U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,542 posts, read 20,110,113 times
Reputation: 22565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Did you mean you were starving because you were living in a liberal city?
How can one forget how hypocritically liberal Las Vegas can be! Remember the laughter over the medical marijuana dispensaries, when 40 dispensaries were to open in Clark County?

Mayor Goodman: There will be no medical marijuana dispensaries in the city of Las Vegas!
Henderson: There will be no medical marijuana dispensaries in the city of Henderson
Boulder City: Ditto!
North Las Vegas: Ditto!
Mesquite: Ditto!

It still makes me laugh to think about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 PM
 
10,999 posts, read 3,842,134 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How can one forget how hypocritically liberal Las Vegas can be! Remember the laughter over the medical marijuana dispensaries, when 40 dispensaries were to open in Clark County?

Mayor Goodman: There will be no medical marijuana dispensaries in the city of Las Vegas!
Henderson: There will be no medical marijuana dispensaries in the city of Henderson
Boulder City: Ditto!
North Las Vegas: Ditto!
Mesquite: Ditto!

It still makes me laugh to think about it!
Sorry Tij you are lying. There was very little resistance to medical pot in LV. And recreational pot was also well received.

Gaming complicates all that and the intersection of federal and state law.

By the way i would consider Tucson some what of a throwback with a very weak government. Far inferior to LV. Cannot even get its streets straightened out. Worst driving environment in the SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,135 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm with you EA, I'm with you all of the way. The government already does way too much. The less they do, the better, because they don't do anything very well. It's all a lot of waste and the higher taxes never accomplish anything. Some of the states with the highest taxes, like CA, also have the highest rates of poverty, homelessness, low paying jobs, and housing shortages. It's not like as a result of the high taxes, CA is some amazing beacon of hope and freedom with pristine roads, no traffic issues, no homeless, and highly educated masses. In fact, quite the opposite, the state is a cesspool.
Really?

The 5th largest economy in the world is a "cesspool" ???

For every $1 California sends to Washington DC, we get back $0.40

The other $0.60 goes to states like Mississippi, Alabama, Indiana, South Carolina, etc., so they can keep dumping money in their church offering plates and pouring sausage gravy on everything that can't move.

If we got back just $0.20 more, it would be a different story.

California, by the way, is what powers Nevada!

If it weren't for California, Nevada would be nothing. So much of Nevada's economy is based off of residual excess spilling over from California.

"Low-paying jobs" ???? You've gotta be kidding, right?

As for the homeless issue, it wouldn't be as bad as it is if other states actually took care of their mentally ill populations, instead of sending them to California!

Nevada, Arizona, Utah and other states, are all guilty of doing this! I've seen it over and over again in the field I'm in.

Last edited by kttam186290; 11-12-2018 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,135 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Stop and talk to all the homeless I'm sure you see when you're driving around and ask what they think of liberty.

I am aghast at the number of posters here that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. How the hell is someone who is a paraplegic supposed to fend for themselves? Yeah, I know, "They can get a job." And pray tell me how are they going to afford the necessary items to not only get there, but simply get out of their house?

When they do get there are you going to volunteer to feed them and take them to the toilet?

I didn't think so.
That's Red State America for you!



They got theirs. Screw everyone else.

Quite a few right-wing sociopaths on these forums.

As part of my job, I've had to attend upwards of 10 symposiums on homelessness and at every-single-one there is new data, new stories, new information coming out. So many people slip through the cracks. They fight and fight as hard as they can, but get nowhere.

People with autism are homeless because they said the "wrong thing" and were deemed unhirable afterwards.

This isn't a joke and so many people are blissfully ignorant about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM
 
292 posts, read 97,976 times
Reputation: 778
I'm awaiting a wedding invitation from EA and NickyDim any day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,135 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I'm awaiting a wedding invitation from EA and NickyDim any day now.
And an "adoption party" thereafter for Little Jonathan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,542 posts, read 20,110,113 times
Reputation: 22565
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry Tij you are lying. There was very little resistance to medical pot in LV. And recreational pot was also well received.

Gaming complicates all that and the intersection of federal and state law.

By the way i would consider Tucson some what of a throwback with a very weak government. Far inferior to LV. Cannot even get its streets straightened out. Worst driving environment in the SW.
No resistance? The voters approved medical marijuana on a 2000 ballot, and it took 15 years to open the first dispensary, thanks to Tick Segerblom, otherwise it might have dragged on for another 5-10 years.

I used to read the LV Review Journal every day and I distinctly recall Mayor Goodman's comments on proposed dispensaries in the city of Las Vegas. No, I'm not lying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,870 posts, read 9,539,778 times
Reputation: 15232
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is an excellent case made that health care is a thing better served up by the government than by private enterprise. We simply do far worse at a much higher cost than other developed nations.
There is also an excellent case that the extremely high cost of healthcare in the USA is a function of government involvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
 
1,086 posts, read 1,741,025 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
:

For every $1 California sends to Washington DC, we get back $0.40

The other $0.60 goes to states like Mississippi, Alabama, Indiana, South Carolina, etc., so they can keep dumping money in their church offering plates and pouring sausage gravy on everything that can't move.

If we got back just $0.20 more, it would be a different story.
Okay, I usually have learned to stay off your posts because you seem to have unlimited time to get on the internet and refute anything anyone has to say (kind of like Cliff Claven of Cheers), but this time, people might actually believe stuff you are spewing and that needs to be corrected. Perhaps you should stay on the California boards where you and your friends can tell fibs between yourselves and chuckle about the "uneducated" conservatives (you said on another board that only uneducated people would be conservatives).

First off, if you are going to tout California as a state that pays more than it receives, perhaps you should back up your amounts with facts--something that liberals are quite happy use when it benefits them, but ignore when it isn't beneficial. FACT: California does pay in more than it receives, but that amount is quite a bit less than you say.

This bunch says California gets back .99 for each dollar it sends in. https://lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/3531/2

Even the highly respected Associated Press say Cal. receives .96 for each dollar it sends in.
https://www.apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c

Next:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
:
California, by the way, is what powers Nevada!

If it weren't for California, Nevada would be nothing. So much of Nevada's economy is based off of residual excess spilling over from California.
While I will admit that Nevada gets a large part of it's economy off of Californians anxious to throw away their money at the gaming tables, Nevada is not completely destitute without them. In fact, many Californians now throw away their money at Indian casinos right in their home state instead of traveling to Nevada. Would we take a hit if California was to slide off into the ocean during an earthquake? Undoubtedly! Would people leave Nevada as casinos folded because no Californians are coming here? Perhaps, perhaps not. After all there are still 49 other states (including people who live in Nevada and gamble) and the rest of the world with people who like to come to Nevada to vacation. Would our gold mines (producing the second largest amount of gold in the world, only behind South Africa) be affected? Not at all. In fact, mining revenues for the state in 2016 were $8.14 billion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ines_in_Nevada) and gaming revenues were $11.1 billion (https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...on-gaming-win/) almost equal amounts. So considering that Californians are not the only ones visiting Nevada, I think we could weather it.

Lastly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
:

As for the homeless issue, it wouldn't be as bad as it is if other states actually took care of their mentally ill populations, instead of sending them to California!
Please! While I'm sure this happens and probably quite frequently, I would say many of the homeless in California are home-grown. And, come on, let's face it, many of the homeless gravitate to California because of the weather. If you were homeless, would you rather spend your winters here in Las Vegas where this morning's low was 37. or in sunny California, perhaps in San Diego where this morning's low was 55?

Oh, and just in case you get on here and tell me I must be uneducated because I'm a conservative, I am a college grad and my wife (also a conservative) is a practicing physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
 
10,999 posts, read 3,842,134 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There is also an excellent case that the extremely high cost of healthcare in the USA is a function of government involvement.
It might well be that the interaction of government and free enterprise costs on the health care front.

Still there is an overpowering case that single payer is less expensive and provides a better outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top