U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM

26 posts, read 15,053 times

Advertisements

Aloha guys! Sorry this is super long and I greatly appreciate any help you can provide. I desperately need some moving advice (from local Hawaii people specifically, but if not, that is totally okay also, bc I probably need your help too (please?) Lol. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible. Thank you in advance!

I'm a Kama'aina girl here from Aiea originally and my husband is from NY. We both really want to get out of Austin, Texas, due to the rising cost of living (quickly becoming another SF due to all the techies moving here), the worsening traffic, and I can't forget the lack of diversity here.

My husband and I are looking to possibly make a move to Nevada, preferably in a safe, relatively affordable city $900-1200/month preferably around Hawaii people/an ethnically diverse area, if possible. Our lease is up in January and we have been living in Austin, TX for a few years and we just about had it here. Although it is a very trendy, foodie, liberal city, we are tired of all the stares/questions about our race and just sticking out (I am Japanese from Hawaii and my husband is a light skinned Puerto Rican male from NY). It does not help we live in a $1700/month luxury apartment surrounded by 3 different Whole foods and we drive a new Mercedes. It feels like the white people (the stares primarily come from them) do not want us here and it really hurts because it is such a helpless and unfair feeling. We are both very nice and always well dressed, we just feel unwelcome at times and so I am hoping to definitely find us a new place where we blend in.

Question: How ethnically diverse are the cities that Hawaii people choose to move to? I have heard Henderson, Summerlin and Spring Valley are top choices for Hawaii peeps. Can you tell me the pros and cons of both cities? Recreational things to do? We do not drink but if we move, I plan to use weed for my anxiety (which weed actually helps better than my 4 meds I am currently taking). What are the resident's attitudes towards medical mj usage?

2) Are there decent jobs in those cities for Admin/Office type of work? We want to potentially buy a home in Vegas with a low mortgage then when he's in his dual grad/PhD program in about a year, we could rent out that property then come back when he's done (We are keeping an open mind and are still brainstorming different ideas). We have both heard Nevada is a second Hawaii and want to know where the Hawaii people are located and where we can find affordable, safe living.

Various questions

What type of crimes should we be concerned of, if any, in the cities mentioned or otherwise?

I was informed by JohnInVegas (thanks again, John!) about the cool rock climbing and outdoor activities. Are there other outdoor activities as well? We really love being active/outdoorsy.

Are there any cities besides the ones mentioned with Hawaii people that I am not aware of?

Lastly, what is the Las Vegas or Nevada culture? I heard there is one?

If you made it this far, Thank you so much! Any and all help is really appreciated!!

Last edited by patisserieluv; 11-27-2018 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 AM

4,992 posts, read 8,755,882 times
Hawaiians are everywhere in the "Ninth Island", there is no real concentration of them in any part of the area over another. They do seem to buy a lot of the newer homes, but that's similar to many Californians as the home price refugees tend to find themselves so lucky to be able to buy a new home for so much less than a dump in where they came from.

I met quite a few Hawaiians at work and as neighbors and to be honest most of them have annoying attitudes. Many seemed very bitter that they had to leave, but housing costs priced them out. But when you move to another place, one should be accepting that the culture and lifestyle is different and acting like you are superior and come from a superior place will just **** others off. One at a job I was at was let go and upon his exit proceeded to give a few of us a speech about how mainland work environments are toxic (because we worked OT occasionally to get projects done) and need more Aloha spirit, but that we'd never understand. We laughed about that guy for years.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 AM

9,763 posts, read 5,755,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patisserieluv View Post
What type of crimes should we be concerned of, if any, in the cities mentioned or otherwise?
born on Oahu - left after 21 years to see the world and never made it back. ended up in Henderson in 2004 and we're still here.

Henderson Crime

henderson crime search

metro crime map

Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM

718 posts, read 482,917 times
Las Vegas is very ethnically and racially diverse. You will not get stares or cold shoulders here for anything related to that. I'd venture to say it's one of the most diverse cities in the nation. I have some Hawaiian coworkers who state they enjoy living here.

Nevada Public Radio recently did a show on Hawaiians that have moved to Las Vegas. It was pretty interesting to listen to. I think you could benefit from it.

Quote:
Las Vegas has the biggest population of Hawaiians outside Hawaii, so the city is sometimes called the ninth island.

https://knpr.org/knpr/2018-09/las-ve...s-ninth-island

Old 11-28-2018, 12:10 PM

994 posts, read 1,135,255 times
Quote:
Question: How ethnically diverse are the cities that Hawaii people choose to move to? I have heard Henderson, Summerlin and Spring Valley are top choices for Hawaii peeps. Can you tell me the pros and cons of both cities? Recreational things to do? We do not drink but if we move, I plan to use weed for my anxiety (which weed actually helps better than my 4 meds I am currently taking). What are the resident's attitudes towards medical mj usage?

You're not going to find a lack of things to do. The nearby parks (Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon) have spectacular scenery. The Ethel M Chocolate Factory has (besides outstanding candy) an extensive cactus garden that is free to walk through. During the holidays it is decorated with lights. Each of the Strip hotels has its own theme and vibe, and it can be fun exploring them and seeing what each has to offer.

Marijuana dispensaries are all around the area. Be aware, though, that many employers still drug test, and while you can buy marijuana locally, it is still against federal law to possess or use it, and some employers may still screen you out due to a positive test. I work for a state agency, and when the marijuana question was passed by the voters, my employer sent out a reminder message that it would still be against agency policy to use it, and that employees could potentially be dismissed if they test positive.

Henderson is a city. Summerlin and Spring Valley are not - they are neighborhoods within Las Vegas. Honestly, the only way that you know when you are out of one city and in another (Las Vegas, North Las Vegas or Henderson) is when you go past a sign telling you.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:44 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,593,586 times
Quote:
Although it is a very trendy, foodie, liberal city, we are tired of all the stares/questions about our race and just sticking out (I am Japanese from Hawaii and my husband is a light skinned Puerto Rican male from NY). It does not help we live in a $1700/month luxury apartment surrounded by 3 different Whole foods and we drive a new Mercedes. It feels like the white people (the stares primarily come from them) do not want us here and it really hurts because it is such a helpless and unfair feeling. We are both very nice and always well dressed, we just feel unwelcome at times and so I am hoping to definitely find us a new place where we blend in.

That is really strange. Scratch the surface and the bigotry is right there, eh?

Wow. I can't even fathom that.

Las Vegas will definitely be better for you!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I met quite a few Hawaiians at work and as neighbors and to be honest most of them have annoying attitudes. Many seemed very bitter that they had to leave, but housing costs priced them out. But when you move to another place, one should be accepting that the culture and lifestyle is different and acting like you are superior and come from a superior place will just **** others off. One at a job I was at was let go and upon his exit proceeded to give a few of us a speech about how mainland work environments are toxic (because we worked OT occasionally to get projects done) and need more Aloha spirit, but that we'd never understand. We laughed about that guy for years.
Hi Willy702 and thanks for your response! Let me start by saying that Hawaii people's attitudes are some of the most closed minded, rude and intolerant that I have ever seen. Even being born and raised in Aiea, Oahu, Hawaii, I have never fit it because "I spoke like a mainlander, had mainlander humor and was seen as a banana (yellow on the outside (I'm asian) and white in the inside). Well, sorry not sorry that I do not conform and assimilate to a fake melting pot culture that is extremely xenophobic. I felt all throughout my life that there is no such thing as "living with aloha". Omg do not even get me started on "driving with aloha" that is a hot load of poop. So many Hawaii locals even shun out the locals who do not speak pidgin (referred to as Hawaiian Ebonics - no thanks). I am happy you laughed at that baboon on his exit interview because he was acting ridiculous, esp about the mythical "aloha spirit" bs. I have never been treated so rudely than I have in Hawaii, and if my parents were not living there, I would never visit. Who wants to see ugly freakin' dilapidated infrastructures built in the 70s and pay a minimum of $500,000. No bueno and no thank you. There are much better places in the world to explore that are more welcoming and not bitter jerks.

The reason I am looking for some mainlander LV people is because I'd like to be around Pacific Islanders, and being on the mainland (LV), these individuals may have assimilated to the mainland culture and not the Hawaii one.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
born on Oahu - left after 21 years to see the world and never made it back. ended up in Henderson in 2004 and we're still here.

Hi oeccscclhjhn! Thank you for your response! These links will most definitely help me in my search. If you don't mind, can you tell me how far asian markets are? I am Japanese but I need my pho, a good sushi place, and great thai food. Any in the Henderson area? Also, how far from the LV strip is Henderson? We would like to be close but not too close, if you know what I mean. Thanks again!
Henderson Crime

henderson crime search

metro crime map[/quote]

Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Las Vegas is very ethnically and racially diverse. You will not get stares or cold shoulders here for anything related to that. I'd venture to say it's one of the most diverse cities in the nation. I have some Hawaiian coworkers who state they enjoy living here.

Nevada Public Radio recently did a show on Hawaiians that have moved to Las Vegas. It was pretty interesting to listen to. I think you could benefit from it.
Hi Chahunt, Thank you so much for this link! Super interesting and I greatly appreciate this perspective! I love that Las Vegas is very ethnically and racially diverse. It would be a much welcomed change. My main concern is crime bc I am a very small asian person. My partner will be fine but we need to figure out what will make sense for me, as I need to be careful where I go to. Thanks so much again, Chahunt! Any/all add'l resources are greatly appreciated!

https://knpr.org/knpr/2018-09/las-ve...s-ninth-island[/quote]

Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM

[quote=orca17;53749536]You're not going to find a lack of things to do. The nearby parks (Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon) have spectacular scenery. The Ethel M Chocolate Factory has (besides outstanding candy) an extensive cactus garden that is free to walk through. During the holidays it is decorated with lights. Each of the Strip hotels has its own theme and vibe, and it can be fun exploring them and seeing what each has to offer.

Hi Orca17, thank you for your thorough response! I love that there is a lot of outdoorsy things to do! It's cool there is a cactus garden (and hey, you can't beat free! I have seen cacti but haven't been to a garden specifically for cacti - that's pretty cool in my book.

Quote:
Marijuana dispensaries are all around the area. Be aware, though, that many employers still drug test, and while you can buy marijuana locally, it is still against federal law to possess or use it, and some employers may still screen you out due to a positive test. I work for a state agency, and when the marijuana question was passed by the voters, my employer sent out a reminder message that it would still be against agency policy to use it, and that employees could potentially be dismissed if they test positive.
Wow, thank you for letting me know. I was not sure and was curious about how Employers operate with Nevada being a rec-legal state. I will be careful.

Quote:
Henderson is a city. Summerlin and Spring Valley are not - they are neighborhoods within Las Vegas. Honestly, the only way that you know when you are out of one city and in another (Las Vegas, North Las Vegas or Henderson) is when you go past a sign telling you.
In your opinion, which area of Las Vegas (or slightly outside) would you personally recommend? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or