U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 AM

13,612 posts, read 9,925,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Yes they don't like to share their water BUT they want OUR tax money in Clark County, NV. Majority of tax revenue in NV come from Clark County, NV.

Correct. And many of the mines up north are foreign owned, so I donít know how the taxes work in that situation. Mining leaves a lot of environmental damage. Iíd be taxing the foreign owners very heavily if I was in charge because the cleanup is going to cost Nevada plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 PM

27,525 posts, read 38,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Correct. And many of the mines up north are foreign owned, so I donít know how the taxes work in that situation. Mining leaves a lot of environmental damage. Iíd be taxing the foreign owners very heavily if I was in charge because the cleanup is going to cost Nevada plenty.
Requires intelligent politicians. Oxymoron.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,340,588 times
Taxes generated by Clark County business activities have zero to do with transferring water from northern counties to Clark County.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,600,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Taxes generated by Clark County business activities have zero to do with transferring water from northern counties to Clark County.

Infrastructure spending, healthcare, law and order, education, pension........ incurred up in Northern and Central Nevada...........funds come from Southern Nevada. We pay 3/4 of the taxes generated in the state. The argument presented earlier, they don't mind taking our tax dollars in Southern Nevada but when it comes to sharing what they have, it's a no go.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM

White Pine County gets about $8 million a year from Clark County. The attitude of the residents of White Pine County is that Clark County can keep its measley $8 million and White Pine County will keep is water.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 PM

541 posts, read 200,220 times
I'm a pretty firm believer that if/when water becomes an issue here, there is simply too much money tied up here to let the area go to waste. Something will be done to keep the water flowing and the cash coming in.

Even if water stops passing the dam, Las Vegas will still be getting its own water from the lake, there just won't be anything running down stream. I read the water study and with the 3rd straw put in, we're good for at a minimum the next 25 years, if not longer. We also have an aquifer we can pump... we just primarily don't except for in the deep summer, to my understanding.

I haven't checked lake levels in a while, but the last time I checked an interesting thing they are not telling you is that the 2 upstream dams are(were) full to capacity. They are not letting all of the water flow downstream into Lake Mead like they used to, therefore, Lake Mead is depleting. However, last I checked, the lake level was actually higher than it was at the same time a few years ago.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
White Pine County gets about $8 million a year from Clark County. The attitude of the residents of White Pine County is that Clark County can keep its measley $8 million and White Pine County will keep is water.

Send back all the funds and stop collecting then, see how fast those places turn into ghost towns with the lack of support from our tax money.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I'm a pretty firm believer that if/when water becomes an issue here, there is simply too much money tied up here to let the area go to waste. Something will be done to keep the water flowing and the cash coming in.

Even if water stops passing the dam, Las Vegas will still be getting its own water from the lake, there just won't be anything running down stream. I read the water study and with the 3rd straw put in, we're good for at a minimum the next 25 years, if not longer. We also have an aquifer we can pump... we just primarily don't except for in the deep summer, to my understanding.

I haven't checked lake levels in a while, but the last time I checked an interesting thing they are not telling you is that the 2 upstream dams are(were) full to capacity. They are not letting all of the water flow downstream into Lake Mead like they used to, therefore, Lake Mead is depleting. However, last I checked, the lake level was actually higher than it was at the same time a few years ago.
Yeah that third straw, its like a sink drain we'll have access to the last drop at Lake Mead, hahahaha and when that time comes, it's civil war.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Send back all the funds and stop collecting then, see how fast those places turn into ghost towns with the lack of support from our tax money.
White Pine County doesnít really need that $8 million but the main point is this: the tax money doesnít belong to Clark County, it belongs to the State of Nevada.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah that third straw, its like a sink drain we'll have access to the last drop at Lake Mead, hahahaha and when that time comes, it's civil war.
Lake Mead isnít going dry anytime soon. As far as I can tell, Clark County will always be able to access itís allocation of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or