U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,878 posts, read 9,558,042 times
Reputation: 15270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
I do not want to derail this lovely thread any more but you are trumpeting the old “America is a meritocracy” myth which is false. In addition, facts are that there are less jobs, Americans are making less money, college tuition is increasing, and so is the cost of living...these are facts and not subject to your interpretation.
If you're so inclined, I invite you to start one over in the Economics forum.

 
Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 AM
 
Location: California
166 posts, read 37,368 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If you're so inclined, I invite you to start one over in the Economics forum.
You can if you wish.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
663 posts, read 461,183 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Computer coding is HUGE and there's a serious demand for coders. You don't need a college degree if you can demonstrate skills. These jobs START at 100k. A lot of them you can do at home in your underwear.
I have a hard time believing that. Did you mean software engineering? Sitting at home with no degree, having computer coding skills making 100k+. Hmm... I mean I suppose that's possible but seems like a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Nurses and other medical workers are needed. 50k+ a year.
I made 2.5x that amount as a local RN last year. Vegas is generous toward most medical professions.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,539 posts, read 4,715,556 times
Reputation: 5986
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I have a hard time believing that. Did you mean software engineering? Sitting at home with no degree, having computer coding skills making 100k+. Hmm... I mean I suppose that's possible but seems like a stretch.


I made 2.5x that amount as a local RN last year. Vegas is generous toward most medical professions.



I'm not a computer wiz. So I might be confusing the terms. But the people doing computer things for these companies like google are absolutely making 6 figure salaries. I personally know several that work from home and make well over 100k a year. Some have to do some office time every once in a while, but are at home most of the time.

2 of them have no degree at all. Self taught. I won't say that they don't have obstacles without a degree, but a lot of these companies only care about the skill. If you can demonstrate your skill, you'll get the job.


As far as the nursing goes, I put 50k+ because there's so many different types of nurse. 50k seems to be able the starting point.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:15 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 5,714,634 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm not a computer wiz. So I might be confusing the terms. But the people doing computer things for these companies like google are absolutely making 6 figure salaries. I personally know several that work from home and make well over 100k a year. Some have to do some office time every once in a while, but are at home most of the time.

2 of them have no degree at all. Self taught. I won't say that they don't have obstacles without a degree, but a lot of these companies only care about the skill. If you can demonstrate your skill, you'll get the job.


As far as the nursing goes, I put 50k+ because there's so many different types of nurse. 50k seems to be able the starting point.
Do you think there would be enough of those kinds of jobs to employ most people? Enough for most people to put themselves into debt in order to give themselves at chance at those jobs?

Unions are not easy to get into. Its not like they constantly out there looking for more and more people. If they were, they certainly cannot be making those wages.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,862 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Ok so you rent whole house. Can I ask how many bedrooms and baths, and is there a garage/driveway, and yard space?
3 bedrooms
2.5 bathrooms
2 car garage
Decent sized Backyard with lemon trees
All updated bathrooms and kitchen
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,862 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
As a foreigner here I'm interested in a few things you wrote, so forgive me for quoting you and picking at lots of things, I'm genuinely curious about them, and in part they are aimed at the general USA, not you in particular.



Does the hibachi chef get a share of the regular service tip that people leave? If not, and you tip the hibachi guy would you reduce the tip on the service line since the hibachi guy has done the work? -If no, doesn't tipping at a hibachi then become like 30% which is getting a bit ridiculous?




I'm curious why you think the customer is the one that should be "paying for service". I dont write him a pay check, employ him, check his INS status or set up his 401k. His EMPLOYER does that, a tip is just supposed to be a little extra for a job well done and it is quite literally by its definition giving money away. Sure, in the USA servers etc have come to rely massively on their tips, but coming from someone that is a 20% tipper when in the USA, I find it quite an interesting phenomenon where it is directly the customers that have to foot this guys living, particularly since you say "on top of a great salary". And, as contentious as it may be I dont particularly think it is my (and by 'my' I mean collectively the customers) job to be elevating every server, waiter, cocktail waitress and hibachi chefs salary to the $100k++ per year level.

Its the same interesting thing where if I order a $100 bottle of wine in a restaurant vs a $20 bottle, well, on one I'm supposed to be tipping $20 and the other one I'm tipping $4, what the hell extra has the server done for that difference in money. Sorry, it doesnt really make sense.



I generally find the ones screaming about how much money have, generally have the least and are financed up to their eyeballs.

It is unfortunate that employers do create a situation that forces their employees to make a living off of tips. As far as hibachi chefs go, the salary/house pay out/tip situation are varied from restaurant to restaurant. But no- he never makes 30% of a tip out. At the most, he receives 7% from the bill tips. My husband does make a decent salary as opposed to a waitress because of the work he does for the restaurant operations. He doesn’t just go from table to table. But hibachi is also a show- he’s providing entertainment, not just food so the tipping etiquette is different. I completely understand your confusion on the subject of a 20 vs 100 bottle of wine. I didn’t make the rules. It would probably make everyone’s jobs easier to make a living wage and not have tips but unfortunately employers are greedy and this system works best for them.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,539 posts, read 4,715,556 times
Reputation: 5986
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do you think there would be enough of those kinds of jobs to employ most people? Enough for most people to put themselves into debt in order to give themselves at chance at those jobs?

Unions are not easy to get into. Its not like they constantly out there looking for more and more people. If they were, they certainly cannot be making those wages.

Good question. This can be answered by looking at North Dakota. When the oil boom hit, everyone rushed in to take the 6 figure jobs. This left low paying jobs vacant. However, the money from the high wage jobs was flowing like Niagra. So this made local small businesses offer 20 bucks an hour at previously minimum wage jobs. And the money from the high wage earners was able to pay for it. The economy is symbiotic.
All parts need to function for it to work properly. If any sector gets skewed, it throws off the whole thing.
There needs to be a balance.

So, basically, if people actually start going after, and getting, these high paying, high skill jobs, instead of being satisfied with low wage, low skill jobs, they will create a vacuum in the low wage arena which will cause those employers to raise wages to get workers. All those people in the high pay arena, will be able to afford the higher increase in cost associated with the higher pay in the low pay arena.


The issue is people aren't going after these jobs. Schools, parents, and the government are doing a horrible job preparing people for the current labor force. We're also failing to prepare them for life in general. These kids we're churning out have no idea about any of this stuff.
We need young adults to take these in demand jobs not just because the jobs are in demand, but for the health of the economy. We have so many relatively smart kids wasting their time and brain on menial low pay jobs. This doesn't help anyone.



A lot of people still think blue collar work is beneath them and low paying. It's over 40 an hour here plus benefits. It's even more in bigger cities. Foreman get even more. And a good worker can even negotiate a higher wage. We had a Mexican dude that could do literally anything, do it quick, and do it right. He was getting 50 an hour because he was worth every penny. They would find trivial crap for him in slow times just to make sure he didn't leave the company.

Unions are not that hard to get into, especially right now. If you're interested, message me, I'll put you in touch with the Carpenter's union president.

Fundamentally I disagree with unionization because it interferes with market forces. BUT unions are great for the workers and I can't fault people for taking advantage of the situation. I made a lot of money in the union and really enjoyed the work.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 5,714,634 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Good question. This can be answered by looking at North Dakota. When the oil boom hit, everyone rushed in to take the 6 figure jobs. This left low paying jobs vacant. However, the money from the high wage jobs was flowing like Niagra. So this made local small businesses offer 20 bucks an hour at previously minimum wage jobs. And the money from the high wage earners was able to pay for it. The economy is symbiotic.
All parts need to function for it to work properly. If any sector gets skewed, it throws off the whole thing.
There needs to be a balance.

So, basically, if people actually start going after, and getting, these high paying, high skill jobs, instead of being satisfied with low wage, low skill jobs, they will create a vacuum in the low wage arena which will cause those employers to raise wages to get workers. All those people in the high pay arena, will be able to afford the higher increase in cost associated with the higher pay in the low pay arena.


The issue is people aren't going after these jobs. Schools, parents, and the government are doing a horrible job preparing people for the current labor force. We're also failing to prepare them for life in general. These kids we're churning out have no idea about any of this stuff.
We need young adults to take these in demand jobs not just because the jobs are in demand, but for the health of the economy. We have so many relatively smart kids wasting their time and brain on menial low pay jobs. This doesn't help anyone.



A lot of people still think blue collar work is beneath them and low paying. It's over 40 an hour here plus benefits. It's even more in bigger cities. Foreman get even more. And a good worker can even negotiate a higher wage. We had a Mexican dude that could do literally anything, do it quick, and do it right. He was getting 50 an hour because he was worth every penny. They would find trivial crap for him in slow times just to make sure he didn't leave the company.

Unions are not that hard to get into, especially right now. If you're interested, message me, I'll put you in touch with the Carpenter's union president.

Fundamentally I disagree with unionization because it interferes with market forces. BUT unions are great for the workers and I can't fault people for taking advantage of the situation. I made a lot of money in the union and really enjoyed the work.
ND may not be a great example. ND local businesses can jump up their prices because they are literally the only game in town or for several hundred miles. As that place does develop, then more competition will move in, and everything will even out. It will be like any other mid tier city if indeed the Bakken becomes like a Ghawar Field and supplies this country with steady oil.

Sure I will message you.
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,539 posts, read 4,715,556 times
Reputation: 5986
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
ND may not be a great example. ND local businesses can jump up their prices because they are literally the only game in town or for several hundred miles. As that place does develop, then more competition will move in, and everything will even out. It will be like any other mid tier city if indeed the Bakken becomes like a Ghawar Field and supplies this country with steady oil.

Sure I will message you.

It's very localized, but it's scalable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top