U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 PM

554 posts, read 203,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is because you are a true believer. True believers Always see the gray and muddy crystal clear. Generally wrong though.
What does that even mean?

Quote:
He said what he said. Simply put up the next few minutes of the interchange. But he is talking property tax caps...not property tax.
I fail to see the difference. Raising property tax caps = raising property taxes. Period. The only way property taxes wouldn't increase is if property values don't increase. Fat chance.

Quote:
You are welcome to your beliefs. But that does not impact the fact that we tend to determine fair as a percent of value rather than a flat fee. The lunatic fringe libertarians have all sorts of weird views as to how society should behave. On occasion they may be right. So we should listen but ignore the simplistic. A simple view on taxation...you go where the money is...per head fees ignore this major parameter.
Who is we? If "fair" is a percent of value, and values keep increasing by ridiculous amounts, then the county/state continues to get more and more money over time. I think percentages made sense when houses cost $50K. They don't make sense when houses cost $350K. If Joe Blow $350K house has 2 kids enrolled, why should he pay more than Jane Vain who also has 2 kids but a $125K house? The cost to the district was the same, either way. At any rate, being taxed simply for owning something is complete bull****.

As an example of why percentages don't work now: State of MD has a 5% cap on yearly rent increases. In 19-dickety-8 when the law was made, rentals were $300/mth so 5% was $15/mth or $180/yr. In 2019 the same rental is now $1400/mth so 5% is $70/mth or $840/yr - 4.7X what it was in 1979. That's a couple of paychecks for some people. The only thing simplistic is the idea that a percentage mechanism scales in 2018 the same way it did in 1979. Keep in mind that wages have essentially remained flat all this time until the last couple of years.

If anything, such taxes should be a flat amount with a yearly adjustment pegged to inflation. The way the system is now, every organization being funded with such taxes will implicitly get a minor budget increase every fiscal year, and the size of those increases will continue to increase every year, because the same percentage is now figured against a larger amount than before. Its the same premise as compound interest...

Quote:
NV runs off of gambling money and mining to an extent no other state manages. That is why living here is so inexpensive. And in actual fact it is not simply NV that short changes education. Standard in the SW states. So NV is only one of the outliers.
I haven't checked in a while be we were like 49/50 a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Now of course we can rebalance the accounts. I think for instance there is evidence that we are mildly liight on gaming taxing and heavily light on mineral fees. We should fix both.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
No property tax simply ain't gonna happen.

If you think a lotto is going to fill the school funding gap, you're not looking at the numbers. We're close to $3,000 per pupil under the national average. We have approx half a million students. That's 1.5 billion dollars per year to simply get us up to average.
Why not? It does in every other state.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 3,117,018 times
No it doesn't, not even close. AZ nets around 300-350 million from their lotto per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Why not? It does in every other state.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 PM

197 posts, read 82,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Did you sell and move to Texas?
Unfortunately no not yet, in a few months when school year is over. Offerpad and Opendoor still keeps bugging me with new offers but time is not on my side and can't go fast enough. Oh well, in any case it will still be a good payday for me soon.

And how the heck did Sisolak come into this thread? That liberal governor needs to open up his house to the Guatemalans and Honduran women/children who have diseases and wants free handout from taxpaying Americans like us.

I still cannot wrap my head around on why, as a sovereign nation, we can't build a protective wall on areas where it's needed. Walls/barriers work, it worked downrange, otherwise I wouldn't be home today. Dumb democrats, always put others people's need before Americans. And what is up with them protecting DACA people so much? What sacrifice have they done for this country, that's what I thought, zero--zilch, nada!

See I'm off-topic already, lol..

end of RANT.

Last edited by MaryoVilla; 01-24-2019 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 10:55 PM

197 posts, read 82,378 times
Quote:
No it doesn't, not even close. AZ nets around 300-350 million from their lotto per year.
No one wants to know the truth, the number 1 reason our school and neighboring state school is overcrowded with students is because we let children of illegal immigrants attend our school no questions ask. How stupid is this? We are paying for them to use our school system, clogging our system and abusing our system. These politicians keeps talking about how to reduce class sizes, here is an idea--start asking if parents are US citizens or are here legally before letting them attend our school. No one wants to talk about it, everyone's feeling might get hurt...the snowflakes are running around in the media. It's the elephant in the classroom.

Every single day i'm inching closer to putting my name in the hat for the Presidential race. Someday.

End of rant.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:26 PM

10,378 posts, read 8,824,151 times
And this thread is going off the rails.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 PM

A US supreme court case was already tried around this (Plyler v Doe) and found it to be illegal.

The Court reasoned that illegal aliens and their children, though not citizens of the United States or Texas, are people "in any ordinary sense of the term" and, therefore, are afforded Fourteenth Amendment protections. Since the state law severely disadvantaged the children of illegal aliens, by denying them the right to an education, and because Texas could not prove that the regulation was needed to serve a "compelling state interest," the Court struck down the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
start asking if parents are US citizens or are here legally before letting them attend our school. No one wants to talk about it, everyone's feeling might get hurt...the snowflakes are running around in the media. It's the elephant in the classroom.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
It all depends how the state allocates revenues. There are many states with school funding from lottery revenue in the high hundreds of millions and many also turning billions, yearly.

At any rate, even if it's only $350M it's better than $0.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
A US supreme court case was already tried around this (Plyler v Doe) and found it to be illegal.

The Court reasoned that illegal aliens and their children, though not citizens of the United States or Texas, are people "in any ordinary sense of the term" and, therefore, are afforded Fourteenth Amendment protections. Since the state law severely disadvantaged the children of illegal aliens, by denying them the right to an education, and because Texas could not prove that the regulation was needed to serve a "compelling state interest," the Court struck down the law.
Charge them "out of state" tuition. This is exactly why parents should pay a school tax for their children. I could care less where you're from as long as you're paying your share of the bill. Since the students have to enroll, it's not like we don't know where to send the bill. Most of the illegals rent so they're not paying any property taxes for their children's education at all.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 PM

Your posts are basically nonsense.

AZ's total lottery revenue is 300'ish million per year. Can't allocate more then you receive in total. Lottery revenue is mostly a function of population size.

Quote:
It all depends how the state allocates revenues. There are many states with school funding from lottery revenue in the high hundreds of millions and many also turning billions, yearly.

At any rate, even if it's only $350M it's better than $0.
You're dreaming. And renters pay property taxes too, by proxy of their landlord.

Quote:
Charge them "out of state" tuition. This is exactly why parents should pay a school tax for their children. I could care less where you're from as long as you're paying your share of the bill. Since the students have to enroll, it's not like we don't know where to send the bill. Most of the illegals rent so they're not paying any property taxes for their children's education at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or