U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM

442 posts, read 173,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Keep in mind that putting things in the bin however you feel like it could potentially make an entire load of otherwise good recycling unusable. If you aren't going to do it right, throw it in the trash. It's not that difficult, you just need to learn a different routine which soon becomes second nature.

I've been using an all in one bin for about 15 years. It's so easy.
In my neighborhood, they never gave out instructions on what was supposed to be recycled and what wasn't and how it needed to be preprocessed before being placed in the bin. In fact, they never told us they were changing trash service. The new bins just showed up in the driveway one day.

I have no idea which number plastics they want and have just been throwing anything plastic in there all this time.

I was rather under the impression that they were sorting these things out at the recycling center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM

192 posts, read 28,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The more I read the more I expect the programs to stop. At some point it will cost too much and it will all go into the landfills. Once again the United States could learn from Europe. But we won't.

Quote:
But the burden of paying for it falls on cities — or residents who pay for the trash service — because the U.S. has not followed the path of many European countries of requiring manufacturers to take responsibility for the disposal or recovery of their products and packaging.

Yes, I'd like manufacturers to take responsibility for the disposal of their products - especially the manufacturers of Huggies, Pampers, Luvs, etc. Of course, they'll just toss it in landfill anyway.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:29 AM

22 posts, read 5,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes, those padded envelopes are what they called "mixed materials" (paper and the plastic bubble stuff) so they don't take them. If they are paper padded envelopes you can recycle the paper part if you take the time to separate it from the bubbles, but who has time to do that?

Also, be sure there is no water in anything that is rinsed out
or any food residue on anything; it will cause the entire load to get scrapped.

wait seriously?

it's Vegas, doesn't it all dry out while you wheel the bin out of the garage???

Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM

8,791 posts, read 9,064,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricjerry View Post
wait seriously?

it's Vegas, doesn't it all dry out while you wheel the bin out of the garage???
it just means that if you rinse a bottle out, for example, be sure all of the water is emptied before replacing the cap or tossing in the bin. And, don't throw in anything that still has liquid in it, like a plastic Coke bottle with pop still in it.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
In my neighborhood, they never gave out instructions on what was supposed to be recycled and what wasn't and how it needed to be preprocessed before being placed in the bin. In fact, they never told us they were changing trash service. The new bins just showed up in the driveway one day.

I have no idea which number plastics they want and have just been throwing anything plastic in there all this time.

I was rather under the impression that they were sorting these things out at the recycling center.
There is a ton of information in the website incoluding some videos.

https://recyclingsimplified.com/

Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM

192 posts, read 28,689 times
At the end of the day, much recycling -- and in some communities most recycling -- ends up in landfill. There really just isn't much economic demand for the single-stream stuff we put in our recycling bins.

Personally, I'd prefer we abandon single-stream recycling and instead institute pre-sorted recycling: Separate, smaller bins for each of newspaper, mixed paper, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and the like. I believe most communities implemented single-stream recycling to comply with Federal laws requiring a minimum percentage of recycling, and single-stream made it easy for consumers to comply compared to having consumers pre-sort. People are far better educated about recycling now, and I think it would be better to return to consumers separating the material first.

But that's just me.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,174,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
At the end of the day, much recycling -- and in some communities most recycling -- ends up in landfill. There really just isn't much economic demand for the single-stream stuff we put in our recycling bins.

Personally, I'd prefer we abandon single-stream recycling and instead institute pre-sorted recycling: Separate, smaller bins for each of newspaper, mixed paper, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and the like. I believe most communities implemented single-stream recycling to comply with Federal laws requiring a minimum percentage of recycling, and single-stream made it easy for consumers to comply compared to having consumers pre-sort. People are far better educated about recycling now, and I think it would be better to return to consumers separating the material first.

But that's just me.
That's what we had before the big can-red white and blue crates. I still have them in my garage. Problem with those is that some people weren't smart enough to stack the paper bin in the middle so that its contents didn't blow all over the neighborhood. I used to put a big rock on my neighbors bin.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

But that's just me.
Facitilies and trucks are designed for the one-wheelie-bin system. It's much faster and more efficient that way. I am really surprised to took Las Vegas SO LONG to get there.

Last edited by ElleTea; 01-11-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 12,872 times
Default The best part

I really like the part where you go get the bin in the evening and there may are may not be broken bottles all around. You could cut the tension with a knife. And in the winter - oh, that's the best part - you don't get to see if they gave you any 'til the next morning. Sort of Schrödinger's broken bottles.

Of course, that's not to dismiss the joy of random pieces of paper and plastic floating around.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:37 PM

446 posts, read 340,356 times
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ing-to-an-end/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or