Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,995,842 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a solid wood desk. I had a nice one back east. Has anyone bought good quality wood furniture here, and if so what are some of the better quality stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,616 times
Try Ideal Furniture on North Pecos. Ask for Lisa, she works on Sundays.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,214,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm looking for a solid wood desk. I had a nice one back east. Has anyone bought good quality wood furniture here, and if so what are some of the better quality stores.
You might give Coleen's Consignment a call or visit. They often have very good stuff though it is hit or miss.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,782,298 times
Don't buy just yet from Colleen's. Wait until after Las Vegas Market https://www.lasvegasmarket.com so look in the 1st or 2nd week of August. Why? Many of the showrooms at Market get rid of their showroom furniture by consigning it to Colleen't after the show closes. The show is for members of the trade, so it is not open to the public.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,995,842 times
Thanks for the replies

Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Don't buy just yet from Colleen's. Wait until after Las Vegas Market https://www.lasvegasmarket.com so look in the 1st or 2nd week of August. Why? Many of the showrooms at Market get rid of their showroom furniture by consigning it to Colleen't after the show closes. The show is for members of the trade, so it is not open to the public.
Friends did this. They are very pleased with what they found.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,618,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Very true but it doesn't sound like the OP is lookiing for Market grade furniture

Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,034,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm looking for a solid wood desk.
What sort of desk? More of a writing desk or a double pedestal type with stacks of drawers? Just curious as I got rid of a monstrosity a few years ago and built one Oak and two Cherry writing desks as gifts to my children. My brother cut the wood off of our family farm back East and I pulled enough to do the projects. The Cherry was incredible to work--such a beautiful grain and density. I did a center drawer on two and a double set on one--Poplar with box joints and floating bottom panels.

Sorry to wax nostalgic....I went through a desk and table phase, then a trunk and box phase...most people don't want or feel the need to acquire well made, real wood furniture.

I will let you know if I run across anything.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Someone here builds those, but it's been a couple of years since it was mentioned. Was it you?

Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,034,256 times
I've commented on wood furniture quality and some of my past projects on a few different C-D forums. I enjoy the work. I've done a few projects here for friends ranging from a bench and planter set for fire pit seating to simple distressed wood framing for a plain mirror.

I do remember someone else posting about where to find woodworking tools and stock other than the big box stores, but I haven't shopped for anything but Oak, soft and hobby stock since moving here. I was spoiled by having a barn full of milled Oak, Cherry, and Poplar back East.

Every once in awhile, I will do a project for someone. One of my neighbors wanted to design her own headboard and matching nightstands--she loved the idea of walking over to my garage and watching it come together. When I was creating stain effects, she added some variations and liked the results.

The Cherry writing desk is in my house waiting for my daughter to reclaim it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas