U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:19 AM
EA

5,533 posts, read 4,707,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
So you're ability to live or die should be based on your income?

Nice Mad Max world going on there! No thanks!

It's called natural selection and it works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:00 AM

215 posts, read 61,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but the base of our health care system is free enterprise. There of course is some government regulation ass there will always be in free enterprise systems.

I note that in your opinion it is not free enterprise but that is simply your opinion and has no basis in fact.

And actually the insurance companies control more of the health care system than the government.

Lasik is a procedure generally left outside of the insurance company reach as voluntary. And it is a marketplace that has proven to be quite competitive.

However try and get a good buy on a high end hearing aid...another slice not covered by insurance. And quite clearly highway robbery. So being outside the insurance system does not guarantee competitive pricing.
I just experienced the reality of hearing aid costs. The audiologist told me a baseline hearing aid as well as the one she recommended were 2100.00 and actually they go up to 7k.

Insurance does not cover this cost at all. Luckily my hearing is still viable to the point that I do not absolutely need them at this time.

Old Today, 09:18 AM

343 posts, read 198,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I'd say it's quite the opposite. Insurance companies would LOVE to deny you coverage when you drink, smoke, etc. They'll love ANY reason to deny you coverage. Remember the whole pre-existing conditions thing? They don't even want to cover you once you've gotten a disease even if it was through no fault of your own.

The govt is already going to pay for any non-insured emergency room stays due to the Emergency Medical Treatment Act.
The govt makes insurance companies cover pre existing conditions because it's not the govt providing the coverage. If they become the one and only payor they will stop at nothing to keep down what would be easily the most expensive cost in our national budget, dwarfing our military budget. And if you trust the govt to put your needs before costs you are naive.

The ability to choose your health care needs is the only way to assure quality. What you described above, how insurance companies would and want to eliminate would be exactly the attitude of the govt once they are the payor.

Last edited by nickydim; Today at 09:31 AM..

Old Today, 12:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,108,955 times
If (and that is a very big IF) you were a member of the Military (and there are many Vets in LV so not quite as big of an if as in many other places) and you need hearing aids, The V.A. will give you some, virtually no questions asked.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case any of you complaining about the cost of hearing aids are Vets. Hearing aids are the only time I have used my V.A. Benefits.

Also, the cost of hearing aids is coming way down for those that do not have access to freebies from the V.A. Check out ihearmedical.com and you can order their "do it yourself" hearing test and purchase a pair of hearing aids from them, if needed, for under $1000.

Old Today, 12:40 PM
EA

5,533 posts, read 4,707,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I just experienced the reality of hearing aid costs. The audiologist told me a baseline hearing aid as well as the one she recommended were 2100.00 and actually they go up to 7k.

Insurance does not cover this cost at all. Luckily my hearing is still viable to the point that I do not absolutely need them at this time.

There's plenty of cheaper alternatives. Don't let the racket get you.

https://www.hearingdirect.com/us/hd-...iABEgKO7fD_BwE

Old Today, 03:49 PM

12,870 posts, read 9,539,778 times
Quote:

Check out Costco's hearing aids.

Old Today, 04:28 PM

10,999 posts, read 3,842,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Check out Costco's hearing aids.
That is the suggestion of my primary care physician. She particularly liked the Costco on Charleston at 215. Said they were competent and more cost effective than most audiologists.

Old Today, 06:52 PM

27,035 posts, read 38,285,206 times
Quote:

My last hearing aids were over 5k. Insurance paid $2.5k.

You've got the wrong insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or