U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
 
95 posts, read 61,068 times
Reputation: 80

Advertisements

I have seen a decent rise in rents, but it is unusual for me to have any vacancy. This year I had two, both rented in 48 hours to good tenants. I have a corporate type shorter term place in Scotch 80's area, all furnished, and it rented i n2 weeks for 3 months+ more if they like. It is $2,700 a month + utilties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,127 posts, read 3,836,405 times
Reputation: 10166
I can only compare rents between LV Valley and DFW area because that’s my limited knowledge and both have relatively low housing costs for major metro areas. Rents are cheaper in the LV Valley, and housing is generally more expensive than in the Dallas area where I own investment properties. The reason? Property taxes are quite low here, and so is property insurance, compared to Dallas. Both are no income tax states. But Texas has high property taxes. Nevada’s property taxes are quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,613 posts, read 22,785,847 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Also, what utilities are landlord responsibility and what is tenant responsibility? I have heard landlord can pay all utilities, but then charge the tenant. How does that work? How will tenant and landlord decide this amount?
I had 2 rentals, tenants paid all utilities incl water sewer etc. there is no standard landlord must pay any utility. Be prepared for large electric bills. 400-500 for electric in summer is not uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 PM
 
10 posts, read 3,636 times
Reputation: 31
I pay all of the utilies besides trash pickup and HOA fees in my rent.
Responsible for water, gas, and electricity.
Gas and water are about $30 a month and electricity was about $300 in the summer months but now itís gone down to about $75. Like I told you in my previous thread, 3 bedroom/2.5 bath is $1350. We looked at locating a couple years ago and it was lower- a similar house was more like 1150-1250. So itís definitely increasing but I am sure it would take a while to increase to CA/NY prices if ever. It was also not easy finding a house as there were multiple applications on every house we looked at and they were only on the market for a few days at our price point which was under $1400. We just happened to appeal to our landlord because she wanted a family in the house and not someone who she thought would gamble and not be able to pay rent. I live in a neighborhood that is nice and quiet but also seems to be a buffer between really nice and really ghetto depending on which way you drive. So that has a lot to do with it too but even if you increased my rent by $500 to live in a fancier part of town- still lower than CA/NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 PM
 
5,529 posts, read 5,738,193 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I had 2 rentals, tenants paid all utilities incl water sewer etc. there is no standard landlord must pay any utility. Be prepared for large electric bills. 400-500 for electric in summer is not uncommon.
So landlords pay electric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 PM
 
5,529 posts, read 5,738,193 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikahchloe View Post
I pay all of the utilies besides trash pickup and HOA fees in my rent.
Responsible for water, gas, and electricity.
Gas and water are about $30 a month and electricity was about $300 in the summer months but now itís gone down to about $75. Like I told you in my previous thread, 3 bedroom/2.5 bath is $1350. We looked at locating a couple years ago and it was lower- a similar house was more like 1150-1250. So itís definitely increasing but I am sure it would take a while to increase to CA/NY prices if ever. It was also not easy finding a house as there were multiple applications on every house we looked at and they were only on the market for a few days at our price point which was under $1400. We just happened to appeal to our landlord because she wanted a family in the house and not someone who she thought would gamble and not be able to pay rent. I live in a neighborhood that is nice and quiet but also seems to be a buffer between really nice and really ghetto depending on which way you drive. So that has a lot to do with it too but even if you increased my rent by $500 to live in a fancier part of town- still lower than CA/NYC.
So as a renter you pay your own water? Is the landlord charging you water, or do you pay the water company directly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 PM
 
5,529 posts, read 5,738,193 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I can only compare rents between LV Valley and DFW area because thatís my limited knowledge and both have relatively low housing costs for major metro areas. Rents are cheaper in the LV Valley, and housing is generally more expensive than in the Dallas area where I own investment properties. The reason? Property taxes are quite low here, and so is property insurance, compared to Dallas. Both are no income tax states. But Texas has high property taxes. Nevadaís property taxes are quite low.
What do you mean by rents being cheaper, but housing being more expensive than? Do you mean buying a home in LV is more expensive than Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,127 posts, read 3,836,405 times
Reputation: 10166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What do you mean by rents being cheaper, but housing being more expensive than? Do you mean buying a home in LV is more expensive than Dallas?
Similar houses cost more to buy in LV than Dallas, but get less rent in LV than in Dallas. As an investor, I assumed DFW was a better investment market for this reason. However, when I compared my expenses for taxes and insurance in Dallas vs. having a rental in LV, perhaps LV is not significantly less profitable.

I was responding to your remark about rents being low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM
 
799 posts, read 472,006 times
Reputation: 885
It's all about the overall tax burden. Here's a link to 2018 rates/ranks. You'll see Nevada and Texas are almost tied:


https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 12:11 PM
 
11,129 posts, read 3,893,380 times
Reputation: 4802
With very rare exceptions SFR renters pay electric, gas and water. HOA fees are virtually always paid by the Landlord. Trash is sometimes done directly by the tenant, sometimes billed back by the LL and sometimes just included in the rent. The rational is that the trash company can lien the property. Sewers are mostly included in the rent though you can have the renter pay it. Basically $55 a quarter with a discount for paying it off in July.

Condos and apartment are often different with the water, trash and sewers included in the rent or HOA fee. You always ask as there is no accepted standard. Tenants normally pay electric and gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top