U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 392 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are potentially moving to Las Vegas as I have just received a job offer there. We've been living in condos/apartments and are sick of hearing what everyone else is doing all the time, and so are looking at renting a house.

Only looking to rent because the job is on a contract that only lasts for a couple years.

The problem is that, after searching through Zillow/Trulia/etc. My wife basically hates all of the houses there. It seems like everything has carpet and an open floor plan. Either of those things and she pretty much won't consider it. I agree with her, I really hate the "open concept" which to me means, "hey let's live in a giant studio apartment" but it seems to have taken over. She's ok with carpet in the bedrooms, just not in the main living areas.

I think my wife would be able to deal with one or the other (open floor plan or carpet), but not both at the same time. Also, we're not completely insane, we're not going to let our housing preferences keep us from moving there for a good job. But figured I'd ask here before going to a realtor.

I've checked in the forums and done searches and haven't really found anything. Where should I look? Any specific areas of the city? Or should I just talk to a realtor? I think we're sort of looking for the opposite of what the vast majority of people are.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Last edited by napoli61; 11-17-2018 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Clarification of title of thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM

11,608 posts, read 22,774,737 times
Open floor plan is what the majority wants. If you don’t looks carpet, tear it out. Not that expensive.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:08 PM

1,163 posts, read 729,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Open floor plan is what the majority wants. If you donít looks carpet, tear it out. Not that expensive.
They would have to replace it with something. That is expensive for a 2 year rental.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM

2,139 posts, read 2,211,211 times
You're basically wanting an older built house that's been remodeled. Any property built after 1990 and you start getting vaulted ceilings and kitchen/living room open floors.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:43 PM

11,088 posts, read 3,878,561 times
There are lots of them. As ddr says you simply need the ones built before 1995 or so. And even some models later than that will be OK. Get an RE agent and have them send you rentals in the SW, NW and old Henderson. You will find dozens of them. You will have to look at the pictures as it is difficult to sort on tile floors or classic floor plans.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 392 times
Good advice, sounds encouraging, thanks guys!

Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 PM

11,608 posts, read 22,774,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
They would have to replace it with something. That is expensive for a 2 year rental.
My bad, I didnít see rental

Renters canít be picky in the better areas of town. OP needs to find an older house

Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Status: "Invisible cats keep you up at night" (set 21 days ago)

9,772 posts, read 21,676,347 times
I hate open floor plans too. But I've been stuck in one since the beginning of 2004. I really do not think the majority really likes open floor plans, but they have been brainwashed into thinking they want them. The builders can put up houses even faster when they do not have to add more walls.

If you want a not so open floor plan in an apt while trying to find a house to rent that you like, Summerhill Pointe apts, built around 1988, on W. Sahara in The Lakes neighborhood, have a nice separation with their floor plans. And spacious. We used to rent there long ago.

So like other said, look for older homes, or if you want better area's, try to find a home with no carpeting. Most of the newer homes are all that sucky open floor plan concept. Some are done well, with the kitchen squared off. Mine, the kitchen island is at an angle on each side, and I consider that the kitchen is the living room.

Your best bet if you could afford it, is to build your custom dream home on a nice plot of land somewhere.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:45 AM

4,463 posts, read 5,342,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I hate open floor plans too. But I've been stuck in one since the beginning of 2004. I really do not think the majority really likes open floor plans, but they have been brainwashed into thinking they want them. The builders can put up houses even faster when they do not have to add more walls.

If you want a not so open floor plan in an apt while trying to find a house to rent that you like, Summerhill Pointe apts, built around 1988, on W. Sahara in The Lakes neighborhood, have a nice separation with their floor plans. And spacious. We used to rent there long ago.

So like other said, look for older homes, or if you want better area's, try to find a home with no carpeting. Most of the newer homes are all that sucky open floor plan concept. Some are done well, with the kitchen squared off. Mine, the kitchen island is at an angle on each side, and I consider that the kitchen is the living room.

Your best bet if you could afford it, is to build your custom dream home on a nice plot of land somewhere.
Iíd love to build custom one day for sure. I think it depends on what is meant by open concept. I like a hybrid personally because I canít have the house so open that thereís nowhere to game / watch movies if someone else is sleeping which seems to be an issue with any house under 4,000 square feet. But I like open concept in the living / kitchen / dining area. I donít know who or why anyone would want a closed off kitchen and a closed off dining room and a closed off living room. That looks horrible and old. But I also donít know why Iíd want the entire house being so open that noise travels everywhere, which isnít practical even for two people let alone a family. Simply doesnít work for me.

I do agree with OP about one thing, which is that as much as I love Vegas the housing selection is godawful. 99% of the houses suck and the 1% are brand new. Nothing on the resale market is almost ever appealing, hardly anything that doesnít look dated and poor floor plans with cheesy styling and just yuck. Part of the issue is despite little space they insist on 2 story houses instead of 3, which makes noise a major problem.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM

2,139 posts, read 2,211,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I donít know who or why anyone would want a closed off kitchen and a closed off dining room and a closed off living room. That looks horrible and old. But I also donít know why Iíd want the entire house being so open that noise travels everywhere, which isnít practical even for two people let alone a family. Simply doesnít work for me.

I do agree with OP about one thing, which is that as much as I love Vegas the housing selection is godawful. 99% of the houses suck and the 1% are brand new. Nothing on the resale market is almost ever appealing, hardly anything that doesnít look dated and poor floor plans with cheesy styling and just yuck. Part of the issue is despite little space they insist on 2 story houses instead of 3, which makes noise a major problem.
One reason some people may want a closed off kitchen is the ability to regulate temperature in the house. Kitchen hot? Open a window.

Here's an article I read a few months back talking about the benefits.

https://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-d...-comeback.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or