Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,579,971 times

Advertisements

Not trying to take sides here.

According to the results, Democrats solidly own the state, with only one statewide office going to a Republican--secretary of state. The Assembly and Senate are both in the hands of the Democrats, as they have been since the last election. And the AG is now Democratic.

So, what's on tap next? Not looking for hyperbole here, just curious about people's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
I'm expecting higher taxes, more crime, and higher costs in general.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM

452 posts, read 336,332 times
yeah higher taxes and more welfare

Old 11-07-2018, 06:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,479 times
No need for higher taxes.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm expecting higher taxes, more crime, and higher costs in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
yeah higher taxes and more welfare
Some minor tax increases to support education might well be in order. But virtually any tax increase in NV requires a vote of the citizens. I would also like to see some increases in the state take on gambling. NV gets far less than most US gaming taxes. Not a huge increase...we understand where our bread is buttered...but a little more to support NV.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Some minor tax increases to support education might well be in order. But virtually any tax increase in NV requires a vote of the citizens. I would also like to see some increases in the state take on gambling. NV gets far less than most US gaming taxes. Not a huge increase...we understand where our bread is buttered...but a little more to support NV.

What would happen if they raised taxes for "education"?

Well, a couple people would get richer and our kids would still be taught useless garbage.

Why should the government take more money from businesses, or individuals for that matter?

Seriously. What is the government doing with all our money?

Not a damn thing for we the people. They do not need to take more taxes. They take car too much as it is.
They need to take far less and make it last for everything they're constitutionally required to do and nothing more.

I don't want to pay for lifelong pay for elected officials. I don't want to pay for political golf outings. I don't want to pay for welfare. I don't want to pay for corporate welfare. I don't want to pay for 99.9% of what the government is spending money on.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
I'm with you EA, I'm with you all of the way. The government already does way too much. The less they do, the better, because they don't do anything very well. It's all a lot of waste and the higher taxes never accomplish anything. Some of the states with the highest taxes, like CA, also have the highest rates of poverty, homelessness, low paying jobs, and housing shortages. It's not like as a result of the high taxes, CA is some amazing beacon of hope and freedom with pristine roads, no traffic issues, no homeless, and highly educated masses. In fact, quite the opposite, the state is a cesspool.

The good news is I don't see much that democrats can really do to screw up Nevada's tax situation that much, what are they going to do, raise sales taxes? Those hurt the poor and lower classes the most, anyone who knows anything about economics understands that, and they can't touch the no income tax state situation because that would never fly, it's against the state constitution and I don't see that changing. So they could raise some business tax, but I doubt it, because Nevada really needs more business growth outside of the hospitality industry. Then again, never doubt a democrat's complete lack of understanding of how the economy works. It's always, "Oh just tax business and rich people, nothing bad could happen from that!" lol.

It is sad to see that Nevada has become a bit more blue and a bit less purple, but I hope that it's largely because people in Nevada are socially liberal (which I support, as someone who has a "live and let live" attitude), rather than that they want to turn Nevada into another California. I don't think they'd get much support there, honestly, considering how many Californians have fled that state to Nevada and hopefully understand why their previous state is falling apart.

I'm a bit surprised that a state I admire so much could have ever elected a guy like Harry Reid, who has to be one of the biggest embarrassments to the state of all time, and a complete tool.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
What would happen if they raised taxes for "education"?

Well, a couple people would get richer and our kids would still be taught useless garbage.

Why should the government take more money from businesses, or individuals for that matter?

Seriously. What is the government doing with all our money?

Not a damn thing for we the people. They do not need to take more taxes. They take car too much as it is.
They need to take far less and make it last for everything they're constitutionally required to do and nothing more.

I don't want to pay for lifelong pay for elected officials. I don't want to pay for political golf outings. I don't want to pay for welfare. I don't want to pay for corporate welfare. I don't want to pay for 99.9% of what the government is spending money on.
Pretty much pure silliness.

You elect officials who negotiate retirement contracts. I too am not fond of some of the deals. The Police and Fire Fighters are both well paid and then get outrageous retirement deals. But that is the fault of those who we elect and our failure to get the cost of these programs properly evaluated when struck.

If you wish to argue for other education systems go for it. I, my children, and their children all found it a worthwhile system. But if you have a better one propose it and get it adopted. I suspect BS but who knows.

When you start idiocy like 99.9% you do not deserve a hearing. Your view is simply absurd.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
There are so many bureaus and organizations and things we spend money on without hardly knowing what they are, or never having heard of them, it's a fair assumption that the vast majority of taxes are just wasted to no real benefit of 90% of the people living anywhere. For all of the taxes I pay, what do I actually benefit from any given year? Military protection, seems obvious, the presence of police but I never have to call them because I'm in a nice area, but I'll say they are needed, fire protection, again don't use it but you have to have it, so that's obvious. The roads, certainly those are of critical importance. How much taxes is really required for that, though? Police should generate a lot of revenue on tickets and fines alone, the DMV should be charging enough money on vehicle registrations to fund most of the roads, so at least those are areas where theoretically the income could match the spending if you calibrated it properly.

The government is simply not needed to do much unless you're looking for handouts, and if you're doing that, maybe get a job and make money, then you don't have that problem. Not hard to understand. Back in the day, he who works, eats. If you don't want to starve, get a job and earn money.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Pretty much pure silliness.

You elect officials who negotiate retirement contracts. I too am not fond of some of the deals. The Police and Fire Fighters are both well paid and then get outrageous retirement deals. But that is the fault of those who we elect and our failure to get the cost of these programs properly evaluated when struck.

If you wish to argue for other education systems go for it. I, my children, and their children all found it a worthwhile system. But if you have a better one propose it and get it adopted. I suspect BS but who knows.

When you start idiocy like 99.9% you do not deserve a hearing. Your view is simply absurd.

No. I don't elect officials. Gerrymandered districts elect officials. Then lobbyists, on behalf of others, bribe said elected officials til they do what the lobbyist wants.

I would, as I've said numerous times, implement aspects of Japanese and Nordic education systems.
Americans waste a lot of money on education and the results are **** poor. It's undeniable.

I could go down the list and mark down everything the government does but shouldn't. I'm willing to bet that it's closer to 99.9% than it is to 90. There's very little the government should be doing.

And I notice you couldn't defend government spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas