Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post

Sahara has too much vehicle traffic. Flamingo seems like a better option. Maryland Parkway needs some significant economic redevelopment to make a light rail there viable.
Flamingo Rd to me would be a better option because it's centrally located, Sahara coming in second. Like I've mentioned, Maryland will not be able to support and sustain lightrail, not enough commercial/residential in the area.

Flamingo road with stops in the center of Strip would be the most ideal, you will have locals and visitors sustaining the lightrail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM

66 posts, read 108,938 times
I have lived here for 5 years and love it! Summers are hot but once that is over the weather is wonderful most days. Vegas is less expensive to live than many other places. Seems to be plenty of work here too. So many places to eat and shop and close to where I live.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,271 times
Hi Brittle_star,
I lived in San Bernardino, CA for about 30 years. With the smog and heat (dry) there, I felt that I could transition to this heat without too much trouble. This was not the case.
The A/C does have to run 24/7, for months. I liken it to winter in MN, in terms of dreading going outside. But, with a lower cost of living than San Bernardino and Riverside (Inland Empire CA), it's a trade off and I needed one.
When people say traffic is bad here, I think they are referring to crazy drivers, we do not have grid lock like any large city.
California, for me, became so crazy politically, that I thought NV would be less frustrating. That's only partly true as NV is becoming more blue than purple. Depends on your own politics.
Red Rock and the Valley of Fire are beautiful places to in cooler months. Nothing like the desert when it's under 90 degrees, in my opinion. I just drive around but hikers love it.

Anyway, you did mention the constant A/C use, yes it is difficult. Easier than tornadoes in MN or MA Nor'easters (Major snow storm).
Best of luck
in your info gathering.
Go ahead and insult San Bernardino. Someone did this but I only saw it when the thread was closed.
In the words of Tom Leher, "Be it ever so decadent, there's no place like home." I moved out there to take a job in aerospace after college and never regretted it.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:07 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Your argument is "What if", now Sahara Ave and Flamingo Rd are both roadways that are already buzzing with activity, high density areas both commercial and residential.

You want to put light rail on Marland Parkway HOPING it will create more buzz and interest in the area. So you're banking on something not even there yet to sustain the lightrail. Oh goodluck to that!

Sahara Ave and Flamingo road ALREADY have the density you are wishing for on Maryland Parkway. Sahara and Flamingo roads have the people and business to support and sustain the lightrail and it will get even more busier once you have light rail on either of those roadways.
Flamingo AND Maryland. One goes north to south and the other goes east to west. Next stop, McCarran and an extension to downtown. See what I mean? A quick hop to UNLV, Spring Valley, Fremont?

And I’m not wishing for anything. I don’t care what they do with this place. But there is opportunity there for those that can grab it. I also don’t understand why you have to always be so snarky. I’ve never even met you.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Flamingo AND Maryland. One goes north to south and the other goes east to west. Next stop, McCarran and an extension to downtown. See what I mean? A quick hop to UNLV, Spring Valley, Fremont?

And I’m not wishing for anything. I don’t care what they do with this place. But there is opportunity there for those that can grab it. I also don’t understand why you have to always be so snarky. I’ve never even met you.

For a starter line, Flamingo is better. Flamingo Rd is lined with homes, apts, condo, townhomes and businesses from one end all the way to the other end on Boulder Hwy. Flamingo Rd line can branch out to UNLV and even the airport if planned properly.

Maryland Parkway lightrail is only not sustainable, it will also be pointless since you already have the monorail going North/South route. The monorail can be extended to Downtown Las Vegas (North) and Airport (South) but our politicians are in the pockets of some very influential family in town.

Uber and Lyft has made a serious dent on the taxis business in town, they are hurting really bad and taxi drivers are fighting for business. I see it everyday at work in the hotel I work in. Uber and Lyft APP pretty much are on people's cell, locals and visitors.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM

265 posts, read 204,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
For a starter line, Flamingo is better. Flamingo Rd is lined with homes, apts, condo, townhomes and businesses from one end all the way to the other end on Boulder Hwy. Flamingo Rd line can branch out to UNLV and even the airport if planned properly.

Maryland Parkway lightrail is only not sustainable, it will also be pointless since you already have the monorail going North/South route. The monorail can be extended to Downtown Las Vegas (North) and Airport (South) but our politicians are in the pockets of some very influential family in town.

Uber and Lyft has made a serious dent on the taxis business in town, they are hurting really bad and taxi drivers are fighting for business. I see it everyday at work in the hotel I work in. Uber and Lyft APP pretty much are on people's cell, locals and visitors.
When you want to charge someone 3 or 4 times the price, why would anyone take a taxi over Uber or Lyft?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
I like that the weather in our city is so mild in the winter. It was 62 degrees today and sunny, in the middle of winter. Very pleasant to be outside.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tick Segerblom scolded the legislature in the last session saying Las Vegas is the last big city in the country to get an Art Museum. The legislature voted for seed money of $10 million to get the ball rolling, and our RINO Governor slashed that amount to $1 million. That all tells a story about Las Vegas and Nevada. So if you're hungering for some Art, you'll have to do what I did, fly down to L.A. for a couple days and soak it up down there. You can spend a whole day just at LACMA on Wilshire Boulevard.

And it also looks like Las Vegas will be the last big city to have a light rail system. Yes, Las Vegas is still stuck in the 1960's, to a large degree, which is why so many people move there. Nostalgia!
So what?! Light rail sucks and is a complete waste of money. Portland has wasted countless billions on something nobody ever uses. In fact I’ve lived there most of my life and don’t even know a single person who regularly or frequently uses it. I doubt anyone I know uses it ever, at all. The stats show it’s even less popular than it was in the past despite a growing population.

And art museums are unbelievably boring. You can see far better art on the Strip from Kush galleries and one of the other many incredible art galleries around without needing to see some garbage modern art that only idiots would buy. A few line squiggles and some paint splatter for $1 million lol. People talk about art museums as some important part of the community but I’ve known the wealthiest and most successful people in a city and they still don’t care about art museums even though some of them are collectors themselves. It’s another laughable thing that doesn’t define a city whatsoever because nobody cares.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I loathe public transportation so much.
Especially buses.
I just watched Speed tonight with the kids and man it would be so nice to just blow up all the buses. Those stupid things cause so much traffic it's not even funny.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
So what?! Light rail sucks and is a complete waste of money. Portland has wasted countless billions on something nobody ever uses. In fact I’ve lived there most of my life and don’t even know a single person who regularly or frequently uses it. I doubt anyone I know uses it ever, at all. The stats show it’s even less popular than it was in the past despite a growing population.

And art museums are unbelievably boring. You can see far better art on the Strip from Kush galleries and one of the other many incredible art galleries around without needing to see some garbage modern art that only idiots would buy. A few line squiggles and some paint splatter for $1 million lol. People talk about art museums as some important part of the community but I’ve known the wealthiest and most successful people in a city and they still don’t care about art museums even though some of them are collectors themselves. It’s another laughable thing that doesn’t define a city whatsoever because nobody cares.
Portland has the fourth busiest light rail system in the country. So if you don't know anyone who rides it probably means you have no friends...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAX_Light_Rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas