Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,095,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The scammers are the police and Muni workers getting frequent overtime. I'll bet the median is closer to the 18 mark... The free school lunch numbers say a lot, too. As well as a large number of people on subsidized housing....Obama had a lot of luck with a shrinking workforce to boost the numbers. Many, are not even considered part of the workforce, but would take a decent job, if available.

My kids whole schools get free lunch. We don't qualify for it but are getting it anyway. Same deal last year. So those numbers aren't accurate either.

If I was single 18 would be fine. If I had just a gf with a job 18 plus her money would be fantastic.
But with kids it's a lot more expensive.

My bills are 3600 a month. I don't even have cable tv.
That's 22.5 an hour after taxes. So needless to say I need closer to 30 just to be broke

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM

628 posts, read 396,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
My kids whole schools get free lunch. We don't qualify for it but are getting it anyway. Same deal last year. So those numbers aren't accurate either.

If I was single 18 would be fine. If I had just a gf with a job 18 plus her money would be fantastic.
But with kids it's a lot more expensive.

My bills are 3600 a month. I don't even have cable tv.
That's 22.5 an hour after taxes. So needless to say I need closer to 30 just to be broke
That's a pretty accurate appraisal. At 30.00 per hour you would net about $3700 every four weeks.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 PM

The average salary in Las Vegas, Nevada is $47,942. Trends in wages are going down with a 2 percent decrease over last quarter as of Q2 2018. The cost of living in Las Vegas is 3.3 percent more expensive than the national average.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
The average salary in Las Vegas, Nevada is $47,942. Trends in wages are going down with a 2 percent decrease over last quarter as of Q2 2018. The cost of living in Las Vegas is 3.3 percent more expensive than the national average.
Note that data source is noisy...I very much doubt there was a 2% drop in Q2 2018. Look at a couple of years data and it will smooth out.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
Quote:
That does sound a bit more realistic. I had thought 60k was the average salary per person.
Is it true that Obama care caps your income at 64K in order to qualify for any assistance with the cost of health insurance? I may exceed this if I can sustain both jobs that I now have.

Yes that is the max, plus you pay more tax with the 2nd job

Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Yes that is the max, plus you pay more tax with the 2nd job
One of my co-workers pointed out how difficult it is for the middle class to get ahead. I tend to agree with her.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,063,026 times
ACA has income limits for the assistance based on household size used when filing your taxes. As a single person the income limit is around 48k. A two person household is around 64k limit combined income. The limit goes up as you add additional dependents.

Quote:
Is it true that Obama care caps your income at 64K in order to qualify for any assistance with the cost of health insurance? I may exceed this if I can sustain both jobs that I now have.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 PM
EA

Quote:
One of my co-workers pointed out how difficult it is for the middle class to get ahead. I tend to agree with her.

That is because people like to finance things they can't afford to prove to people they're middle class instead of living within their means. I'm financing a cheap used car and that's it. The only reason I didn't get a cash car is having a newer car makes me money. That and safety standards. I get hit too much to have a tin can car.
I know way too many people making 30-50k financing 300k houses and 50-75k cars.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
That is because people like to finance things they can't afford to prove to people they're middle class instead of living within their means. I'm financing a cheap used car and that's it. The only reason I didn't get a cash car is having a newer car makes me money. That and safety standards. I get hit too much to have a tin can car.
I know way too many people making 30-50k financing 300k houses and 50-75k cars.
One of the factors that compels me to avoid buying a car is the fact that I have owned three lemons in my life. I had an 82 Lebaron, an 85 town car, and a 99 Contour. All three sucked me dry repeatedly.

I would say I am very stubborn about remaining debt free and living below my means.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM
EA

When I first moved here I was HORRIBLE with money. I was that person who financed a 40k truck with no job and ended up having it repoed.
Scoop and a couple other people (not on the forum) introduced me to sites like Mrmoneymustache to get my finances in order. I've been doing alright ever since.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from my jewish mormon friend (lol) he told me to write down every penny I spent over the course of a month. I did and looked at it. It was shocking what I was wasting money on. A dollar here, 3 dollars there. It's insane how fast that adds up. I was spending 200 a month on coffee at one point.
So now I look at every purchase and ask myself if it will add value to my life. Keeps me from buying a whole lot of crap.
Now I'm much more interested in setting up passive income and my own businesses.
Right now I have an online store selling performance parts, a fabrication business, and I'm working on opening up a brick and mortar brake shop.
I haven't had a w2 in over 2 years and I never want one again. I wake up when I want, work when I want, and pay my bills. I still have a ways to go before I'm wealthy, but I'm a whole lot closer than I was a couple of years ago and it's all thanks to 3 or 4 people who shared the right information with me.

Without that advice I'd still be floundering at some job I hated with no chance of getting ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas