Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM

207 posts, read 247,031 times

Advertisements

So me and my husband have been toying with the idea of moving in the next several years we live in Connecticut and all we are getting is taxed taxes more taxes cost of living is high essentially we scrape by.

We are looking at several different states. I work retail and do baking on the side so finding a job wouldn’t be to hard and I could relocate with my current job to another store. My husbands a sous chef and also has his pesticides licenses so him finding work wouldn’t be an issues.

We are in our late 30s no children but when we do move we may have a small child at that point.

Something about Nevada draws me and my husband but we are not sure why we have been to the Vegas strip twice and to the Hoover dam that’s about as much as we have seen. Ct is very small and it’s only an hour to the ny, ma and Rhode Island border from where we live.

Some things we would like to know

What is the farthest distance from one town to another ex I know Reno is 6 hours from Nevada.

We pay 925 for a one room apartment 600sqft with heat and hot water included. And one parking space
We pay car taxes but not property as we don’t own any houses or land we also pay a fireman’s tax.

are there rentals comparable to what we pay or Cheaper?

Is the economy jobs better in the Las Vegas area or Reno- sparks area

How are the schools?

Is the healthcare good?

What is the minimum wage? We both make over minimum wage but I know if I was to transfer I would possibly loose some pay.

Does Nevada have cottage laws (baking from your house and selling)

I know how the heat is in the summer been twice but what about fall and winter do you get any snow?

Are there car taxes property taxes?

We have some family in California and Arizona but all of our immediate family is all back east.

Right now we are just trying to figure out the pros and cons of some places Nevada is the farthest on our list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Q: are there rentals comparable to what we pay or Cheaper?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the economy jobs better in the Las Vegas area or Reno- sparks area
A: Debatable. The Tesla Gigafactory has given a large shot in the arm for Reno but that is not enough to overshadow Las Vegas as a prime tourist destination.

Q: How are the schools?
A: Public schools are bad. Clark County is almost at the bottom in the nation in education. If you really care about your kids' education, you either go private/magnet or live in Summerlin/GV which have good public schools.

Q: What is the minimum wage? We both make over minimum wage but I know if I was to transfer I would possibly loose some pay.
A: It's low, around $8.25.

Q: Does Nevada have cottage laws (baking from your house and selling)
A: No idea.

Q: I know how the heat is in the summer been twice but what about fall and winter do you get any snow?
A: Right now our fall is fantastic, but it makes me really worried that summer is going to be HOT. We never have snow in Vegas. The last time it snowed was over a decade ago for only 1-2 days and it wasn't enough to inconvenience anyone.

Q: Are there car taxes property taxes?
A: Registration fees for cars is pretty high. Property taxes are reasonable here.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
So me and my husband have been toying with the idea of moving in the next several years we live in Connecticut and all we are getting is taxed taxes more taxes cost of living is high essentially we scrape by.

We are looking at several different states. I work retail and do baking on the side so finding a job wouldn’t be to hard and I could relocate with my current job to another store. My husbands a sous chef and also has his pesticides licenses so him finding work wouldn’t be an issues.

We are in our late 30s no children but when we do move we may have a small child at that point.

Something about Nevada draws me and my husband but we are not sure why we have been to the Vegas strip twice and to the Hoover dam that’s about as much as we have seen. Ct is very small and it’s only an hour to the ny, ma and Rhode Island border from where we live.

Some things we would like to know

What is the farthest distance from one town to another ex I know Reno is 6 hours from Nevada.

We pay 925 for a one room apartment 600sqft with heat and hot water included. And one parking space
We pay car taxes but not property as we don’t own any houses or land we also pay a fireman’s tax.
* maybe a little less but very close

are there rentals comparable to what we pay or Cheaper?
* very close
Is the economy jobs better in the Las Vegas area or Reno- sparks area
* Vegas but low pay
How are the schools?
* private schools. Public most not good

Is the healthcare good?
* I think it is ok. Not bad. Not great

What is the minimum wage? We both make over minimum wage but I know if I was to transfer I would possibly loose some pay.

Does Nevada have cottage laws (baking from your house and selling)
* hoa’s - business is NOT going to happen and finding a rental that will allow, nope
I know how the heat is in the summer been twice but what about fall and winter do you get any snow?
* Vegas is in the desert. It gets cool
Are there car taxes property taxes?
* very expensive car registration. Varies on msrp. Mercedes going to cost you $1k a year or more

We have some family in California and Arizona but all of our immediate family is all back east.

Right now we are just trying to figure out the pros and cons of some places Nevada is the farthest on our list
Visit before you move. (Off the strip)

Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 PM

207 posts, read 247,031 times
Thanks we will definitely thing about visiting off strip before we move.

We don’t have any children at the moment but hopeful by the time we move we will have a little one with us.

8.25 is low but I’m assuming the cost of living is not high?? It’s 10.10 here at the moment but I make several dollars more than minimum wage.

What are houses going for down in Nevada? Back here In ct we were approved for up to 180,009 for a condo or house but I’m wondering if housing up there is more expensive.

Private

Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
Thanks we will definitely thing about visiting off strip before we move.

We don’t have any children at the moment but hopeful by the time we move we will have a little one with us.

8.25 is low but I’m assuming the cost of living is not high?? It’s 10.10 here at the moment but I make several dollars more than minimum wage.

What are houses going for down in Nevada? Back here In ct we were approved for up to 180,009 for a condo or house but I’m wondering if housing up there is more expensive.

Private
In a good area (average) 300 for a small house. Condo around 240 but you add maintenance fees

Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Nope. Right now in the good NW there are 58 SFRs below $250,000. 85 condos below $150,000. Some may well be in neighborhoods one may not find wonderful but almost all are livable.

Out showing today in the $250,000 range. Lots of stuff. Buyer leaning toward a $215,000 condo. 1300sf 2/2/1.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I live pretty cheap and my bills are 28 an hour. I wouldn't want to try living off of 10.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. Right now in the good NW there are 58 SFRs below $250,000. 85 condos below $150,000. Some may well be in neighborhoods one may not find wonderful but almost all are livable.

Out showing today in the $250,000 range. Lots of stuff. Buyer leaning toward a $215,000 condo. 1300sf 2/2/1.
The median is 300. House three doors from my old house went pending today at 260. Needed 10k tops in repair. The realtor absolutely destroyed the listing. Have master contractor look prior to offer...House needs work... Pictures were terrible

Three doors down, 200 less square feet, listed $120k less than mine sold for. Easiest sale a realtor could have.. 2 days and they probably paid the 6%

Anyone paying more than 3%-4% to sell in this market is insane... my rental property is going up in January. 3.5% total

Last edited by airics; 12-03-2018 at 10:10 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 PM

I see 29 when you take out the pending..and most are trashed. If these were any good, investors would snatch them up. Gotta love going out your back door and hitting a brick wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Cost of living Las Vegas area vs Reno-sparks area-241243d1-6700-4857-8a5c-bf47fb8c6a58.jpeg  

Old 12-04-2018, 07:16 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
If you have been baking (WELL-skilled) and not your follow the recipe on the box baker then you are better off trying to get a job and work at the resorts. Start inquiring or even start sending resumes online and see where it takes you. It will definitely be better pay than minimum wage.

Goodluck with your decision and job hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas