U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 PM

160 posts, read 171,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I know someone who works for the welfare office and they've said many illegals are playing the system. Filing for benefits as single and both parents signing up for benefits, signing up for benefits under multiple names, using other people's kids and claiming they're their own...

They said the welfare office is aware of the fraud but doesn't have the resources to persue it and they have been instructed to ignore the problems.
It turns me off right away when I read "i know someone who told me ....." to support the argument, instead of citing stats/data from reliable sources.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 AM

201 posts, read 57,333 times
Quote:
You do realize that not all Mexicans are "brown" and Mexico is a multi-cultural country similar to the United States?

Protecting borders and public programs from abuse isn't racist. It's common sense.
You canít claim to be concerned about the economy when you turn a blind eye to 7 trillion American dollars being funneled from the public to bankers and corporations in less than 20 years. Obviously there is another motivator there and it ainít economic anxiety, itís race.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:34 AM

16,777 posts, read 20,501,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
In 20 more years when all the baby boomers are in diapers, you'll be wanting immigrant labor. I doubt there will be enough white people to take care of them and further, it's not in western culture to do hospice work.
The main reason we're being so liberal with allowing illegals into the country. Sans immigrants, our fertility rate is estimated to be 1.7, whereas 2.3 is the desirable rate for any country. Fertility rates in Europe range from 1.3 to 1.4 in Germany. And, any surprise they're allowing immigrants to come in? Even Mexico's fertility rate as fallen to 2.2, with a large aging population of their own some day. 25,000 recently protested in Mexican Border cities, demanding a 20% increase in pay. An early result of their lowering fertility rate?

In Japan (which doesn't allow immigrants for other reasons) there's now 1.2 applicants per job. Imagine owing a business over there and only one person applies for the job!

Old 01-28-2019, 07:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,394,736 times
Let's assume that building a wall works to keep out illegals (it won't, but for argument's sake, lets just make a crazy hypothetical assumption). Now what will happen to the US? I'll tell you what, it will become more violent than ever. Here's the proof:

"A 2018 study by the Cato Institute, for example, found that native-born U.S. residents are much more likely to be convicted of a crime than immigrants in the country illegally.

A separate study published last March in the journal Criminology found that states with more undocumented immigrants have lower crime rates than those with fewer."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factc...way/ar-BBSEoRe

People want a wall because it's something physical they can see / touch. They want it to keep, who they think is, the enemy out. They think this enemy is causing an increase in crime and that they are taking jobs away from existing citizens. It's those same people that refuse to consider facts and logic. I could be wrong, but I think Hitler blamed the Jews for the exact same things.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,281,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The main reason we're being so liberal with allowing illegals into the country. Sans immigrants, our fertility rate is estimated to be 1.7, whereas 2.3 is the desirable rate for any country. Fertility rates in Europe range from 1.3 to 1.4 in Germany. And, any surprise they're allowing immigrants to come in? Even Mexico's fertility rate as fallen to 2.2, with a large aging population of their own some day. 25,000 recently protested in Mexican Border cities, demanding a 20% increase in pay. An early result of their lowering fertility rate?

In Japan (which doesn't allow immigrants for other reasons) there's now 1.2 applicants per job. Imagine owing a business over there and only one person applies for the job!
Most of Latin America's fertility rate is around 2.0. The housing shortage that is faced in large metro areas around USA will probably solve itself in about 15 more years and it's going to be an awful time to be a landlord/owner and a great time to be a renter.

I can understand the frustration faced by blue collar workers. They believe(and rightly so) that their wages are being suppressed because Latin Americans dominate those industries. So putting a number on legal immigration DOES make sense. Both sides argue about immigration without discussing an actual reasonable number of how many immigrants we legally wish to allow every year. Is it 1 million a year? Is it 500,000? I have no idea because all the arguments come down to is "a wall is evil" or "immigrants are evil", and neither of those statements are really true.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 AM

390 posts, read 70,067 times
Quote:
Properties can be leased and re-rented. The landlord may be a 3rd party or management company and not the owner of the property.
In which they are agents of the owner. It is an agency relationship.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 AM

5,034 posts, read 8,862,999 times
Started out a thread on housing in Las Vegas, turned into whatever mess this is. Good work mods

Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 AM

390 posts, read 70,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The solution is internal mechanisms that make it pretty much impossible to stay in the US without permission. And that has to work for those who come in by air as well as border crossers.

So let's get the problem fixed internally and then see if we need more or better obstructions on the border.
I've often wondered why rules such as the following haven't been suggested or discussed, let alone implemented:

* Need to provide proof of legal residency or visit in order to get a cell phone service plan
* Need to provide proof of legal residency or visit in order to get satellite TV/cable TV/Internet/land line service plan
* Need to provide proof of legal residency in order to rent a home/apartment
* Need to provide proof of legal residency in order to purchase alcohol/tobacco
* Need to provide proof of legal residency in order... etc, etc etc.

Of course, the above would not be in the interest of the cell phone providers, cable companies, landlords, etc. And yes, of course, there were be cheaters...

Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 PM

543 posts, read 200,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
It turns me off right away when I read "i know someone who told me ....." to support the argument, instead of citing stats/data from reliable sources.
There are no stats and data to report on. If you don't like it, then believe whatever the hell you want.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:09 PM

543 posts, read 200,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
You canít claim to be concerned about the economy when you turn a blind eye to 7 trillion American dollars being funneled from the public to bankers and corporations in less than 20 years. Obviously there is another motivator there and it ainít economic anxiety, itís race.
We weren't talking about banks and corporations. Stop trying to derail the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or