U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 PM

11,161 posts, read 3,898,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
I always thought it would be fun to electrify the property in a case like this.
You could do a live stock fence. Anything more potent though will get you 15 in the slammer. Was one about 10 years ago who killed a burglar.

And if you miss you get a Molotov cocktail against your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,300,493 times
Not that uncommon.

It happened on that flip or flop show. $3,000 worth of new pool stuff.

It's a long shot, but I would check Craigslist and see if the brazen thieves are trying to sell it there

Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 PM

11,161 posts, read 3,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Not that uncommon.

It happened on that flip or flop show. $3,000 worth of new pool stuff.

It's a long shot, but I would check Craigslist and see if the brazen thieves are trying to sell it there
I have seen it only in unoccupied places. Was very common during the dark time though it was mostly the ex owner who did it.

But stealing a big pool heater takes balls. Anyone sees you it is curtains.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM

3,678 posts, read 8,029,529 times
Stolen pool heaters get sold to homeowners at a discount. My neighbor's pool guy "conveniently" had a used pool heater available when theirs went out.

Mine is on the side of the house where there is no gate, just a stucco'd brick wall. So they have to walk all the way around the house to get to the equipment pad. Someone could steal my pool heater, but they'd be on three different cameras on their way to the heater, including one that looks straight down the side of the house where the pool equipment pad and A/C condensers are located.

I remember a few years back when police were chasing a couple guys who were caught stealing A/C condensers from unoccupied homes in Peccole Ranch. So trashy.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:02 PM

761 posts, read 1,049,260 times
Another suggestion would be to get an alarm system that sends trips to your cell phone. I have a honeywell system where you have a outdoor gate sensor (Honeywell 5816OD) which can be set up to your alarm system to send you a text/email anytime it is opened or shut. It can be programmed to sound an alarm or if you have landscapers or pool guys it can be set outside the alarm system and just text/email you both when it opens and when it is shut.

Video that senses movement is fine but you will be constantly looking at trips. Be sure to have the sensor trips sent to both text and email as you might be in an area where only one or the other won’t work. My system honeywell requires monthly monitoring but I feel it’s worth it.

Look for your old equipment on Craigslist. Be sure to write down the models and serial numbers of all equipment.

Additionally you can set your alarm system to have a three beep chime in your home anytime day or night the gate is opened. Works great to alert you when pool guy or landscaper is in the back yard.

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-19-2018 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 AM

8,694 posts, read 8,934,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Yes, but a dog would stay most properly with us in the house.
If they come in the night and the dog is inside, it would most properly not help...isn`t it?
If nothing else, a dog would likely alert you someone was outside and that would hopefully scare the thief off.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 AM

230 posts, read 117,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Another suggestion would be to get an alarm system that sends trips to your cell phone. I have a honeywell system where you have a outdoor gate sensor (Honeywell 5816OD) which can be set up to your alarm system to send you a text/email anytime it is opened or shut. It can be programmed to sound an alarm or if you have landscapers or pool guys it can be set outside the alarm system and just text/email you both when it opens and when it is shut.

Video that senses movement is fine but you will be constantly looking at trips. Be sure to have the sensor trips sent to both text and email as you might be in an area where only one or the other wonít work. My system honeywell requires monthly monitoring but I feel itís worth it.

Look for your old equipment on Craigslist. Be sure to write down the models and serial numbers of all equipment.

Additionally you can set your alarm system to have a three beep chime in your home anytime day or night the gate is opened. Works great to alert you when pool guy or landscaper is in the back yard.
I just checked and the 5816OD can be used with my actual alarm monitoring system and I have the option that this sensor would just send me a push notice or text but not a full blown alarm when triggered. So, this is a very nice information. Thanks. Means thieves will need in future to lift the heavy equipment over the fence, which is not an easy task...

Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 AM

13,476 posts, read 24,353,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Yes, but a dog would stay most properly with us in the house.
If they come in the night and the dog is inside, it would most properly not help...isn`t it?
I have a Doberman and a Weimaraner. They hear it when anyone comes on the property. Even cats! No way you could cut the lock on the gate and haul out pool equipment without alerting them!

Old 11-21-2018, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 4,263 times
A motion detection system that makes a gate come down somehow to trap the burglar inside would be ideal. Because then you can just not let them out so that they starve to death. Just make sure you duct tape their mouth so they can't scream.
Then a good 10 feet under buried at night in the desert will get rid of any evidence.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:36 AM

230 posts, read 117,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have a Doberman and a Weimaraner. They hear it when anyone comes on the property. Even cats! No way you could cut the lock on the gate and haul out pool equipment without alerting them!
Great. I was thinking of getting a Doberman too. Any good place to get nice puppies in Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or