U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,397 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Reputation: 24216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I know someone who used to work at Monorail, and I know one of the problems is that the Monorail trains are breaking down all the time - like a couple times a week. Its possible the commission is aware of this and that is why they are hesitant to invest in an extension.

Personally, I think that if Monorail can fix the issues, then it ought to be a prime candidate to fill these needs. I'm not sure why we need a whole separate light rail system, and putting it on Maryland Pkwy sounds like an absolutely awful idea. The only thing on Maryland Pkwy I can see anyone needing to get to is UNLV. Maryland Pkwy is several streets east of the strip where more public transportation is needed.
Are you sure the breakdowns aren't sabotage instead, by taxi unions, Uber and Lyft?

I once did massage, and one of my clients was a retired taxi driver in Las Vegas, and when the Monorail first started up there were these mysterious events happening, like a wheel falling off en route. My retired taxi driver client told me: There's no mystery to that, the taxi drivers are sabotaging the line!

So, the biggest If in the World, if they were to build a light rail or subway line from the Airport to DT via the Strip, would it even be safe to ride, the first day of operation, when it might mean 3-4000 taxi drivers losing their jobs.

The nice thing about light rail, as opposed to autonomous vehicles, is it will create density pockets at the rail stops, so you really don't need existing density pockets, as the density pockets will follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2018, 05:04 AM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,708,059 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I think that's a great idea. I would definitely ride it from the Flamingo location. The problem is selling the idea to the people in charge. I don't think they'd go for it sadly.
It's definitely a dream to have a light rail here in town. Uber/Lyft has changed the way people travel and taxis are now hurting for business. This town will protect the Frias family even more now, so forget light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,397 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Reputation: 24216
[quote=Clarkcty;53823222]It's definitely a dream to have a light rail here in town. Uber/Lyft has changed the way people travel and taxis are now hurting for business. This town will protect the Frias family even more now, so forget light rail.[/QUOTE

If you go through Archives on CD.com, for any city contemplating a light rail line, the arguments will all be pretty much the same, not enough density to support it, who will use it, and the rich areas don't want surface lines running through their community.

In Dallas, the ritzy McKinney district agreed to light rail, providing it went underground in their community, and through greater expense, you go underground going through that district.

Beverly Hills said no to surface lines, so underground on Wilshire it goes, at a cost of $16 billion to run the line down Wilshire to UCLA.

Some cities are terrified of the idea of it coming into their city, like Redondo Beach, where it dead ends 2 miles from the ocean. Santa Monica said no to light rail, then changed their minds, and now it goes into downtown Santa Monica.


I've ridden most of the light rail systems in the Western States, and I see it very clearly, the density pockets that grow out of the light rail stops. Most people can't envisage what Maryland Avenue to downtown would look like with pocket densities, like a big midrise apartment building at Desert Inn and Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2018, 05:13 AM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,997,976 times
Reputation: 677
To me, the best part of living in LV is the lack of traffic congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,708,059 times
Reputation: 1492
[quote=tijlover;53827383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
It's definitely a dream to have a light rail here in town. Uber/Lyft has changed the way people travel and taxis are now hurting for business. This town will protect the Frias family even more now, so forget light rail.[/QUOTE

If you go through Archives on CD.com, for any city contemplating a light rail line, the arguments will all be pretty much the same, not enough density to support it, who will use it, and the rich areas don't want surface lines running through their community.

In Dallas, the ritzy McKinney district agreed to light rail, providing it went underground in their community, and through greater expense, you go underground going through that district.

Beverly Hills said no to surface lines, so underground on Wilshire it goes, at a cost of $16 billion to run the line down Wilshire to UCLA.

Some cities are terrified of the idea of it coming into their city, like Redondo Beach, where it dead ends 2 miles from the ocean. Santa Monica said no to light rail, then changed their minds, and now it goes into downtown Santa Monica.


I've ridden most of the light rail systems in the Western States, and I see it very clearly, the density pockets that grow out of the light rail stops. Most people can't envisage what Maryland Avenue to downtown would look like with pocket densities, like a big midrise apartment building at Desert Inn and Maryland.

Forget Maryland Parkway you have pretty much UNLV, Sunrise Hospital, Boulevard Mall taking up valuable real estate. Now if you demolish all three and start building condo towers perhaps a light rail will be sustainable in that area.

Where are the supposedly rich areas you are talking about. Summerlin is pretty much middle class/upper middle class and not Beverly Hills. With the opening of the baseball stadium, existing hockey arena (which brings in people), shopping, Red Rock Resort and Red Rock Canyon you have a great reason to have a line on either Flamingo or Sahara! Not only locals but visitors can use the light rail.

The reason(s) the monorail failed because there was not anything halfway interesting (Downtown LV) or even necessary stop (airport) for locals and even visitors, to ride it. One other thing with the monorail, the developer ignored the residents in the area by not having any convenient station near the residential areas except for the one on Sahara.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara can support a rail line that is if the county wants it. High density of residential and commercial on both North and South sides of Flamingo, same with Sahara both sides have enough people to support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 05:28 AM
 
50 posts, read 17,908 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
Hope you’re being facetious about the Go Fund Me site to cover your entertainment expenses. Especially if you can afford to live in a guarded community.
Of course, I was joking. I guess in today's society that might be something someone might do. I was trying to make a point that there are endless things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM
 
764 posts, read 301,103 times
Reputation: 443
[quote=Clarkcty;53834655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post


Forget Maryland Parkway you have pretty much UNLV, Sunrise Hospital, Boulevard Mall taking up valuable real estate. Now if you demolish all three and start building condo towers perhaps a light rail will be sustainable in that area.

Where are the supposedly rich areas you are talking about. Summerlin is pretty much middle class/upper middle class and not Beverly Hills. With the opening of the baseball stadium, existing hockey arena (which brings in people), shopping, Red Rock Resort and Red Rock Canyon you have a great reason to have a line on either Flamingo or Sahara! Not only locals but visitors can use the light rail.

The reason(s) the monorail failed because there was not anything halfway interesting (Downtown LV) or even necessary stop (airport) for locals and even visitors, to ride it. One other thing with the monorail, the developer ignored the residents in the area by not having any convenient station near the residential areas except for the one on Sahara.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara can support a rail line that is if the county wants it. High density of residential and commercial on both North and South sides of Flamingo, same with Sahara both sides have enough people to support it.
Sahara has too much vehicle traffic. Flamingo seems like a better option. Maryland Parkway needs some significant economic redevelopment to make a light rail there viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 AM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,301,032 times
Reputation: 17659
[quote=Clarkcty;53834655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post


Forget Maryland Parkway you have pretty much UNLV, Sunrise Hospital, Boulevard Mall taking up valuable real estate. Now if you demolish all three and start building condo towers perhaps a light rail will be sustainable in that area.

Where are the supposedly rich areas you are talking about. Summerlin is pretty much middle class/upper middle class and not Beverly Hills. With the opening of the baseball stadium, existing hockey arena (which brings in people), shopping, Red Rock Resort and Red Rock Canyon you have a great reason to have a line on either Flamingo or Sahara! Not only locals but visitors can use the light rail.

The reason(s) the monorail failed because there was not anything halfway interesting (Downtown LV) or even necessary stop (airport) for locals and even visitors, to ride it. One other thing with the monorail, the developer ignored the residents in the area by not having any convenient station near the residential areas except for the one on Sahara.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara can support a rail line that is if the county wants it. High density of residential and commercial on both North and South sides of Flamingo, same with Sahara both sides have enough people to support it.
Thatís not exactly the way it went down. There was a great deal of NIMBYism when light rail was proposed by good old Bob, for the route that we now call the 215. If I had the money, Iíd invest on one of those old apartment complexes near Maryland. Back in the day, that was the tony part of town. If they run light rail, it will be again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,708,059 times
Reputation: 1492
Someone changed and edited my posts. Moderator take note

This post is from Tijlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover
If you go through Archives on CD.com, for any city contemplating a light rail line, the arguments will all be pretty much the same, not enough density to support it, who will use it, and the rich areas don't want surface lines running through their community.

In Dallas, the ritzy McKinney district agreed to light rail, providing it went underground in their community, and through greater expense, you go underground going through that district.

Beverly Hills said no to surface lines, so underground on Wilshire it goes, at a cost of $16 billion to run the line down Wilshire to UCLA.
Some cities are terrified of the idea of it coming into their city, like Redondo Beach, where it dead ends 2 miles from the ocean. Santa Monica said no to light rail, then changed their minds, and now it goes into downtown Santa Monica.

I've ridden most of the light rail systems in the Western States, and I see it very clearly, the density pockets that grow out of the light rail stops. Most people can't envisage what Maryland Avenue to downtown would look like with pocket densities, like a big midrise apartment building at Desert Inn and Maryland.
These are my posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty
Forget Maryland Parkway you have pretty much UNLV, Sunrise Hospital, Boulevard Mall taking up valuable real estate. Now if you demolish all three and start building condo towers perhaps a light rail will be sustainable in that area.

Where are the supposedly rich areas you are talking about. Summerlin is pretty much middle class/upper middle class and not Beverly Hills. With the opening of the baseball stadium, existing hockey arena (which brings in people), shopping, Red Rock Resort and Red Rock Canyon you have a great reason to have a line on either Flamingo or Sahara! Not only locals but visitors can use the light rail.

The reason(s) the monorail failed because there was not anything halfway interesting (Downtown LV) or even necessary stop (airport) for locals and even visitors, to ride it. One other thing with the monorail, the developer ignored the residents in the area by not having any convenient station near the residential areas except for the one on Sahara.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara can support a rail line that is if the county wants it. High density of residential and commercial on both North and South sides of Flamingo, same with Sahara both sides have enough people to support it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty
It's definitely a dream to have a light rail here in town. Uber/Lyft has changed the way people travel and taxis are now hurting for business. This town will protect the Frias family even more now, so forget light rail.

Last edited by Clarkcty; 12-15-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,708,059 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Thatís not exactly the way it went down. There was a great deal of NIMBYism when light rail was proposed by good old Bob, for the route that we now call the 215. If I had the money, Iíd invest on one of those old apartment complexes near Maryland. Back in the day, that was the tony part of town. If they run light rail, it will be again.
Your argument is "What if", now Sahara Ave and Flamingo Rd are both roadways that are already buzzing with activity, high density areas both commercial and residential.

You want to put light rail on Marland Parkway HOPING it will create more buzz and interest in the area. So you're banking on something not even there yet to sustain the lightrail. Oh goodluck to that!

Sahara Ave and Flamingo road ALREADY have the density you are wishing for on Maryland Parkway. Sahara and Flamingo roads have the people and business to support and sustain the lightrail and it will get even more busier once you have light rail on either of those roadways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top