U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:23 PM

2,089 posts, read 2,803,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
What water engineer are you talking about?
Jason King

http://water.nv.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM

16,680 posts, read 20,365,933 times
This says it all: Water will always arise to $$$!

The multi-billion NAWAPA project may yet come to life in British Columbia. The project would entail a Lake Mead type lake 100 miles long. Environmental destruction, for sure. And there'd be enough water sent south to even irrigate northern Mexico. Perhaps when Canada stops sending oil south, they might turn to water instead.

As long as there's millionaires and billionaires in the SW I worry not about running out of water.

Often forgotten, northern Baja gets 1.5 million acre square feet of water every year, to keep Mexicali and Tijuana afloat. Before leaving Vegas, I had read we had bought some water from Mexico.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 PM

10,282 posts, read 8,714,118 times
So a state employee and gubernatorial appointee. Going back to what I said before, now that LV has complete control of state politics, how long is resistance to the LV raiding water resources in the north going to last. If this guy gives the southern power structure a fight, sooner or later he'll be replaced by someone who'll go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post

Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,564,887 times
Israel recycle their water at a little over 80%, Clark County, NV recycles around 94%. We are definitely doing it better.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:59 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,564,887 times
Get rid of all the trees and landscaping in the median, GET RID OF THE GRASS ON THE SIDEWALKS AND HOMES, Summerlin are you listening? You are in the Mojave Desert, one of the driest if not the driest desert in North America. Stop landscaping every inch of ground in your community. You are not in a tropical rainforest.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 776,521 times
I believe I read somewhere that there is discussion about allowing Lake Powell drain into Lake Mead and dismantling that dam. I am not a Nevada resident but visit thete often. The ranchers in the north that we have spoken with aren’t too enthused about their water heading south. Of course, politics is politics everywhere. Californians have proposed a pipeline from the Columbia River to meet their needs. That is not going to happen from what I have read due to Internationsl treaties with Canada. Btw, I agree with Clarkcty. You can import Washington, Oregon or back east landscaping practices into a desert.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:58 PM

122 posts, read 16,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Climate Change may be of help. An article in The Economist pointed out that in northern Russia and northern Alberta, farmers are enjoying a 2-3 week longer growing season, and if that continues, less need for agriculture in California.

Interstate trading of water rights is exceedingly complex.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:11 PM

11,398 posts, read 4,078,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So a state employee and gubernatorial appointee. Going back to what I said before, now that LV has complete control of state politics, how long is resistance to the LV raiding water resources in the north going to last. If this guy gives the southern power structure a fight, sooner or later he'll be replaced by someone who'll go along.
Actually I believe he is a Constitutional officer. Yes he can be removed but that place is all experienced Professional Engineers. Probably not a dozen guys in the state with the credentials to replace him.

The local guy here, also a PE, ended up in jail for messing with water rights.

I do not care for King much as he tends toward very conventional positions. And some of this stuff is not suited to that. The present stuff about domestic wells as a for instance. King is trying to treat them as if they are simply well permits with a permit date of when they were drilled. There is however nothing in the statute that allows that. The original thinking was anyone who owned a parcel had a right to drill a well for their domestic use. He is trying to do away with that and simply go with the permitted wells almost all of which were commercial and old. His position would result in vast areas in places like Pahrump being undevelope-able and valueless.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:14 PM

122 posts, read 16,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Get rid of all the trees and landscaping in the median, GET RID OF THE GRASS ON THE SIDEWALKS AND HOMES, Summerlin are you listening?

Summerlin is a drop in the bucket.

Southern California is where the water could be saved: a billion acre-feet here, a billion acre-feet there, and pretty soon you're talking real water volumes.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 PM

11,398 posts, read 4,078,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Get rid of all the trees and landscaping in the median, GET RID OF THE GRASS ON THE SIDEWALKS AND HOMES, Summerlin are you listening? You are in the Mojave Desert, one of the driest if not the driest desert in North America. Stop landscaping every inch of ground in your community. You are not in a tropical rainforest.
The front of my place is a half dozen 35 foot Mesquites who use very little water. The rest is low water plants on drip with the exception of about 500 SF of grass running through it. It is nice to look at and mostly very water efficient...there are over a hundred drip heads. I do have real lawns in the rear but that too is mostly dripped irrigated stuff. The rear also gets very little water outside of the high summer as it is Bermuda and we simply let it go dormant 6 months of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or