U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 682 times

Advertisements

I've been to Vegas before, liked it very much. Would like to trip by myself at the end of December again.

What I have in mind? (Days numbered)

DAY 1 Come to Vegas from SF (where I live) and spend the day there.

DAY 2 Drive from Vegas to the Death Valley for the day.

Day 3,4 Drive from Vegas to Mojave (just to see it and spend at least an hour there), then to Palm Springs stay there for days 3+4 there (visiting Joshua Tree as well).

I also would like to visit the dates farms near the area. Any suggestions?

OK. Here's a bit about myself:

I am recovering from an injury, so I won't be able to walk more than 30-40 min without pausing. I would like to see these places for a reason, this might be my last time in the area because I am moving to Europe around March 2019.

I don't want to walk a lot, I want to see the desert, move by car as possible, stop the car wherever possible to take pics and enjoy the clean desert air...

I am a morning person, because it is winter time as well (Short day/long night) I like starting my journeys on early mornings!

One final thing: do yo thing it's too much to go to the Death Valley and Mojave/ Joshua Tree? Should I skip one, maybe?

+

Will it be dangerous to drive alone to these places? I was in Vegas last year and went to the Red Rock (15 mins) from Vegas but while I was there, there was no reception. I became a bit obnoxious and worried. You know, it is the desert, I will be using my I phone GPS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:20 PM

132 posts, read 101,291 times
Hi I did the trip you are referring to in March of last year almost exactly as you described except instead of terminating at Palm Springs, I terminated at the Salton Sea and saw Slab City and some of the desert art there.

Prior to that I did a day trip into Death Valley which was good but much less dramatic than was my view of the Mojave and Joshua Tree.

The drive from Vegas through Mojave and Joshua Tree was one of the most incredibly scenic trips of my life and I've done a lot of traveling. Google maps states the drive is 5 hours. I took my time along the way and did the trip alone by car, sightseeing along the way included in about 9 hours.

I lost GPS and cell signal AT&T a few times for 20 miles or so but there's only one road to follow. You may want to first google -locate gas stations as some will be few and far between. I filled up before I left Vegas and then again in Twenty-Nine Palms.
I'd recommend making sure the vehicle is dependable and be prepared to change a flat tire, or other unforeseen issues that could strand you. There was not many cars on the roads I traveled but there were frequent enough to where if I felt I really had an issue I could probably flag someone down. It was a fantastic trip. This is map of the road I took.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+...400366!3e0!5i1

Old 11-27-2018, 08:36 PM

11,203 posts, read 3,927,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
Hi I did the trip you are referring to in March of last year almost exactly as you described except instead of terminating at Palm Springs, I terminated at the Salton Sea and saw Slab City and some of the desert art there.

Prior to that I did a day trip into Death Valley which was good but much less dramatic than was my view of the Mojave and Joshua Tree.

The drive from Vegas through Mojave and Joshua Tree was one of the most incredibly scenic trips of my life and I've done a lot of traveling. Google maps states the drive is 5 hours. I took my time along the way and did the trip alone by car, sightseeing along the way included in about 9 hours.

I lost GPS and cell signal AT&T a few times for 20 miles or so but there's only one road to follow. You may want to first google -locate gas stations as some will be few and far between. I filled up before I left Vegas and then again in Twenty-Nine Palms.
I'd recommend making sure the vehicle is dependable and be prepared to change a flat tire, or other unforeseen issues that could strand you. There was not many cars on the roads I traveled but there were frequent enough to where if I felt I really had an issue I could probably flag someone down. It was a fantastic trip. This is map of the road I took.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+...400366!3e0!5i1
You never lose GPS in that area but you may lose your navigation program. Some require an internet connection to work properly. You might what to have a separate GPS to avoid that. there is no great danger in the winter other than that getting stuck on a rural road. And that one is well enough patrolled that you won't be there very long.

As should be a normal practice when going off the major roads I would make sure that someone knows where I am going and expects me to check in periodically. Just good sense.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 682 times
Quote:

[url]https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+NV/Niland,+CA/@33.6827029,-116.3451771,8z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3ac cd5e6d5b379a3!2m2!1d-115.1398296!2d36.1699412!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d0adc937706 d67:0xe0b89b9d62bc6cd8!2m2!1d-115.5188756!2d33.2400366!3e0!5i1[/url]
Thank you... that what I am concerned about. Being alone with road less traveled. I will rent a car from Vegas airport, so it would be dependable (hopefully). Google says it takes 1 hr to go from Vegas to Mojave, is it true? Or that's the outskirt of Mojave?

Will it be safe to skip the Death Valley and go only to Mojave and Joshua tree?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM

11,203 posts, read 3,927,097 times
You are in the Mojave desert from the time you get off the airplane. Las Vegas is a valley in the center of the Mojave desert and has the classical desert climate. Less rainfall than any major city in the US. And these roads are not all that deserted. Periodic police or ranger patrols. And put up your hood and someone will almost always stop to check. The people who get in trouble go off the major roads into some gravel or dirt track and then get stuck. And it is generally a problem in the heat not the winter.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 PM

132 posts, read 101,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularperson View Post
Thank you... that what I am concerned about. Being alone with road less traveled. I will rent a car from Vegas airport, so it would be dependable (hopefully). Google says it takes 1 hr to go from Vegas to Mojave, is it true? Or that's the outskirt of Mojave?

Will it be safe to skip the Death Valley and go only to Mojave and Joshua tree?
Personally, I was not very impressed with Death Valley. It's possible that I didn't see the best places. If I'd have skipped Death Valley I wouldn't have missed it. On the other hand the drive through the Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree was over the top incredibly beautiful.

I believe that is accurate that it was about one hour from Vegas until you reach the Mojave National Preserve area, though I recall that the ride South from Vegas on the 15 toward the Mojave Preserve was already quite scenic.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You never lose GPS in that area but you may lose your navigation program. Some require an internet connection to work properly. You might what to have a separate GPS to avoid that. there is no great danger in the winter other than that getting stuck on a rural road. And that one is well enough patrolled that you won't be there very long.

As should be a normal practice when going off the major roads I would make sure that someone knows where I am going and expects me to check in periodically. Just good sense.
Thanks. Will consider taking a Navigation device.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are in the Mojave desert from the time you get off the airplane. Las Vegas is a valley in the center of the Mojave desert and has the classical desert climate. Less rainfall than any major city in the US. And these roads are not all that deserted. Periodic police or ranger patrols. And put up your hood and someone will almost always stop to check. The people who get in trouble go off the major roads into some gravel or dirt track and then get stuck. And it is generally a problem in the heat not the winter.
Thank you

Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 682 times
Quote:
Personally, I was not very impressed with Death Valley. It's possible that I didn't see the best places. If I'd have skipped Death Valley I wouldn't have missed it. On the other hand the drive through the Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree was over the top incredibly beautiful.

I believe that is accurate that it was about one hour from Vegas until you reach the Mojave National Preserve area, though I recall that the ride South from Vegas on the 15 toward the Mojave Preserve was already quite scenic.
I will probably skip Death Valley! Thanks for your replies!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 PM

155 posts, read 168,731 times
If you go to Death Valley, the experience will benefit from studying the history. If you spend an hour reading about the history of the area you will want to go. It is much more than just a desert valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or