Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
And this thread is going off the rails.
It's great. As a teacher, I'm enjoying it.

Just going to drop this in here. There's 17 states that require the ACT for all high school students. Here is each state, the amount they spend on education per student, and their average ACT score.

Alabama $9,236 19.2
Arkansas $9,846 19.4
Colorado $9,575 20.8
Kentucky $9,863 20
Louisiana $11,038 19.5
Minnesota $12,382 21.5
Mississippi $8,702 18.6
Missouri $10,313 20.4
Montana $11,348 20.3
Nevada $8,960 17.8
North Carolina $8,792 19.1
Oklahoma $8,097 19.4
South Carolina $10,249 18.7
Tennessee $8,810 19.8
Utah $6,953 20.3
Wisconsin $11,456 20.5
Wyoming $16,442 20.2

Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 PM

929 posts, read 399,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
A US supreme court case was already tried around this (Plyler v Doe) and found it to be illegal.

The Court reasoned that illegal aliens and their children, though not citizens of the United States or Texas, are people "in any ordinary sense of the term" and, therefore, are afforded Fourteenth Amendment protections. Since the state law severely disadvantaged the children of illegal aliens, by denying them the right to an education, and because Texas could not prove that the regulation was needed to serve a "compelling state interest," the Court struck down the law.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, an outdated federal mandate created in 1982, it does not, I repeat, it does not address the issues we have today of stupid mass migration from countries who can't take care of themselves.

Let's see, $59.2 billion dollars have been spent on ESL and LEP programs..my kids are not in it because they speak English.

In plain English, I'm working my ass off to pay for some kids education? How stupid is that.

I will petition to overturn this stupid ruling.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:23 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,992 times
Quote:
Your posts are basically nonsense.
I'm sorry basic reading comprehension goes over your head.

Quote:
AZ's total lottery revenue is 300'ish million per year. Can't allocate more then you receive in total. Lottery revenue is mostly a function of population size.
I took what you said to mean that AZ's schools were neting $300-350M from the lottery revenues, since that was the context of the conversation.

Quote:
You're dreaming. And renters pay taxes too, by proxy of their landlord.
Show me the remitted tax bills, then. There is no such thing as "paying taxes by proxy" - you either paid them or you didn't. You have no way to know what source of funding a property owner used to pay the taxes in the first place, what type of title they have, whether they did a 99 year prepay with the state, etc.

Landlord pays property tax for entire property not the 500 individual families living there.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 AM

395 posts, read 272,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I'm sorry basic reading comprehension goes over your head.

Show me the remitted tax bills, then. There is no such thing as "paying taxes by proxy" - you either paid them or you didn't. You have no way to know what source of funding a property owner used to pay the taxes in the first place, what type of title they have, whether they did a 99 year prepay with the state, etc.

Landlord pays property tax for entire property not the 500 individual families living there.
So you're basically claiming then that anyone who rents doesn't deserve to have their
children educated? I think that is utter BS.

Arguing our current method of funding education is unequal and unfair is one thing but that isn't
exactly what you did.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Unfortunately no not yet, in a few months when school year is over. Offerpad and Opendoor still keeps bugging me with new offers but time is not on my side and can't go fast enough. Oh well, in any case it will still be a good payday for me soon.

And how the heck did Sisolak come into this thread? That liberal governor needs to open up his house to the Guatemalans and Honduran women/children who have diseases and wants free handout from taxpaying Americans like us.

I still cannot wrap my head around on why, as a sovereign nation, we can't build a protective wall on areas where it's needed. Walls/barriers work, it worked downrange, otherwise I wouldn't be home today. Dumb democrats, always put others people's need before Americans. And what is up with them protecting DACA people so much? What sacrifice have they done for this country, that's what I thought, zero--zilch, nada!

See I'm off-topic already, lol..

end of RANT.
Better build one in San Antonio then, just to make sure the president is happy. We'll get the Mexicans to build it too, just to make sure it's done right.

I now wonder if the US is the laughing stock of the world because of said idiot, or because of people like you?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Unfortunately no not yet, in a few months when school year is over. Offerpad and Opendoor still keeps bugging me with new offers but time is not on my side and can't go fast enough. Oh well, in any case it will still be a good payday for me soon.

And how the heck did Sisolak come into this thread? That liberal governor needs to open up his house to the Guatemalans and Honduran women/children who have diseases and wants free handout from taxpaying Americans like us.

I still cannot wrap my head around on why, as a sovereign nation, we can't build a protective wall on areas where it's needed. Walls/barriers work, it worked downrange, otherwise I wouldn't be home today. Dumb democrats, always put others people's need before Americans. And what is up with them protecting DACA people so much? What sacrifice have they done for this country, that's what I thought, zero--zilch, nada!

See I'm off-topic already, lol..

end of RANT.
Well if we send the Democrats to Mexico, then Mexico will build a wall and our problem is solved

The problem is 100% Pelosi, she’s not for the people.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:26 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Quote:

Rent pays for all expenses of the property, including property tax, plus a profit for the owner.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
All public transit is negative ROI.
Yes, it is a stupid investment.

Quote:
You can't expand bus service beyond a double decker bus.
LOL! I wasn't referring to creating triple deck buses. I was referring to adding more double deck buses - as many as you like.

Quote:
The point of a light rail is to expand capacity somewhere that busses alone are insufficient. Once the stadium and the orb go in there is going to be an increased demand for games and events.
That's the "peak load problem." The capacity for either fixed rail or for buses doesn't just expand for an event. You don't hire a bunch of employees and have them be idle except for peak loads. You don't buy a bunch of extra light rail cars and have them sit idle except for peak loads. It is very much like a freeway: its capacity is relatively fixed. Just as everyone complains during rush hour that the freeway doesn't have adequate capacity, so also will they complain during peak times that a light rail or bus system doesn't have adequate capacity.

Imagine we had a light rail system all along: it doesn't go to the stadium. That's the problem with fixed assets such as a light rail: it is fixed. It doesn't go to where you want it to.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And, he pledged, it won’t require new taxes but he is planning to ask for taxes established in 2015, which are set to expire, to be extended.
I love political speak. "No new taxes -just extend the ones we previously promised would terminate."

In common every day language, I'd call that a new tax.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
A US supreme court case was already tried around this (Plyler v Doe) and found it to be illegal.
Just a nit: SCOTUS did not find it to be illegal (against the law). Instead they found it to be unconstitutional - a violation of the US Constitution.

The implication is really about change: what must The States and The People do if they wish a different outcome: it would require a change to the US Constitution - a very high bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas