U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
 
6,072 posts, read 6,282,440 times
Reputation: 2748

Advertisements

Most important is the job market. Also trying to scare away investors is a good idea, so locals can reap more.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM
 
731 posts, read 285,614 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Those high taxes did nothing but get the wealthy to lobby the government to create loopholes.
NO ONE paid anywhere near 86% tax ever.
I believe the highest tax bracket, at one point in history, was 90%, and yes, they did pay this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
- they make less money for longer hours
They take crappy jobs because they chose a crappy degree
They take crappy jobs because thats all that is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
- have to pay more for food and shelter
Thanks to government regulations
Which regulations? NAFTA signed in by a boomer president? I'm unaware of any food regulations that have changed in the past 15 years that would have caused the price of food to increase. Same goes for shelter - which housing regulations caused rents to double over the same time period?

My last rental increased from $1125/mth to $1477/mth over the course of 4 years, but the unit and complex I was in didn't change at all. The complex was simply raising rates "because they could."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
- have a job market that is largely service based with an unlivable wage
Median wage is 60 grand with hundreds of thousands of 6 figure jobs available and the lowest unemployment we've had in a long time. Only people making an "unlivable" wage are idiots that are too stupid or too lazy to get in demand skills.
I would like to see a reference for "hundreds of thousands of 6 figure jobs." I'm calling shenanigans on that one. Unemployment is far higher than the current rate will have you believe. Remember, when '08 hit they decided to change the way they calculated this number, dropping those who were unemployed for longer than 2 years from the calculation.

I disagree that people making an unlivable wage are all stupid and lazy. I personally knew of several people who had degrees, even marketable ones, that were unable to find employment in their industry and ended up taking jobs at Starbucks and Wal-Mart, or some other job that wasn't even in their skill area, just so they could pay the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
- rising education costs
30% of jobs require no education. Community college is free to most low income people thanks to grants. Even without a grant it's affordable. People just need to quit going to Harvard to get a degree in interpretive dance theory.


This is ridiculous. Virtually nobody getting an interpretive dance theory degree is going to Harvard. Virtually nobody is even going to Harvard at all, in the grand scheme of things. You make it sound like just anyone could apply and get into Harvard. Community colleges are a whole different ballgame, and yes, anyone who want to pay can go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Oh and It was Bill Clinton that gave rise to 6 companies owning all of our media with his 1996 telecommunications act.
You mean, another Boomer?

Bill Clinton: Boomer
George W. Bush: Boomer
Barack Obama: Boomer
Donald Trump: Boomer
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 09:30 PM
 
731 posts, read 285,614 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Those people can sue the people who lied and said it was renovated when it wasn't. There is legal recourse even though they didn't do their due diligence.
Actually, the home appeared fully renovated when it was sold. It wasn't until a sink was removed that the underlying problem was discovered. However, the problem was so extensive, its hard to believe that the flipper who "renovated" the house didn't know about it.

The buyers in question did everything you said, including having an inspection. Home inspectors don't(can't) go around poking holes in walls unless there is reason to believe there is something going on inside them.

This seller did to these homeowners exactly what I referenced earlier in the thread: slapped a coat of paint on the house and then sold it off.

Do you find this business practice to be ethical? Is it simply all the buyers' fault for not opening all the walls up before buying the place? You know, there is a legal concept in sale of property called "fitness for a particular purpose."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 PM
 
731 posts, read 285,614 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Explain what? An idiot got a degree in puppets and found out there's no jobs for puppets? What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that no college or university should be offering a degree in "puppetry" to begin with. The point being made is that there is no knowledge or skills necessary to operate a puppet that would require a degree to learn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,078 posts, read 5,144,138 times
Reputation: 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Actually, the home appeared fully renovated when it was sold. It wasn't until a sink was removed that the underlying problem was discovered. However, the problem was so extensive, its hard to believe that the flipper who "renovated" the house didn't know about it.

The buyers in question did everything you said, including having an inspection. Home inspectors don't(can't) go around poking holes in walls unless there is reason to believe there is something going on inside them.

This seller did to these homeowners exactly what I referenced earlier in the thread: slapped a coat of paint on the house and then sold it off.

Do you find this business practice to be ethical? Is it simply all the buyers' fault for not opening all the walls up before buying the place? You know, there is a legal concept in sale of property called "fitness for a particular purpose."

I'll get to the other post later.

As I mentioned there's legal recourse for fraud. They were sold a renovated house and got a mold infested house. They got an inspection. Not a mold inspection, but still. They can go after the seller.

It is NOT the same scenario as a degree. I've never once seen any college advertise "Take our art history class and we guarantee you a job."

If they did I would be in agreeance with you that it's a scam. But they don't do that.



And to the other post. I know Harvard doesn't offer BS degree like that. The point was NOT the college itself. The point was a crap degree choice is a crap degree choice. Don't want a crap degree, choose one that isn't crap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,664 posts, read 2,930,249 times
Reputation: 4736
Another reason a lot of millennials and Get Xr's got screwed by the Boomers was the Boomers allowing foreign investors to come in and manipulate the housing market.

It worked out well for Boomers who inherited their homes, or who got them from government-backed GI loans or housing initiatives. Once the Boomers had these houses, they sat on them and then relaxed the rules to let Chinese and Saudi investors come in and buy up distressed housing stock. Those investors, of course, drove up the value of housing and who won when they cashed out?

Not the Gen Xr's in middle management, or the millennials. No Sir!

It was the Boomers!

-----------------------

As far as "crap" degrees are concerned, who came up with them? Who marketed them?

Clue: it's not the Gen Xr's or the millennials who are currently running most colleges and universities! At present, it is also the Boomers who control all of the media and financial institutions in the U.S.

The sheer greed and manipulation of the Baby Boomer generation is disgusting.

This is why, in survey after survey, millennials and Gen Z beneath them, have such a favorable view of socialism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM
 
731 posts, read 285,614 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
As I mentioned there's legal recourse for fraud. They were sold a renovated house and got a mold infested house. They got an inspection. Not a mold inspection, but still. They can go after the seller.
If you watched the news segment, you'll see that the seller had installed new drywall directly onto moldy and rotten wood. This was apparent, because all of the screws and the drywall itself was obviously new.

Its quite interesting to me that you agree that selling someone a moldy, rotten, worthless house is fraudulent, but selling someone a worthless degree is A-OK.

You seem to be trying to make the argument that people would still be getting degrees without employment as a driver. I strongly disagree with this. I think that if no jobs required a college degree, most would not spend the money to get one. You really only have to look back to the 1970's to see what I am talking about. Most jobs did not require a degree then, and most people did not have one. Nowadays, they want you to have a Bachelors just to be an "Administrative Assistant."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,078 posts, read 5,144,138 times
Reputation: 6691
You're not paying for a job though. You're paying for the piece of paper, knowledge, and or skill.


I paid to take the postal exam 10 years ago. I didn't end up working for the post office. Was it a scam? No. I got what I paid for. A piece of paper saying I was qualified to work for the post office.


This is really not a hard concept to understand.

College sells a product. What you do with that product is not up to anyone but you.
As long as the product does what is promised, which is NOT a job, it's not fraud or a scam.

People buy useless crap every day. The dude who made the hillbilly teeth is a multimillionaire because millions of people bought his useless product. Was that a scam?
Absolutely not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,664 posts, read 2,930,249 times
Reputation: 4736
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Its quite interesting to me that you agree that selling someone a moldy, rotten, worthless house is fraudulent, but selling someone a worthless degree is A-OK.

You seem to be trying to make the argument that people would still be getting degrees without employment as a driver. I strongly disagree with this. I think that if no jobs required a college degree, most would not spend the money to get one.

You really only have to look back to the 1970's to see what I am talking about. Most jobs did not require a degree then, and most people did not have one. Nowadays, they want you to have a Bachelors just to be an "Administrative Assistant."

And, which generation was coming of age and entering the workplace in the 1970s?

That's right, the Boomers!

Same people who commandeer all of the colleges and universities. Same people who pushed "get a degree" when many of them never had to get one themselves.

The millennials were force-fed the idea from Elementary school to High School that to amount to anything, you had to have a degree in something, so they ran out and got them. Now, you have a generation with a glut of college degrees and a lack of job supply.

But...who got rich and better off during the time from the 1990s til now? Sure as hell wasn't millennials and very, very few Gen Xrs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM
 
5,311 posts, read 5,804,573 times
Reputation: 5894
You’re also missing the fact that anyone trying to find “a job” is someone who isn’t generating money themselves and is begging for someone else to pay them money, then complaining that it’s not enough. If it’s not enough you’re more than welcome to start your own business and keep all of the profits. You may find it’s not so easy, though. The sheer stupidity, the incredibly low IQ and lack of economic knowledge it would take to complain about “wages not being enough” in a free market is mind boggling. I’m a business owner and I’d love to pay $20/hour for videography but I can’t because other companies pay way more so I am forced to pay $75-100/hour. Market rate.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top