U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,337,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are incorrect. King turned down four permits because of a Federal Court decision. But he intends to appeal his denial as he claims it was forced by a ruling not in keeping with NV water law. The SNWA is also appealing. This all occurred in mid September and has not been resolved.

The cost of steel is not likely to be an issue. Just part of a very expensive project if it proceeds.

Some of this is very good stuff. Historically NV has ignored the actual capability of the aquifers to provide water. Pahrump is a fine example. Basically the State Engineer allowed the basin to be over allocated while the vast majority of the properties had no water source. He has now shut down the drilling of domestic wells which will almost certainly end up in the courts. If in no other way as a government taking. The value of a plot is virtually wiped out if there is no water. And it is not clear from the statutes that King has the ability to shut down domestic wells.
Ok, I was referring to the local Judge’s order for objective tests and you were referring to the recent decision by King to yank the permits. Seems to me that whoever the State Engineer is he or she is going to face the same problem that King faced: coming up with an objective test that protects the basin from being damaged while allowing SNWA to pump the basin dry. The problem is that the basin was filled by melt from the last couple of glacier melts and the recharge rate today is not very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:38 AM

https://thenevadaindependent.com/art...s-own-decision

Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,590,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I believe I read somewhere that there is discussion about allowing Lake Powell drain into Lake Mead and dismantling that dam. I am not a Nevada resident but visit thete often. The ranchers in the north that we have spoken with aren’t too enthused about their water heading south. Of course, politics is politics everywhere. Californians have proposed a pipeline from the Columbia River to meet their needs. That is not going to happen from what I have read due to Internationsl treaties with Canada. Btw, I agree with Clarkcty. You can import Washington, Oregon or back east landscaping practices into a desert.
Yes they don't like to share their water BUT they want OUR tax money in Clark County, NV. Majority of tax revenue in NV come from Clark County, NV.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 AM

16,753 posts, read 20,465,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Get rid of all the trees and landscaping in the median, GET RID OF THE GRASS ON THE SIDEWALKS AND HOMES, Summerlin are you listening? You are in the Mojave Desert, one of the driest if not the driest desert in North America. Stop landscaping every inch of ground in your community. You are not in a tropical rainforest.
I had a neighbor up the street from me in Las Vegas (East Central) who had a nice green front yard and here's what he had to say: I just moved here from Los Angeles and I'm going to have my green lawn no matter how much it costs!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Yes they don't like to share their water BUT they want OUR tax money in Clark County, NV. Majority of tax revenue in NV come from Clark County, NV.
Could be they pay their fair share of taxes per capita given the taxes paid by mining companies. Any way, Clark County will have to live within it’s current water supply without lusting over other counties’ water.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 AM

790 posts, read 536,700 times
As a kid in the 90's I remember going to Hoover Dam and seeing the lake completely full, overflowing. Doubt that will ever happen again.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Could be they pay their fair share of taxes per capita given the taxes paid by mining companies. Any way, Clark County will have to live within it’s current water supply without lusting over other counties’ water.
Not even close! We have over 2.3 million residents and over 40 million visitors paying taxes here in Clark County, NV and gaming contributes more than mining!

As far as water, Southern Nevada will need to conserve even more and use the precious water resource wisely because those people up North will fight long and hard NOT to share water.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I had a neighbor up the street from me in Las Vegas (East Central) who had a nice green front yard and here's what he had to say: I just moved here from Los Angeles and I'm going to have my green lawn no matter how much it costs!

Yes I believe it!

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 AM

@bayview6

Here is a good read from the Nevada Dept. of Taxation
State of Nevada - Department of Taxation

Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM

A news article posted today regarding taxes in the state.
Vegas Inc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or