yeah, you're going to see a different side of things. That would be true of every city, though. I've borderline never been to those areas even of my home city where I was always on the West Side. A few of the zip codes I lived in had no reported crimes in entire year-long periods.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Oh, and then there's this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LZdplr&ampcf=1

Las Vegas ranked as one of the best places to live in April 2018.
Um, 80th place isn't really that great.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:49 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,095,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
Haha, well I think you are exaggerating a bit, but I seem to be one of the only people here that understands your point of view. People on here get very defensive if you say anything bad about some of the people that live here, but don't let it get you all worked up. I have eyes, I see all the trash every single day when I am driving around town. Now what we see as trash, someone else might see as perfectly normal, thus why we don't have similar opinions. It is what it is. Still a great city either way.

He is a troll. Nothing more.

Las Vegas isn't perfect by any standard. There's a homeless problem and meth problem. There is some crime as well. But overall, Vegas is about the best place you can live.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Not by a long shot. But some people really love it. Particularly retirees who don't have to go outside when they don't want to, worry about the schools, or worry about the wages.

Others that seem to love it are former New Yorkers. Never met a New Yorker that thought moving to Vegas was a bad idea.

Me? I didn't come here by choice ( my parents brought me here originally ) and I HATE the weather. It's not as bad as many, many places, but I don't think it's the best.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 AM

452 posts, read 335,553 times
Nice dry heat is 80 not 100+

Old 06-08-2018, 08:26 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Nice dry heat is 80 not 100+
Actually my wife and I find nice dry heat up to a 100 to be fine. In fact very dry and 80 is a bit cool.

Gets hot as it gets above 100 we agree.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:36 PM

307 posts, read 267,097 times
Vegas is an affordable annex of LA. The low cost of living attracts people who value that. There is however, a reason Las Vegas is consistently ranked low on these so called "no name" lists, and this forum is seemingly obsessed with crying wolf each time it ranks. It never ranked high before and it never will. Accept it as LA's red headed step child and move on to the more pressing issues that plague your city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas