Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times

Advertisements

Computer tech is all well and good, but the FASTEST and cheapest way to a good paying job is trucking. The school is only 30 days and jobs start at 40-50K. Many companies will pay for your school, but LV has workers programs that provide full grants to pay for the school. Trucking sucks in many ways but overall it's a good career field. There's no shortage of companies hiring once you get a year or two under your belt.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:56 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
There's so many ways to make good money right now. There's no excuse to be poor in 2018.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cell phones. Add a huge fine and enforce it.

Last night a driver came flying past us and we caught a red light. I drove away and watched the vehicle sit at the light. 35 mph and I was 3 blocks away before a curve stopped my view and they were still there.

Cell phones. Add a huge fine and enforce it.

It's NOT the cell phones. I wish people could wrap their head around that. People have been wrecking on a daily basis since before there were computers. People suck at driving not because they're distracted, because they're not taught how to actually drive, and they're not taught to value other people or their stuff.

Japan has 128 million people and 3500 fatal wrecks.
America has 320 million people an 40,000 fatal wrecks.

Less than 3 times the people, over 10 times the fatal wrecks. Do they not have cell phones in Japan? Do they not have distraction in Japan?

Germany has 82 million citizens and 3200 fatal wrecks. They also have roads with no speed limits and untold number of people from other countries driving through.

The difference is both countries have rigorous testing. In Japan most people don't get their license on the first attempt because the test is too hard. They also have to take 30 hours of instruction. They can only take 2 hours of it a day. In Germany it takes 2 weeks and 2,000 dollars to get a license.
The roads in those countries are much safer than here and they have just as many cell phones.

Teach people how to drive it's as simple as that.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:37 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'd be leary about going into trucking now. Yes, at the moment you'll likely do okay. But they are working on automated trucks, and there's a huge pot of gold for the trucking companies if they can get it to work. In ten years, truckers may go the way of travel agents. So if short term is what you need, do it. But have an exit strategy.

As far as tech, it's a good industry, but not really for Vegas. There are much better cities for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Computer tech is all well and good, but the FASTEST and cheapest way to a good paying job is trucking. The school is only 30 days and jobs start at 40-50K. Many companies will pay for your school, but LV has workers programs that provide full grants to pay for the school. Trucking sucks in many ways but overall it's a good career field. There's no shortage of companies hiring once you get a year or two under your belt.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd be leary about going into trucking now. Yes, at the moment you'll likely do okay. But they are working on automated trucks, and there's a huge pot of gold for the trucking companies if they can get it to work. In ten years, truckers may go the way of travel agents. So if short term is what you need, do it. But have an exit strategy.

As far as tech, it's a good industry, but not really for Vegas. There are much better cities for this.

Same with rideshare. There's a lot of people using it as their only income. They assume it will last forever.
For me I used it as a stepping stone. I drove one day this month mainly because the wife needed a break from me. lol. I've been working from home every day.
What's funny is there's a company "giving" away "free" dash cams to rideshare drivers. They're collecting the data to sell to autonomous car companies. These idiots are helping render their selves useless.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:18 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
You don't know what Hell is until you have spent a Summer in Phoenix....
Amen to that

Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:

If you know anything at all about trucking you'd know that your scenario is way further out that 10 years, plus, at best they will basically compete with railway trailers and long haul. I don't ever see it replacing local driving. There are too many variables and too much driver input needed. Plus, no one wants 80k+ vehicles running them over like the automated cars/cabs have been doing.

Most local type jobs require loading and unloading by the driver.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
If you know anything at all about trucking you'd know that your scenario is way further out that 10 years, plus, at best they will basically compete with railway trailers and long haul. I don't ever see it replacing local driving. There are too many variables and too much driver input needed. Plus, no one wants 80k+ vehicles running them over like the automated cars/cabs have been doing.

The cars aren't hitting people. People are hitting the cars. And even that is happening at a far lower rate than human drivers. It's not nearly as far out as you think it is.
There's already autonomous shuttles downtown.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM

265 posts, read 204,820 times
If you come from a big city, you won't be phased much by some of the stuff that goes on here.

I live in a gated community near the strip with a beautiful view of the strip, I guess I live in the ghetto.

People who talk about the ghetto here have no idea what the ghetto really is other bigger cities.

Get good high end locks, secure your doors, have insurance and don't be flashy and things will be fine.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:21 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:

Trucks have been autonomous for over a decade. Anyone who watches the Simpsons knows this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas