Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 5,589 times

Advertisements

Good Day ALL!

I am looking to move from South Bay Cali to the Summerlin area next summer around July. I figured this gives me enough time to:

1. Save about $16,000- Looking for a 3br for my kid and I- possible lil bro.
*I've found some places in Summerlin and surrounding areas- for abt 1100-1300.
2. Get my certification in Medical Billing(January)-I have 12 years experience with MB&C just getting the
formal education on paper.
3. Look for pretty good charter middle schools and high schools.
4. Look for and secure a job(?)

My dilemma:

Now, I've read as many forums as I can search and I wanted to know:

1. How did you make your move?
2. What are the actual prices of utilities actually like out there for the seasons?
3. If you have kids, how did they adjust to living somewhere new and how was their transition into schools?
4. Do they really have to be outside for PE in extreme weather?
* Some schools in Cali still makes them even though its 90 something degrees and WHEN its pouring!
5. How is the job market when it comes to the medical field?
6. When it came to job searching did you move there first then search and secure the job or secure the job
then move?
7. How did you interview if out of state and secure the job- while still employed at your current job?
* Im planning on beginning my search for jobs in March/April- Keep in mind that I cant move until after
mid June.

Please be kind enough to give sound advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 AM

45 posts, read 61,839 times
The only help I can offer is about finding utility costs. Before we moved to our new home here in LV, I called the primary utilities (Southwest Gas, NVEnergy, Republic trash, LVVWD water) and asked if they could give me an idea of those costs. They asked the address, and from that most were willing to share the prior year annual cost -- no monthly breakdown. If you call without an address, they won't be able to help you because property factors vary so widely -- pool, solar, sq ft, # of residents, home type/bldg materials, etc -- that it's impossible to come up with an estimated cost. Hope this helps.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM

Thank you for this advice! This does help alot. Do you find that your utilities are better after moving to LV or where you were previously?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 PM

28 posts, read 21,800 times
I moved from Kansas City 2 years ago with $7000 in the bank and no job. I'm bilingual, so I was confident (but not too confident) that I would get a job soon before I ran out of money. I leased my apartment online a month before moving here (I live in Summerlin) and got a job within 3 weeks of being here. I have a M-F 8-5 office job and found a job fairly easy (spent many many hours filling and sending resumes on indeed.com). I now pay $1200 for a 2 bedroom condo and pay about $100 for electricity and $100 for misc bills. Expect to pay $80+ dollars for 100 mbps internet with Cox. The only thing I hated about the move is that my car insurance went up 2.5 times here in Nevada. I quoted 20+ companies online and all of them came about the same price. I was paying $50 dollars a month for full cover insurance in Kansas.

The trick that worked for me is persistence and being good with computers because all job searches and even interviews are done online these days. Also having a professional resume and good phone etiquette goes a long way because you will be speaking to many supervisors and hiring managers on the phone.

Last edited by joelg1988; 09-17-2018 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
The bilingual is what did it

Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
The bilingual is what did it
As long as one language is English and the other one is Spanish

Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
As long as one language is English and the other one is Spanish
Yep.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 AM

628 posts, read 397,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8D9H View Post
Good Day ALL!

I am looking to move from South Bay Cali to the Summerlin area next summer around July. I figured this gives me enough time to:

1. Save about $16,000- Looking for a 3br for my kid and I- possible lil bro.
*I've found some places in Summerlin and surrounding areas- for abt 1100-1300.
2. Get my certification in Medical Billing(January)-I have 12 years experience with MB&C just getting the
formal education on paper.
3. Look for pretty good charter middle schools and high schools.
4. Look for and secure a job(?)

My dilemma:

Now, I've read as many forums as I can search and I wanted to know:

1. How did you make your move?
2. What are the actual prices of utilities actually like out there for the seasons?
3. If you have kids, how did they adjust to living somewhere new and how was their transition into schools?
4. Do they really have to be outside for PE in extreme weather?
* Some schools in Cali still makes them even though its 90 something degrees and WHEN its pouring!
5. How is the job market when it comes to the medical field?
6. When it came to job searching did you move there first then search and secure the job or secure the job
then move?
7. How did you interview if out of state and secure the job- while still employed at your current job?
* Im planning on beginning my search for jobs in March/April- Keep in mind that I cant move until after
mid June.

Please be kind enough to give sound advice.

I think I should chime in since I am a certified medical coder with about 10 years experience. I also moved here with no job and 7K. I really was not taken seriously until I was physically here and had a local address. I applied for many jobs through indeed. The job I ended up with was one where they actually sought me out and found my resume on Indeed and aggressively recruited me. I was working about 60 days after stepping off the plane. I can't speak about housing or utilities since I rent a room with everything included. I make as much as I did in Minneapolis now and will soon be starting a second coding job to fill my nights and weekends. I think you have cause to be optimistic with your experience and that certification will be key.

I agree with joelg1988 about having a professional resume and practicing good phone etiquette. I was interviewed exclusively over the phone and was hired quickly after that. I receive emails on a weekly basis from recruiters looking for remote workers. I decline these since my schedule is full now and I prefer to physically go into work every day. Have good references and be able to pass a background check. Both of my jobs require fingerprinting which is run through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. (One of the jobs is on a military base.)

Last edited by WisconsinVegasHeights; 09-18-2018 at 04:12 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg1988 View Post
I moved from Kansas City 2 years ago with $7000 in the bank and no job. I'm bilingual, so I was confident (but not too confident) that I would get a job soon before I ran out of money. I leased my apartment online a month before moving here (I live in Summerlin) and got a job within 3 weeks of being here. I have a M-F 8-5 office job and found a job fairly easy (spent many many hours filling and sending resumes on indeed.com). I now pay $1200 for a 2 bedroom condo and pay about $100 for electricity and $100 for misc bills. Expect to pay $80+ dollars for 100 mbps internet with Cox. The only thing I hated about the move is that my car insurance went up 2.5 times here in Nevada. I quoted 20+ companies online and all of them came about the same price. I was paying $50 dollars a month for full cover insurance in Kansas.

The trick that worked for me is persistence and being good with computers because all job searches and even interviews are done online these days. Also having a professional resume and good phone etiquette goes a long way because you will be speaking to many supervisors and hiring managers on the phone.

Thank you! My mom is from Kansas City, MO! I have someone lined up to turn my resume professional. Im looking to move out of my place 5/9/2019 to a hotel; allowing me time to professionally clean the carpet and tile, paint and do a final walk through before I finally ending date of 9/15/2019. We are leaving for NV 9/16/2019.

Did you find it difficult to land a place since you didnt have a job first? Did it cost you more to move in?

Appx $200-300 in bills is better than Cali! Im a bit scared for the car ins!

I do think i need to learn a second language.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I think I should chime in since I am a certified medical coder with about 10 years experience. I also moved here with no job and 7K. I really was not taken seriously until I was physically here and had a local address. I applied for many jobs through indeed. The job I ended up with was one where they actually sought me out and found my resume on Indeed and aggressively recruited me. I was working about 60 days after stepping off the plane. I can't speak about housing or utilities since I rent a room with everything included. I make as much as I did in Minneapolis now and will soon be starting a second coding job to fill my nights and weekends. I think you have cause to be optimistic with your experience and that certification will be key.

I agree with joelg1988 about having a professional resume and practicing good phone etiquette. I was interviewed exclusively over the phone and was hired quickly after that. I receive emails on a weekly basis from recruiters looking for remote workers. I decline these since my schedule is full now and I prefer to physically go into work every day. Have good references and be able to pass a background check. Both of my jobs require fingerprinting which is run through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. (One of the jobs is on a military base.)

Thank you for sharing!

Do you find the cost of living here better than Minneapolis? Are you able to manage better making the same amount of money with the new cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas