U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:25 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,291,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It's NOT the cell phones. I wish people could wrap their head around that. People have been wrecking on a daily basis since before there were computers. People suck at driving not because they're distracted, because they're not taught how to actually drive, and they're not taught to value other people or their stuff.

Japan has 128 million people and 3500 fatal wrecks.
America has 320 million people an 40,000 fatal wrecks.

Less than 3 times the people, over 10 times the fatal wrecks. Do they not have cell phones in Japan? Do they not have distraction in Japan?

Germany has 82 million citizens and 3200 fatal wrecks. They also have roads with no speed limits and untold number of people from other countries driving through.

The difference is both countries have rigorous testing. In Japan most people don't get their license on the first attempt because the test is too hard. They also have to take 30 hours of instruction. They can only take 2 hours of it a day. In Germany it takes 2 weeks and 2,000 dollars to get a license.
The roads in those countries are much safer than here and they have just as many cell phones.

Teach people how to drive it's as simple as that.
It's called earning things and being rewarded. It's not the American way. Any idiot can go buy an ar15 and a Hummer, you know, practical things.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

232 posts, read 150,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Amen to that
nope,you don't know what hell is until you work OUTSIDE in one of these cities.

Old Today, 07:41 AM

3,327 posts, read 5,349,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
If you know anything at all about trucking you'd know that your scenario is way further out that 10 years, plus, at best they will basically compete with railway trailers and long haul. I don't ever see it replacing local driving. There are too many variables and too much driver input needed. Plus, no one wants 80k+ vehicles running them over like the automated cars/cabs have been doing.

Most local type jobs require loading and unloading by the driver.
I think it's not so much knowing about trucking as it is understanding how much hype is being fostered by the media when it comes to autonomous vehicles. Progress is being made but realistically the tech is FAR from usable on a widespread basis on public roads with all the variables such a situation presents.

Old Today, 10:18 AM

1,328 posts, read 263,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I think it's not so much knowing about trucking as it is understanding how much hype is being fostered by the media when it comes to autonomous vehicles. Progress is being made but realistically the tech is FAR from usable on a widespread basis on public roads with all the variables such a situation presents.
It is partially not knowing though....for instance; I haul crude oil...I have to navigate dirt roads, measure how much oil is in the tanks, work the oil to see it's gravity, temp and how pure it is. Then I hook up hoses...sometomes up to 40', open valves and record seal serial numbers, load the oil and put new seals on after closing valves and putting the hoses away. I drive to the unload facility and reverse the process and then record the barrel count on my computer.

When I worked delivering groceries, I had to back a 53' trailer and sleeper cab up to the front doors of 7/11's and run 2-6,000# of product down a ramp and into the store, do a count and the go to the next store...

I don't EVER see any of this being automated. They'd spent more money trying to buiold snd maintain the system than it would ever be worth!

The type of people predicting this stuff are the same type that thought we'd all be driving flying acrs by now too!

Old Today, 10:29 AM

166 posts, read 37,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Youíll keep telling yourself this all the way to the unemployment line. 10 years is a really long in technology especially when the reward is so clear as automated trucking is. We already have vehicles on the road and they are using machine learning so the systems are going to improve over time just by driving. Then you add in that sensor and other relevant technologies will improve dramatically in 10 years...automated long haul and short distances trucking is very close and itís going to be much safer. Clearly some routes like in Alaska may require a human but most areas that are paved will not.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,060,677 times
I agree, I don't see most of what you're doing being automated, at least not any time soon.

The first big trucking automation of major value will probably be having regular paid drivers do the local work and drop the trucks at a staging area of I-40 (or some highway). The automated driving takes from the staging area near Atlanta (or wherever) to Barstow (or wherever). A local driver picks it up from Barstow staging and drives it to the end destination/unloads/etc. That's still saving days of OTR driving.

That's a pretty realistic scope for automation. I'd guess we're 3-5 years from seeing that sort of thing on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
The type of people predicting this stuff are the same type that thought we'd all be driving flying acrs by now too!

Old Today, 01:19 PM
EA

5,539 posts, read 4,715,556 times
"I have to navigate dirt roads" They can do it already, they're just refining it.
"measure how much oil is in the tanks" sensors can do that
"work the oil to see it's gravity" Had to google this. Seems like something a sensor could do but I could be wrong.
"Then I hook up hoses" is this not something an attendant could do when the truck arrives?
"open valves and record seal serial numbers" easily automated
"load the oil and put new seals on after closing valves and putting the hoses away" Attendant can do that. Seals are just government bs that can be done away with. But if they can't the attendant can do it.
"I drive to the unload facility and reverse the process and then record the barrel count on my computer."
Can be automated and an attendant at the lot can do the rest.

Go to youtube and look up Boston Dynamics. They already have walking, jumping, flipping robots. There's really nothing they won't be able to do really soon. Technology moves extremely fast. There's a lot of money to be made automating. BIG companies are already competing for it. It took us 8 years to get to the moon in the 60s. Tesla has had self driving cars for a few years. Companies have been working on them for 10 years or so. They've done offroad rallies. It's a hell of a lot closer than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas