U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2019, 06:23 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,185 posts, read 5,217,531 times
Reputation: 6863

Advertisements

The problem with your assessment is this, people who go for IN DEMAND career paths find employment.
The other problem is the fact that plenty of younger people are doing just fine. I know kids under 25 with 300k cars, a house, and money to burn with poor parents.


And conversely there's boomers out there eating cat food that can barely pay their bills. Bad choices affect everyone.

Evidence.
Lottery winners, more often than not, end up poor.
The top 10% flucuates wildly because the rich become poor on a daily basis and the poor become rich on a daily basis. It's all down to choices. Stop blaming others.
There's no one holding a gun to your head telling you to make bad choices.
Make good choices and good stuff happens. Stop being a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,185 posts, read 5,217,531 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You’re also missing the fact that anyone trying to find “a job” is someone who isn’t generating money themselves and is begging for someone else to pay them money, then complaining that it’s not enough. If it’s not enough you’re more than welcome to start your own business and keep all of the profits. You may find it’s not so easy, though. The sheer stupidity, the incredibly low IQ and lack of economic knowledge it would take to complain about “wages not being enough” in a free market is mind boggling. I’m a business owner and I’d love to pay $20/hour for videography but I can’t because other companies pay way more so I am forced to pay $75-100/hour. Market rate.



Opening a business is so eye opening everyone needs to do it once.
Once you start running the numbers and being on the hook for all the costs involved, you instantly become libertarian.

I make so many deposits I feel like a drug dealer. But after costs it's really not all the much.

I'll use last week as an example.
I deposited 6,789 dollars.
After expenses I had 1800 left over. After my bills I had 600. After putting back for taxes I had 300.
From almost 7 grand to 300.
So if someone looks at my deposits, they'd think I was making 7k a week and rolling in the dough.
But realistically I'm spending most of that on just living and running the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM
 
Location: California
241 posts, read 78,340 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You’re also missing the fact that anyone trying to find “a job” is someone who isn’t generating money themselves and is begging for someone else to pay them money, then complaining that it’s not enough. If it’s not enough you’re more than welcome to start your own business and keep all of the profits. You may find it’s not so easy, though. The sheer stupidity, the incredibly low IQ and lack of economic knowledge it would take to complain about “wages not being enough” in a free market is mind boggling. I’m a business owner and I’d love to pay $20/hour for videography but I can’t because other companies pay way more so I am forced to pay $75-100/hour. Market rate.
First off many industries are not free markets. Secondly, not everyone has access to capital, mentorship, and education which makes opening a business much more difficult, and lastly you’re giving business too much credit. For instance, Amazon is in the news for bad worker conditions and low wages but they have taken over 1.6 billion in taxcuts...that’s money not going to schools in many cities across the US. Tesla is another example where Nevada gave them a 1.3 billion dollar tax cut! All y’all come on here and ***** about how underfunded Clark County School District where look at where millions of its funding is going. You’re a mental slave to the upper class because you think they are more capable than you when the reality is that they have rigged the system so that they always come out the winner. Elizabeth Holmes is a shining example of how having connections can have you crowned the latest greatest “self made” billion without even having knowledge of what you’re doing or a viable and sustainable business model. And before you start spouting nonsensical I’ge bootstrapped several start ups and raised money to get myself into real estate investment with my first property in Henderson. MLK hit the nail on the head when he stated there are two America’s and it’s even truer now than when he spoke those truthful words. The upper class in this society are not working harder than Amazon warehouse employees and they are not necesarily smarter either. You are riding neocon talking points straight to the bottom of the barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,185 posts, read 5,217,531 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
First off many industries are not free markets. Secondly, not everyone has access to capital, mentorship, and education which makes opening a business much more difficult, and lastly you’re giving business too much credit. For instance, Amazon is in the news for bad worker conditions and low wages but they have taken over 1.6 billion in taxcuts...that’s money not going to schools in many cities across the US. Tesla is another example where Nevada gave them a 1.3 billion dollar tax cut! All y’all come on here and ***** about how underfunded Clark County School District where look at where millions of its funding is going. You’re a mental slave to the upper class because you think they are more capable than you when the reality is that they have rigged the system so that they always come out the winner. Elizabeth Holmes is a shining example of how having connections can have you crowned the latest greatest “self made” billion without even having knowledge of what you’re doing or a viable and sustainable business model. And before you start spouting nonsensical I’ge bootstrapped several start ups and raised money to get myself into real estate investment with my first property in Henderson. MLK hit the nail on the head when he stated there are two America’s and it’s even truer now than when he spoke those truthful words. The upper class in this society are not working harder than Amazon warehouse employees and they are not necesarily smarter either. You are riding neocon talking points straight to the bottom of the barrel.



Perpetual victim alert.


Don't worry, man, nothing is your fault. You're not responsible for anything. Want mama to get you a baba? A blankie? You need to be burped? Need me to keep you safe from the big bad Jeff Bezos?



Seriously, dude, grow up. What are YOU doing to make your life better?


We spend 8,800 a year on each student already. The best schools in the country are spending a little bit more but they're all producing idiots anyway.
There's no amount of money that's going to make our education good. The problem isn't money. It's the garbage we "teach" the kids. Memorization of useless crap does not an intelligent person make. All it does is churn people without the ability to critically think, hence your posts. With teacher's unions fighting any and all changes and protecting crap teachers, no amount of money is going to change it.


Plenty of businesses can be started with no money or very little money.
I have 500 worth of tools, my business license was free up to 27,000 dollars in income. Once I clear 27k I pay 200 bucks for the license. County license is 25 bucks. Insurance is 100 bucks a month.
I've had the tools for years and collected them over many years. So my only up front cost was 125. I made that back in the first hour of business.

Median pay at Amazon is 13.50 an hour. Everyone I know that has worked for Amazon makes more than that. I don't think I've met a single worker that makes less than 18 an hour.
Every single one of them love their jobs. Amazon has 616,000 employees.
That means Amazon is spending 17,297,280,000 a year in wages not even counting the payroll taxes and other tax contributions Amazon has to match.
That is 17 BILLION dollars into the economy. On top of the direct workers, there's the sellers that are making money on Amazon. Some of these guys are making 30k a month in sales and there's a lot of them.
Amazon is contributing 10s of billions of dollars to the economy.


What are you contributing to the economy? My guess is less than 30k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:46 PM
 
Location: 130 Miles E of Sacramento
5,466 posts, read 3,303,423 times
Reputation: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Why?
More traffic.
More liberal laws and bs.
More crowding.
Higher costs.

I've been telling everyone from out of town how awful vegas is.
I've been trying to tell people how awful Nevada is, to discourage people from moving. But people still keep coming, and that's how we get loons like Steve Sisolak and Jacky Rosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 AM
 
764 posts, read 303,062 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I paid to take the postal exam 10 years ago. I didn't end up working for the post office. Was it a scam? No. I got what I paid for. A piece of paper saying I was qualified to work for the post office.
Huge difference - the Civil Service Exam is actually a marketable achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
College sells a product. What you do with that product is not up to anyone but you.
As long as the product does what is promised, which is NOT a job, it's not fraud or a scam.
I don't view education as a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
People buy useless crap every day. The dude who made the hillbilly teeth is a multimillionaire because millions of people bought his useless product. Was that a scam?
Absolutely not.
I doubt hillbilly teeth seller marketed his product as a way to get a well paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:15 AM
 
764 posts, read 303,062 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You’re also missing the fact that anyone trying to find “a job” is someone who isn’t generating money themselves and is begging for someone else to pay them money, then complaining that it’s not enough. If it’s not enough you’re more than welcome to start your own business and keep all of the profits. You may find it’s not so easy, though. The sheer stupidity, the incredibly low IQ and lack of economic knowledge it would take to complain about “wages not being enough” in a free market is mind boggling. I’m a business owner and I’d love to pay $20/hour for videography but I can’t because other companies pay way more so I am forced to pay $75-100/hour. Market rate.
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that wages have remained flat for 30 years while everything else has gone up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,185 posts, read 5,217,531 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Huge difference - the Civil Service Exam is actually a marketable achievement.



I don't view education as a product.



I doubt hillbilly teeth seller marketed his product as a way to get a well paying job.


Is it? I didn't get a job with it?

Well, you're wrong.

He didn't and neither do colleges.

Here is the very first college ad I saw on youtube when I searched.
They are marketing education and experience. NOT a job.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMpWiGL8D8





Y'all think forehead tattoo is gonna be gainfully employed or is she going to be whining on a forum in 5 years about how she can't get a job and those damn boomers screwed her out of a future when really she made herself unemployable with face tattoos.









And here is Harvard. Nothing in there is promising a job.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYAHkql75qM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
 
764 posts, read 303,062 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
The problem with your assessment is this, people who go for IN DEMAND career paths find employment.
The other problem is the fact that plenty of younger people are doing just fine. I know kids under 25 with 300k cars, a house, and money to burn with poor parents.


And conversely there's boomers out there eating cat food that can barely pay their bills. Bad choices affect everyone.

Evidence.
Lottery winners, more often than not, end up poor.
The top 10% flucuates wildly because the rich become poor on a daily basis and the poor become rich on a daily basis. It's all down to choices. Stop blaming others.
There's no one holding a gun to your head telling you to make bad choices.
Make good choices and good stuff happens. Stop being a victim.
People are getting worthless degrees because they are forced to have some degree just to get past the job application. Even low level menial task labor jobs outside of retail and services require a degree now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
 
2,513 posts, read 535,916 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
And conversely there's boomers out there eating cat food that can barely pay their bills. Bad choices affect everyone.
Ah, the old cat food myth! Seriously...cat food is FAR more expensive than people food...all it takes is simple logic to know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top