Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 69,726 times

Advertisements

i go the 14 in Ca then to Victorville and hit the 15. i go 60-65. pass me i will get to LV in enough time. And next time i am making the trip will b with 15 ft u-haul truck to move to LV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:24 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
How is a plane better?

This doesn't come down to personal preference. Trains win every time vs flying.

Save for private jets, flying short distances is one of the most inconvenient methods of transportation.
I totally agree, it's really awkward for short distances. That's why I stopped flying from LA to Vegas when I lived in LA because it didn't make sense. It was particularly because of one bad experience, though, I admit. I got to the airport 2 hours early, and it was LAX so that was always necessary because I never knew what to expect out of the lines. We waited, and we waited, and then we boarded this plane late. Not THAT late, but maybe an hour late, which was already frustrating. But yay, on our way finally right? Well, nope. Sat on the plane for a while, maybe 45-60 minutes, they told us that they had a maintenance issue they weren't able to resolve and that everyone had to get off the plane, it was going to need to be taken out of rotation for the day for repairs.

So we get off the plane, and then it's one of the most awkward scenes I've seen in an airport terminal because the next plane arrives, the one that's supposed to be for the next group of passengers headed to Vegas. Those people are all lined up, like they're ready to get on the plane, but they made the announcement that, unfortunately, if you're on that flight, sorry but other people are waiting and they're going to be taking your plane (that's us lol) to Vegas, they'll have to take a later flight. They were all ticked, not realizing how ticked we already were for being at the airport forever. Finally, we board that plane and take off in another hour. All told this was an 7-8 hour journey from the moment I left my condo in Downtown L.A. to the moment I got into the hotel that night. I could have easily just driven there in half the time and dealt with no TSA, no annoyances, stopped along the way to grab a snack if I wanted, and taken a full suitcase instead of cramming stuff into a backpack to avoid the $20 fee. And of course, it would have been way cheaper to drive than to fly.

After that experience, I realized it makes no sense to fly short distances because the total time means it would be at least equally as fast if not faster to drive and you save money and hassle both.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I would think driving shorter distances is better than taking a train. And then you have your car to use at your destination. Maybe they should just add a lane or two to I-15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
How is a plane better?

This doesn't come down to personal preference. Trains win every time vs flying.

Save for private jets, flying short distances is one of the most inconvenient methods of transportation.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
Brightline trains would take two hours to cover the 185 track miles from Barstow to Las Vegas
Barstow to Las Vegas is only 158 freeway miles per Google Maps. The track route is 30 miles longer.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:39 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I would think driving shorter distances is better than taking a train. And then you have your car to use at your destination. Maybe they should just add a lane or two to I-15?
You're overlooking some of the laziest travelers in the world, like myself, which finds it a real chore to fish for the car keys in my pocket and stick the key into the ignition, and put it into gear, and the chore of stopping at a gas station and filling up with gas, etc. etc.

At 68, I'd even fly 50 miles to a destination if I could, even if I had to wait 2 hours at the Airport before takeoff! I've always been the nerviest Nelly with a car, worrying if it's going to break down on a very hot day, keeping my eyes riveted to the speedometer so I don't get a ticket. All kinds of worries!

Train or plane for me, and there had better be some good mass transportation waiting for me at my destination, and I want to read one or 2 of my magazines en route.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM

78 posts, read 311,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Barstow to Las Vegas is only 158 freeway miles per Google Maps. The track route is 30 miles longer.

The article corrected itself. It is 185 miles of track from Victorville to LV

"Brightline trains would take two hours or less to cover the 185 track miles from Victorville to Las Vegas, at an average speed of about 92 mph."

That is more appealing when compared to driving.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post

"Brightline trains would take two hours or less to cover the 185 track miles from Victorville to Las Vegas, at an average speed of about 92 mph."

Don't forget the time required at a station, getting an Uber, etc. Driving takes you directly from point to point. No waiting for a train. No Uber at either end. No crowds (If there even would be at the station).

158 freeway miles at 80mph is a little less than 2 hours. The way people drive probably an hour and 45 minutes. lol.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post

Don't forget you need to arrive at the train station at least as early as you would if you were arriving at the airport. You need to go through TSA and all of your luggage must be scanned.

Soooo.... it is 1.5 hours at the train station and another 2 hours of train travel. Three-and-a-half hours isn't that appealing when compared to driving.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I should have read Tek's response prior to posting!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I should have read Tek's response prior to posting!
I appreciate someone actually agreeing with me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: