U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 AM

230 posts, read 117,329 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we discovered yesterday that some thieves have cut off the lock from our backyard gate, entered, and took the most expensive parts of our pool system including a heavy duty gas heater (worth 3k).

I wonder if there is any insider trick to secure such equipment in future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 AM

9,736 posts, read 5,730,287 times
Large dog.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:37 AM

11,161 posts, read 3,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Hi,

we discovered yesterday that some thieves have cut off the lock from our backyard gate, entered, and took the most expensive parts of our pool system including a heavy duty gas heater (worth 3k).

I wonder if there is any insider trick to secure such equipment in future?
Wow that is ballsy! Never heard of that happening though AC units are sometimes targeted.

Were you guys at home or out of town?

We got burgled 20 years ago but we have always suspected it was an inside job as we were out of the country for a couple of weeks and they apparently took their time.

That equipment is hard to secure against thieves who cut locks and could disassemble the pool system.

If the equipment is in an enclosure you could alarm the gate. You could also alarm the equipment. A loud alarm placed somewhere hard to get to.

You could cage the system as some do A/C condensers. Thieves however who are capable of this theft would likely have little trouble busting the cage.

Suitably placed cameras might also discourage them.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM

We have been home. It must have happened early in the morning. We suspect a former pool guy who was fired, but you can't proof anything. Just want to make sure they don't come for the replacement again

I was thinking of bolting the equipment down with anchors into concrete slabs, and welding the nuts to the threat.
This means I would need to cut them off if I need to move them one day, but thieves would have some extra work to get the equipment...

Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM

135 posts, read 164,953 times
I would put some sort of cage around the equipment, alarm that.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 PM

11,161 posts, read 3,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
We have been home. It must have happened early in the morning. We suspect a former pool guy who was fired, but you can't proof anything. Just want to make sure they don't come for the replacement again

I was thinking of bolting the equipment down with anchors into concrete slabs, and welding the nuts to the threat.
This means I would need to cut them off if I need to move them one day, but thieves would have some extra work to get the equipment...
You could. But you are dealing with someone who can cut locks. I would also note that a bar can often be used to pop out anchors.

I would also note it is a very unusual crime and I would agree likely an inside job. Someone did not randomly pick you.

A security camera with a view of the back gate and motion detection might be the best thing.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks, will add more security cameras with motion detection at first step. That is an easy task.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 PM

371 posts, read 195,318 times
I was a pool tech in Vegas in the late 90's through the first half of the 2000's. You'd be surprised how often thieves steal pool equipment. It's obviously worth a lot, and easy to resell to another customer if they think they're getting a deal because it is "used".

I would think bolting it down would be a good deterrent simply because it creates more work, which equals more time to get caught. Cameras would be on the top of my priority list as well as a more secure locking system on the gate. Maybe even alarm the gate itself.

I would be willing to bet it was stolen by someone who knew exactly what equipment you had. I think your suspicions regarding the last pool guy are likely spot on.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Large dog.
Yes, but a dog would stay most properly with us in the house.
If they come in the night and the dog is inside, it would most properly not help...isn`t it?

Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM

133 posts, read 34,362 times
I always thought it would be fun to electrify the property in a case like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or