U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM

27,359 posts, read 38,590,431 times

Advertisements

We moved from a city with narrow four lane arterial roads and everyone was speeding on them. I doubt width is an indicator of how fast drivers go.

Those roads were narrow enough that you had to drive through the depressions in the right lane for water runoff into the sewer. Made for an interesting drive. Every block or so your right wheels would dip five or six inches. Drop (front tire).....drop (back tire). Yet people still drove 50 miles an hour on a 35mph road in that lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 PM

2,165 posts, read 2,238,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We moved from a city with narrow four lane arterial roads and everyone was speeding on them. I doubt width is an indicator of how fast drivers go.

Those roads were narrow enough that you had to drive through the depressions in the right lane for water runoff into the sewer. Made for an interesting drive. Every block or so your right wheels would dip five or six inches. Drop (front tire).....drop (back tire). Yet people still drove 50 miles an hour on a 35mph road in that lane.
Urban design is a passion of mine. Respectfully I disagree, but nice story.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM

27,359 posts, read 38,590,431 times
True story. I also respectfully disagree. Drivers that speed do not care about the width of a street.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 PM

13,536 posts, read 9,786,097 times
Quote:
True story. I also respectfully disagree. Drivers that speed do not care about the width of a street.
They only care about themselves.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 PM

2,165 posts, read 2,238,612 times
Quote:
A wide street is a visual indicator to someone driving that there is no friction that they need to worry about if they speed. A street with trees, parked cars and a narrower lane will statistically bring down the overall amount of speeding in the street.

You don't have to take my word for it though, just listen to Jeff Speck. He is a city designer who goes around the country working with cities with a mission to build more "pedestrian friendly" walkable cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wai4ub90stQ

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

13,045 posts, read 9,746,741 times
The cops are busy on-site protecting Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks.

Old Today, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The cops are busy on-site protecting Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks.
No doubt. Have you been here long enough to remember KKLZ’s “ cop in the donut shop “ game? They got a caller and the caller betted on whether or not a cop was in the donut shop. Then they called a random donut shop and asked the poor sot answering the phone if there was a cop in the shop at that time.

Free tickets to whatever the hell they had at the time if you guessed correctly.

Old Today, 04:29 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,329,729 times
Cops have been great in my experience, called them twice on two separate occasions and they arrive within minutes. Not sure why people are bagging them, they go through a lot of crap in this city and do a fine job.

Old Today, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Cops have been great in my experience, called them twice on two separate occasions and they arrive within minutes. Not sure why people are bagging them, they go through a lot of crap in this city and do a fine job.
You would understand the disdain we have for Metro if you read this series. You may have to pay for it now, because it’s really old. Caught the attention of the feds and they came in to try to help fix Metro. It’s been a lot better under Sheriff Lombardo.

If you don’t get a chance to read the whole series, here’s a highlight. One of our fine officers slashed at least three homeless people’s throats. On three different occasions. On duty. They just transferred him to Laughlin.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/a...ginning-today/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or