Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,556,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Show me the remitted tax bills, then. There is no such thing as "paying taxes by proxy" - you either paid them or you didn't. You have no way to know what source of funding a property owner used to pay the taxes in the first place, what type of title they have, whether they did a 99 year prepay with the state, etc.

Landlord pays property tax for entire property not the 500 individual families living there.
Equid0x, I understand your point. However, one of the lessons of Econ 101 is there is a distinction between who pays the tax -- you correctly identify the property owner pays the tax -- and where the ultimate burden of that tax falls.

For example, all of us purchase things at retail. Ask anyone to look at their cash register receipt and they will report yes, they paid sales tax.

But of course, they didn't. They did not remit funds to the State Taxing Authority, nor did they file forms either. The Retailer did. But the Retailer collected funds from the end customer and forwarded them.

Econ 101 teaches us that the incidence of the tax - who bears the burden - is largely a function of the price elasticity of demand and the price elasticity of supply. These are the slopes of the supply and demand curves. In common terms for those who never studied economics, the question is "is it a tenant's market? or is it a landlord's market?" If it is a tenant's market - lots of supply, lots of unrented units suppressing rental rates - then the property owner bears most of the burden of the property tax. If it is a landlord's market -tight supply with few unrented units driving rental rates higher - then the tenant bears most of the burden of the tax.

I may not have explained it well enough for you to understand. If you're interested, see any of the following for perhaps a better explanation:

https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...-tax-incidence
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tax_incidence.asp
https://www.economicshelp.org/concepts/tax-incidence/

Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,231,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I love political speak. "No new taxes -just extend the ones we previously promised would terminate."

In common every day language, I'd call that a new tax.
Where did you find Sisolak or anyone promising the taxes involved would not be renewed?

Not all that unusual to have taxes that are periodically renewed.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,045,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
So you're basically claiming then that anyone who rents doesn't deserve to have their
children educated? I think that is utter BS.

Arguing our current method of funding education is unequal and unfair is one thing but that isn't
exactly what you did.
Read the thread again. I said parents should be charged a school tax for each child.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Rent pays for all expenses of the property, including property tax, plus a profit for the owner.
Again, property tax on a single 500 unit property != Property tax on 500 SFRs.The tenants aren't paying it anyways the owner is.The landlord may or may not own the property.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM

929 posts, read 395,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Better build one in San Antonio then, just to make sure the president is happy. We'll get the Mexicans to build it too, just to make sure it's done right.

I now wonder if the US is the laughing stock of the world because of said idiot, or because of people like you?
NO, we are the laughing stock of the world because of our extremely generous immigration policy. How much more can we give to please everyone in the world. People like you need to wake up, unless you are a Nancy Pelosi cheerleader! I am for immigration, the difference is, I want LEGAL immigration...you know going to the US Embassy and actually applying. Instead we have kids wrapped in blanket thrown over the fence by illegal idiots. Would you like to catch them and feed them and clothe them, go ahead!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is a stupid investment.

LOL! I wasn't referring to creating triple deck buses. I was referring to adding more double deck buses - as many as you like.

That's the "peak load problem." The capacity for either fixed rail or for buses doesn't just expand for an event. You don't hire a bunch of employees and have them be idle except for peak loads. You don't buy a bunch of extra light rail cars and have them sit idle except for peak loads. It is very much like a freeway: its capacity is relatively fixed. Just as everyone complains during rush hour that the freeway doesn't have adequate capacity, so also will they complain during peak times that a light rail or bus system doesn't have adequate capacity.

Imagine we had a light rail system all along: it doesn't go to the stadium. That's the problem with fixed assets such as a light rail: it is fixed. It doesn't go to where you want it to.
Actually, every public transit system has busses/cars that are not run all the time and are only used for peak load.

How do you transit more people on double decker busses when they already run every 5 minutes?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:03 PM

929 posts, read 395,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Well if we send the Democrats to Mexico, then Mexico will build a wall and our problem is solved

The problem is 100% Pelosi, she’s not for the people.
I agree with you 100%, for the love of God, why can't law abiding citizens can't figure out what her and the rest of Liberal idiots are trying to do to our country and the future of our generations. Our children needs us to fix this not play games, and when I say "our children" I mean children of every freaking law abiding legal US citizens, Irish American, Hispanic American, asian Americans...don't really care, follow the rules, obey the law and TAKE care of our country.

SO many retards like Ocasio Cortez, who has not done a single lick of sacrifice for our country think they have the right to decide what our future will be. BS!

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Equid0x, I understand your point. However, one of the lessons of Econ 101 is there is a distinction between who pays the tax -- you correctly identify the property owner pays the tax -- and where the ultimate burden of that tax falls.

For example, all of us purchase things at retail. Ask anyone to look at their cash register receipt and they will report yes, they paid sales tax.

But of course, they didn't. They did not remit funds to the State Taxing Authority, nor did they file forms either. The Retailer did. But the Retailer collected funds from the end customer and forwarded them.

Econ 101 teaches us that the incidence of the tax - who bears the burden - is largely a function of the price elasticity of demand and the price elasticity of supply. These are the slopes of the supply and demand curves. In common terms for those who never studied economics, the question is "is it a tenant's market? or is it a landlord's market?" If it is a tenant's market - lots of supply, lots of unrented units suppressing rental rates - then the property owner bears most of the burden of the property tax. If it is a landlord's market -tight supply with few unrented units driving rental rates higher - then the tenant bears most of the burden of the tax.

I may not have explained it well enough for you to understand. If you're interested, see any of the following for perhaps a better explanation:

https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...-tax-incidence
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tax_incidence.asp
https://www.economicshelp.org/concepts/tax-incidence/
When you have a sales and use tax license you are acting as an agent on behalf of the state in collection of those taxes. The customer is charged through a specific line item accounting for their tax burden in the transaction. The state then has the merchant remit the total amount collected on a set schedule, typically quarterly.

There is no such line item for rent or in a rental contract. The Landlord may shift some of those costs onto tenants as part of business, but the property owner is still on the hook to pay those taxes whether the tenants pay their rent or not. The tenants, at no time, become responsible for the tax liability of the property.

In fact, if you live in a rental and the owner does not pay the property taxes the state can and will foreclose on the property and put it up for auction, giving the tenant the boot.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,011,408 times
Quote:
The landlord may or may not own the property.

Uhhh ... whut?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

241 posts, read 142,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
NO, we are the laughing stock of the world because of our extremely generous immigration policy. How much more can we give to please everyone in the world. People like you need to wake up, unless you are a Nancy Pelosi cheerleader! I am for immigration, the difference is, I want LEGAL immigration...you know going to the US Embassy and actually applying. Instead we have kids wrapped in blanket thrown over the fence by illegal idiots. Would you like to catch them and feed them and clothe them, go ahead!
I could care less about immigrants but the impact they have on the economy is miniscule compared to unchecked capitalism and the fusion of government and business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas