U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM

32 posts, read 12,552 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am coming from NY, currently a teacher. Will be hired in Vegas as of next month. Not sure how the medical coverage varies from NY to Nevada. Anybody currently working who can sum it up fairly simply in terms of copayments for a regular visit, and whatever else you know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:52 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,566,583 times
It's fine as long as you don't get sick outside of Clark County. My daughter ended up in the ER in Reno and the association's representatives decided it was not coverable and refused to negotiate with the Reno hospital.

In town, the co-pays were about $20. At least on the plan I chose.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmusmrr View Post
Hey, I am coming from NY, currently a teacher. Will be hired in Vegas as of next month. Not sure how the medical coverage varies from NY to Nevada. Anybody currently working who can sum it up fairly simply in terms of copayments for a regular visit, and whatever else you know? Thanks.
Congratulations! Good luck.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 PM

6,182 posts, read 6,622,773 times
https://www.ccsd.net/resources/emplo...son-9-1-18.pdf

Old 10-23-2018, 02:39 PM

2,638 posts, read 2,912,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
It's fine as long as you don't get sick outside of Clark County. My daughter ended up in the ER in Reno and the association's representatives decided it was not coverable and refused to negotiate with the Reno hospital.

In town, the co-pays were about $20. At least on the plan I chose.

That's absolutely ridiculous! She was still within the state of Nevada.

Does this mean if you came down to Southern California for a weekend and something happened, they wouldn't cover it either?

My aunt, a California public school employee, had to fight Kaiser Permanente (California-based) when my uncle was hospitalized in Lake Havasu, Arizona. My aunt ultimately won and Kaiser ended up covering the expenses, but it was an ugly battle.

I'm sorry folks, but this is case in point why our current health care system is so broken and why we need a national, universal system!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Does this mean if you came down to Southern California for a weekend and something happened, they wouldn't cover it either?

That is exactly what it means.

One other thing, OP, the CCSD does not pay SS taxes, therefore, you are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision. It's a SS thing where you will not get the SS you have paid into prior or after working for them. It's funny how does make it into the recruitment literature. So if you are coming from a district that has paid into SS or have worked jobs outside of teaching, say bye-bye to any SS benefits you thought you are entitled to.

And, to make things even better, you will not be vested in NPERS until you have worked there five years. So, you better make sure you are going to like it.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 PM

12,414 posts, read 4,677,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
That's absolutely ridiculous! She was still within the state of Nevada.

My aunt, a California public school employee, had to fight Kaiser Permanente (California-based) when my uncle was hospitalized in Lake Havasu, Arizona. My aunt ultimately won and Kaiser ended up covering the expenses, but it was an ugly battle.

I'm sorry folks, but this is case in point why our current health care system is so broken and why we need a national, universal system!
That is a standard problem with any number of health plans. It is not peculiar to CCSD. It is the out of network exception. You can often buy travel policies to avoid a problem and you need to.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 AM

With my husbands's insurance, I am covered throughout the US pretty much anywhere.

When my daughter's bills started rolling in, the Teacher's Health Trust would not even pick up the phone to negotiate with them, which is a routine courtesy. The hospital in Reno refused to have a negotiation conversation with me; it had to come from my insurer.

They were being absolutely petty.

So glad I am not there anymore. I am so much more at peace.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 PM

2,638 posts, read 2,912,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is a standard problem with any number of health plans. It is not peculiar to CCSD. It is the out of network exception. You can often buy travel policies to avoid a problem and you need to.
So you have to take out a travel policy to go to Reno or another county in Nevada? That's just insane!

People need to really start raising hell about things like this.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 PM

32 posts, read 12,552 times
Is the loss of SS only in the CCSD or in the whole city or state no matter where you work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
That is exactly what it means.

One other thing, OP, the CCSD does not pay SS taxes, therefore, you are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision. It's a SS thing where you will not get the SS you have paid into prior or after working for them. It's funny how does make it into the recruitment literature. So if you are coming from a district that has paid into SS or have worked jobs outside of teaching, say bye-bye to any SS benefits you thought you are entitled to.

And, to make things even better, you will not be vested in NPERS until you have worked there five years. So, you better make sure you are going to like it.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Last edited by toosie; 10-26-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas