Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

I am in the process now of narrowing it down to areas that fit my needs. I am still confused (even after days and days of reading these and other threads, can't wait to come out to experience my limited knowledge and get a better perspective) about a couple things.

I have a zip code map, but it is definitely different from what I am used to. I read this in a different post from PinkString (one person's opinion I respect):

"Aliante, Summerlin, Green Valley, Rhodes Ranch, Mountains Edge, Centennial Hills, The Lakes, Peccole Ranch, etc.
Too many good choices. Best bet overall, come out and see the places for yourself, then you decide."

Are these "cities", "communities", or classified as something else? Do they all sit in Clark County? (IOW, is Clark County the whole valley?).

*My husband will be working on either the New City Center or Excalibur (maybe both at some point), while he says he is not concerned about the drive, what area is the best for a family(daughter going into 9th), and what is the distance from that area? Like maybe Henderson or Aliante.

I am leaning towards Aliante for the family living and affordability. I love the comments from 5kings regarding this area. Also, olecapt, bugbilly and a few more. What is Mountains Edge, Centennial Hills or Lone Mtn? (Just areas?)

Who has HOAs? What do they normally run and why? In your opinion are they worth the money?

I want to print as much as I can and compile it to bring out there. Maps, areas, comments...

Thanks, and I don't mean to be a PITA, I just want to make sure when I lease my home for a year, that I will be satisfied that I did what I could to check things out first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I am in the process now of narrowing it down to areas that fit my needs. I am still confused (even after days and days of reading these and other threads, can't wait to come out to experience my limited knowledge and get a better perspective) about a couple things.

I have a zip code map, but it is definitely different from what I am used to. I read this in a different post from PinkString (one person's opinion I respect):

"Aliante, Summerlin, Green Valley, Rhodes Ranch, Mountains Edge, Centennial Hills, The Lakes, Peccole Ranch, etc.
Too many good choices. Best bet overall, come out and see the places for yourself, then you decide."

Are these "cities", "communities", or classified as something else? Do they all sit in Clark County? (IOW, is Clark County the whole valley?).

*My husband will be working on either the New City Center or Excalibur (maybe both at some point), while he says he is not concerned about the drive, what area is the best for a family(daughter going into 9th), and what is the distance from that area? Like maybe Henderson or Aliante.

I am leaning towards Aliante for the family living and affordability. I love the comments from 5kings regarding this area. Also, olecapt, bugbilly and a few more. What is Mountains Edge, Centennial Hills or Lone Mtn? (Just areas?)

Who has HOAs? What do they normally run and why? In your opinion are they worth the money?

I want to print as much as I can and compile it to bring out there. Maps, areas, comments...

Thanks, and I don't mean to be a PITA, I just want to make sure when I lease my home for a year, that I will be satisfied that I did what I could to check things out first.
All of those areas are "neighborhoods" in Las Vegas. They are called "planned developments" out here. You have the City of Las Vegas, unincorporated Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson which are all in Clark County plus as few more towns that I didn't mention. Pretty much anywhere you decide to move will have an HOA. Doesn't matter if you think they are worth the money or not, it is just a fact of life out here. I strongly suggest that you rent for your first year out here. That is what we did. We rented a very nice home in the Vista's of Summerlin because that is where everyone told us to go. It was a very nice place to start off. Once we were living here we would take weekend drives all around to decide where we wanted to buy. That is how we discovered Aliante. In my opinion, you will love Aliante and if you don't end up zoned for Shadow Ridge high school (I think you said your daughter was going to high school??) you can request a variance because Legacy is not meeting AYP. According to Olecapt some of Aliante is zoned for Shadow Ridge, so it may be a non issue. Once again, in my opinion, I would look in the Northwest/east areas. These include Summerlin, Lakes, Desert Shores, Centennial Hills and Aliante. Coming from MI myself, these areas are just more comfortable to me. Mountains Edge in the SW is also nice but the roads tend to get more backed up at this point.

Depending on the time of day, your husband will have anywhere from 1/2 hr to 45 min. commute. He will quickly learn the best way to go..i.e. surface vs highway which varies with the time of day.

Side note.. my daughter is also starting 9th grade in the Fall.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Thanks so much for the response. I sent you a DM. Your info really helped. I am anxious to get there and start looking around!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Default Mountains Edge????

Did I not read recently to be leery of the Mountains Edge masterplan since the developer, the Focus Group, was in financial distress?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Take a look at...

Las Vegas Interactive Map

Play with it a bit and it will answer most of your questions.

I suggest you take a good look at where you want to end up. I would expect that rental housing will tend to move you to the newer areas impacted by the housing mess. Nothing wrong with that except it may not be the best areas in which to buy. I have moved young ladies of high school age and I don't recommend it. If you do end up in Aliante make sure it is on the Shadow Ridge side. Or go a little more to the NW into Centennial Town.

I personally like older Summerlin...but your mileage may vary. Interchangable with Green Valley except Summerlin is much bigger and a bit higher.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
My nephews girlfriend goes to Shadow Ridge and she loves it. She is a senior and has had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas