U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:42 PM

22 posts, read 6,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And I would like to apologize to the OP.

This discussion is not indicative of every day life here. All it takes is one poster who is very much uninformed and biased to send us off track.

Pay attention to what Princeton1990 says. That poster is well informed.
Thank you Tek. I always appreciate your contributions to the forum. I look forward to joining your community within the next few months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 08:52 PM

27,171 posts, read 38,417,858 times
You're welcome. I always appreciate solid information. It's good to have someone with your experience to let others know how things really work here.

Join Boomer Connection! Tons of great clubs under one umbrella.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,768,599 times
Boomer Connection is very boring. Been there and done that. Get together to go to restaurants others pick and then there goes your entertainment dollar for something you would not have chosen. Great fun. Play dominos and silly games or bring a big dish of food to the community room for monthly get together. No thank you.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM

12 posts, read 10,780 times
Thanks everyone for your information. I feel like I have a lot more information to start looking at various 55+ neighborhood. I used Zillow to look at some of the houses avilable in SCS and look like most are the 2 bdrm type. I still have an adult son with us (30+ years old) that may move with us..So I am looking at bigger home (may be 2800 sq ft or so)... Those kind of house seems to harder to come by and at a higher price than the surrounding Sumerline neighborhood (may be just a availability issue). I will look into the other 55+ neighborhood suggested earlier in the thread.

What about the health care and assistant care issue? My wife is diabatic and have high blood pressure for over 20+ years and has a minor stroke a few years back. So health care (and potentially some kind of assisting living or domestic help if another stroke hit her) is one of my primary concern.. Anyone can share their exprience? After googling LVS health care a bit, looks like finding a good primary doctor and emergency room wait time is the two biggest problems. Is the emergency room in the more affulence neighborhood like Summerline better than the rest of the city?

Anyone has used domestic help or have family member in assistant help facility? are domestic easy to hire and how much do they cost? my MIL is 95 now and she has a live in helper in SF.. She pays $2500 or so a month (for 6 days a week of live in help) but the problem is that my MIL think that she steals money from her. Yet she does not want to change the helpers because helpers are hard to come by (we have very high minimum wage and full employment. so anyone that can speak and intelligent can find a minium wage or above job... so good domestic helpers are hard to come by)... health care and assitant care are the two issues that I want to make sure we have a solution before we can move. We use Palo Alto group which belong to Sutter health. I understand that Sutter healt is in LVS as well. Anyone has good or bad experience using Sutter health in LVS?

Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 AM

There is a thread here regarding finding a good doctor. If you move I will recommend mine. Third try and he's a keeper!

(Sounds like Donald Trump when he talks which freaked us out the first time we went to see him, lol)

Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM

5,137 posts, read 3,851,567 times
We looked at all of them. All except Trilogy. We decided not to risk an unfinished community because, during the 2007-2012 bubble burst many unfinished communities languished with never built clubhouses and half-done building lots. We did not want to have our “golden years” among project rubble or unfullfilled community promises.

It boiled down to our two favorites. SC Summerlin and SC Anthem. Don’t think you can go wrong in either.

SC Anthem tends to have younger people, and the clubhouses just have a more luxurious/resort feeling as well the community has a more rugged terrain which gives many more view houses available when looking at homes for sale. We wanted a view house. SC Anthem doesn’t own its golf course so owners are not subject to assessments for golf course improvements. However, SCA doesn’t control the golf course and would have no say if it closed someday and sold land for building lots. Not likely, but who knows. The community is about 8-10 years newer than SCS. It is a traffic snarl getting to SCA on Eastern. There are a couple of backroads, but assessibility is a bit of a pain. There is also an ongoing debate over the closed restaurant in the Anthem Center of SCA. 5 restaurants have failed but still many in the community demand another HOA subsidized restaurant. Its a major controversy.

SC Summerlin is in a wonderful location so close to Red Rock. The temperatures in the summer are just a tiny bit cooler. Many of the homes have been updated. The prices are a bit lower, and many of the floorplans tend to have the old-fashioned formal living rooms and dining rooms floorplans. The community centers were fine and very active — just not as upscale as we saw in SCA. The have a “boomer club” for the younger residents, which is really cool and recognizes that there are (in every community) at least 2 generations of residents with different interests. SCS owns the golf course so there is a lot more control over it. But, I also think it implies assessments and more budget dedicated to the golf course.

We bought in SCA and love it. However, I think if we’d bought in SCS we’d also love it.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM

^^ I couldn't have written it better. Excellent post.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 954 times
Quote:
However, SCA doesn’t control the golf course and would have no say if it closed someday and sold land for building lots.
I live in Sun City Anthem on the lexington course and got a letter yesterday that the ownership in planning on closing the course. Over the years ownership has been neglecting maintenance of both courses and now this. I wish that the association owned the courses like Sun City Summerlin.

Last edited by elnina; 11-29-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas1954 View Post
I live in Sun City Anthem on the lexington course and got a letter yesterday that the ownership in planning on closing the course. Over the years ownership has been neglecting maintenance of both courses and now this. I wish that the association owned the courses like Sun City Summerlin.
And I wish Summerlin didn't. Our dues would certainly be less. Golf courses can no longer support themselves and we get stuck with the bill. The only gripe I have about SCS.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-27-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 954 times
They add a lot of beauty to Sun City Summerlin. I was visiting an old friend who lives in your community last week and both my wife and I commented on how much prettier where you live is. Driving in on Anazazi through the golf courses is spectacular. My wife and I decided to sell and move to your development. You guy have a great thing going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or