U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM

198 posts, read 28,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Facitilies and trucks are designed for the one-wheelie-bin system. It's much faster and more efficient that way.
It would be even faster still to simply not recycle. Everything goes into a one-wheelie-bin trash can. But of course that isn't the point.

Single stream recycling -- mixing recyclable plastics with cardboard, paper, aluminum cans and steel cans at every house on the block -- means someone has to sort this into its component parts at the recycling center. It means conveyor belts and sorting machines and unskilled labor trying to sort it, and getting it wrong. It means more contamination at the house, as someone puts garbage into the recycling bin by accident.

And at the end of the day, much of it is too contaminated to have any economic value so it goes to the landfill anyway.

Our current system of recycling is aspirational - it is designed to make people feel good about recycling, and it not particularly effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 AM

198 posts, read 28,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post

Excellent article. Should be required reading.

• The recycling trucks are constantly compacting, smashing the single-stream material together...
  • Glass breaks and shards get into the plastic and the paper...
  • Recycling facility machines sometimes canít tell the difference between a flattened water bottle, a well-squashed tin can and a piece of paper...
  • One out of 6 bottles and 1 in 3 cans end up sorted and shipped out wrong.
  • And the machines canít un-grind glass shards from the fibers of a cardboard box or pick tiny bits of paper and plastic from piles of half-broken glass.

The issue is the trade-off: single-stream recycling means more volume because it is easy for the homeowner, but makes it hard at the recycling sorting facility.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:52 PM

447 posts, read 173,627 times
Quote:
There is a ton of information in the website incoluding some videos.

https://recyclingsimplified.com/
Is that a republic services site? The requirements for recycling have varied in the different places I have lived.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
At the end of the day, much recycling -- and in some communities most recycling -- ends up in landfill. There really just isn't much economic demand for the single-stream stuff we put in our recycling bins.

Personally, I'd prefer we abandon single-stream recycling and instead institute pre-sorted recycling: Separate, smaller bins for each of newspaper, mixed paper, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and the like. I believe most communities implemented single-stream recycling to comply with Federal laws requiring a minimum percentage of recycling, and single-stream made it easy for consumers to comply compared to having consumers pre-sort. People are far better educated about recycling now, and I think it would be better to return to consumers separating the material first.

But that's just me.
That's what we had a couple years ago although when I started service I was never provided with the red white and blue bins so straight to Apex everything was going.

Republic services overcharges for trash service under a county granted monopoly. I suspect the only reason they went single stream was to reduce labor costs and make higher profits.

I have been to the recycling center here before and it looks to me like it's mostly another storage scam to obtain the federal subsidy.

There is no shortage of space here. One of the driving factors behind recycling programs in most places is to avoid opening of new landfills. Nevada doesn't really have that problem.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:

• The recycling trucks are constantly compacting, smashing the single-stream material together...
  • Recycling facility machines sometimes canít tell the difference between a flattened water bottle, a well-squashed tin can and a piece of paper...
  • And the machines canít un-grind glass shards from the fibers of a cardboard box or pick tiny bits of paper and plastic from piles of half-broken glass.

The issue is the trade-off: single-stream recycling means more volume because it is easy for the homeowner, but makes it hard at the recycling sorting facility.
Could be worse... In the DC area they were picking up the recycle bins and dumping them right in the trash truck.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 AM

8,792 posts, read 9,064,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Is that a republic services site? The requirements for recycling have varied in the different places I have lived.
Yes, which is appropriate as this thread is about Republic Services recycling and they service the city of Las Vegas.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 AM

8,792 posts, read 9,064,638 times
Quote:

It's starting to be suggested to throw your glass in the trash. It breaks and is an issue for the machines and injury to workers, and once it is broken up it can't be recycled anyway. Because it is made from natural materials, it will breakdown in the landfill unlike plastic. Plastic should always be recycled.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM

818 posts, read 1,166,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Republic services overcharges for trash service under a county granted monopoly. I suspect the only reason they went single stream was to reduce labor costs and make higher profits.

BINGO, this is what I've been saying for years. I was very disappointed that CC and the city of Las Vegas didn't put this out to bid at the last contract. I will be contacting CC commission and the LV city council well before the next contract is up and asking to put this out to competitive bid.

Even our local trash companies should have been given an opportunity to put in a bid. Republic services is overcharging, and with the ENTIRE Clark County (all municipalities within) monopoly they are abusing us tax payers.

Old Today, 04:55 AM

9,851 posts, read 5,841,254 times
republic is the most reasonable bill i pay every month. they come on christmas eve, christmas day, new years eve, new years day, thanksgiving day, whatever holiday, federal, local - put your trash out because they will come. i met our collector near christmas and gave him a $20.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

22 posts, read 5,431 times
Quote:
it just means that if you rinse a bottle out, for example, be sure all of the water is emptied before replacing the cap or tossing in the bin. And, don't throw in anything that still has liquid in it, like a plastic Coke bottle with pop still in it.
Ew I'm not an animal, of course I always rinse with water first and leave the caps off.

I thought it meant I had to dry them out before tossing them, and that's just not going to happen.

I wouldn't mind going back to the triple bin system, but like you said the new trucks have the arm for picking up the bins; however, a few neighbors have had their bins cracked by the arm and we just got the new bins a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to change the arm anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or