U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,097,906 times

Advertisements

-The weather. Yes I went through a summer here, the dry heat is not that bad and the winter so far is great.

-The food scene is pretty good.

-The proximity to other travel destinations. You can easily take a day trip, or small weekend getaway to many great destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM

16,777 posts, read 20,501,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
So what?! Light rail sucks and is a complete waste of money. Portland has wasted countless billions on something nobody ever uses. In fact Iíve lived there most of my life and donít even know a single person who regularly or frequently uses it. I doubt anyone I know uses it ever, at all. The stats show itís even less popular than it was in the past despite a growing population.

And art museums are unbelievably boring. You can see far better art on the Strip from Kush galleries and one of the other many incredible art galleries around without needing to see some garbage modern art that only idiots would buy. A few line squiggles and some paint splatter for $1 million lol. People talk about art museums as some important part of the community but Iíve known the wealthiest and most successful people in a city and they still donít care about art museums even though some of them are collectors themselves. Itís another laughable thing that doesnít define a city whatsoever because nobody cares.
When I was at the Getty Museum in L.A. last year, I saw a number of school buses in the parking lot, and numerous children/teens riding the train up to the hilltop museum. In Las Vegas, these children/teens are deprived of a cultural institution like that and what a crying shame!

Picasso was asked back in the 30's why he painted these ugly, insane characters, and his response: The world is getting uglier and more insane by the day, why paint something beautiful!

And if he could only see a city like Las Vegas today!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:35 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,600,485 times
The Springs Preserve/Nevada State Museum is beautiful and a great cultural excursion for school kids. Granted it is still not on the same level as the Getty Museum in LA but the Springs Preserve area still has lots of land that it can develop. It would be nice to have a beautiful defining world class sculpture in the area, I'm not talking about the ones you see in Fremont East District in Downtown Vegas which to me is garbage.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:39 AM

13,612 posts, read 9,925,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
The Springs Preserve/Nevada State Museum is beautiful and a great cultural excursion for school kids. Granted it is still not on the same level as the Getty Museum in LA but the Springs Preserve area still has lots of land that it can develop. It would be nice to have a beautiful defining world class sculpture in the area, I'm not talking about the ones you see in Fremont East District in Downtown Vegas which to me is garbage.
You mean those silly paint brushes that actually resemble penis more than paintbrush? Iím not a fan either.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:20 PM

910 posts, read 1,158,670 times
This has been a great winter, so far. Speaking of proximity to other destinations, I am thinking about Bryce and Zion this year. Never have been.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,600,485 times
@NLV - Those "paintbrushes" that look like "flashlights" were costly and supposed to be the gateway to the Arts District, yes they are ugly. There are far worse on Fremont East District like those "aliens" on the side of the green bus, not sure if it is still around, and the big rig.

@local - Love both Zion and Bryce but I prefer Zion which is also closer to Las Vegas.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM

794 posts, read 543,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
This has been a great winter, so far. Speaking of proximity to other destinations, I am thinking about Bryce and Zion this year. Never have been.
You will love them. Just be aware that parking can be a complete nightmare in Zion. Especially on the weekends! You may have to park quite a distance from where the buses pick up visitors. The park itself and trails are absolutely stunning, though.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM

542 posts, read 200,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I loathe public transportation so much.
Especially buses.
I just watched Speed tonight with the kids and man it would be so nice to just blow up all the buses. Those stupid things cause so much traffic it's not even funny.
I feel like it's pretty easy going here with the busses. Nearly all the stops at major intersections have pulloffs and bus lanes. Compare to east coast cities where bus transportation was added as an afterthought. Busses stopping in the middle of traffic lanes, typically after the light, too, so you can get stuck behind the bus then have to wait 8 minutes for the light to change(despite what you hear about long lights here, the light timings in East coast cities are substantially longer in my experience).

Old Today, 11:27 AM

447 posts, read 343,597 times
Light rail update from Phoenix for 2018

Valley Metro light rail ridership dropped by 4.4 percent in 2018

Old Today, 02:59 PM

542 posts, read 200,220 times
I got an email yesterday from RTC... The Maryland line is open for public comment. There will be a couple of public sessions with info as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or