Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

Any Vegas locals here suffer from seasonal allergies? How are you feeling?

What is the biggest "problem" there? Weeds? Grass? Trees?

I am miserable right now. My enemy is oak tree pollen. Please tell me there aren't many oak trees there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Any Vegas locals here suffer from seasonal allergies? How are you feeling?

What is the biggest "problem" there? Weeds? Grass? Trees?

I am miserable right now. My enemy is oak tree pollen. Please tell me there aren't many oak trees there!
I haven't seen any oak trees in the desert or in the valley itself, but our big pollen producers are olive, pine, oleander and dust kicked up by the winds.

Some people who never had allergies where they came from have moved here and have allergies now, here in the desert. And some who suffered from allergies where they moved from, moved to the desert and now have none.

Its a toss up really, but if oak tree pollen is your only allergen, you shouldn't have to worry about it here in LV. Until you live here for a while you won't know if the resident airborne allergens I mentioned above are a problem for you or not.

Last edited by MomMom; 05-17-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Yeah, I was one of those people who had mild allergies, moved here and got HORRIBLE allergies. Took over two years for my body to fully adjust. I still have allergies here but non-drowsy allergy meds are able to control it. When I was still trying to adjust, even things like benadryl wouldn't really work. I'd just have allergies and want to go to bed.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
We have a LOT of pollen here from brain-dead landscaping decisions. Your main nemeses will be the Russian olive and the fruitless mulberry. Both were planted because they grew fast to provide shade.

This city used to be one of the best places on Earth for allergy sufferers. Now it's one of the worst.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 AM

542 posts, read 986,068 times
Something is different this year though.

I cannot remember a worse year, than this year, for runny noses and itchy eyes. I'm usually allergy free (I had allergy shots 3 times a week for ~5 years of my childhood), but this year has been miserable.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
The fact that we didn't have a winter, maybe?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM

131 posts, read 209,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post

I cannot remember a worse year, than this year, for runny noses and itchy eyes. I'm usually allergy free (I had allergy shots 3 times a week for ~5 years of my childhood), but this year has been miserable.
The hubby is also one of those who did not have allergies before we moved here and now does. Lots of pine trees around us and various flowering bushes. A neti pot worked wonders for him, as he's VERY sensitive to OTC meds. He's managing much better now, but our neighbor suffers pretty bad from them--he's a 30-year local from CA and says the air quality is better there He also smokes so I'm sure that has something to do with his suffering this year. But his allergist has said this IS a bad year for allergens--all over the country, apparently, as I hear the same from people back east.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
There are oak trees all over my neighborhood.

I never noticed allergies until I moved here. Now I have allergic asthma.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We have a LOT of pollen here from brain-dead landscaping decisions. Your main nemeses will be the Russian olive and the fruitless mulberry. Both were planted because they grew fast to provide shade.

This city used to be one of the best places on Earth for allergy sufferers. Now it's one of the worst.
Olive & mulberry are problems for me along with some other trees and weeds i'm not really familiar with. I got allergy tested a few years ago & was surprised by the results.

I notice too when I go inside stores my symptoms are even worse maybe because they dont dust or vacuum.? I take benadryl at night but it only helps me sleep.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Allergies have been horrible here in the midwest because we didn't really have a winter. We never had a hard freeze, so everything started growing early...a full month ahead of schedule. I usually feel the worst in early to mid March, but my symptoms started Feb 6 (no idea why I remember the date). I woke up that morning feeling lousy, then heard that tree pollen was WAY up. But I already knew that.

My lilac bush that usually blooms at the end of May was done a week ago. Everything is literally a full month early.

For me, tree pollen is the culprit. I usually feel awful for about 4 to 6 weeks in the spring, then I am mostly okay from then on. Once the trees have leaves the worst of it is usually over for me. Not this year. For some reason tree pollen is way up again this week and I am just miserable. Allergy meds do not help, they only put me to sleep and/or make me feel much worse. Today I got up and took some and went back to bed for 3 hours, and still woke in a fog. The symptoms are almost easier to deal with than "medicine head."

I have never been specifically diagnosed with oak tree allergies, but in tracking my symptoms over the years, every time I have a flare up it ALWAYS coincides specifically with oak pollen levels. I've lived around a lot of pine and while they do make me break out (A live Xmas tree for example will give me a rash after decorating it) they have not given me the itching, sneezing, coughing, etc that other pollen does.

I would not be suprised if I find that I am allergic to trees we don't have here once I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas