Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM

241 posts, read 143,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
I was offered a great job there but declined it because all the apartments reviews on google mentioned crime (and I mean ALL the reviews, which I'd never seen before and I've lived in crime-happy Florida). I was looking in the 1k-1500k per month range in Henderson/Vegas. Now I wonder...
You gotta be careful with apartment reviews online, I have yet to find one with a good rating. The one I live in right now in is gorgeous with lush landscaping, two pools, a gym, like 7 community grills, a club house, a courtyard, parking, and more and has a 2 star rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Both my wife and I (who is an RN at Dignity St. Rose) have received nothing but excellent and thorough health care since we've been here. I had heard that health care was not that good here, but I've not found that to be the case.

It's not just us, either. I've had two friends that needed bypass surgery and another one that was severely injured from falling off a ladder, and all of them got excellent care as well.

I'm not suggesting that no one has ever gotten lousy care here, but that exists everywhere. Our experiences and those of our friends have all been very positive.

It seems to me that some people just make lousy choices and are probably the same ones that move to high-crime neighborhoods and then complain about the entire valley being like that.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 106,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Both my wife and I (who is an RN at Dignity St. Rose) have received nothing but excellent and thorough health care since we've been here. I had heard that health care was not that good here, but I've not found that to be the case.

It's not just us, either. I've had two friends that needed bypass surgery and another one that was severely injured from falling off a ladder, and all of them got excellent care as well.

I'm not suggesting that no one has ever gotten lousy care here, but that exists everywhere. Our experiences and those of our friends have all been very positive.

It seems to me that some people just make lousy choices and are probably the same ones that move to high-crime neighborhoods and then complain about the entire valley being like that.
I'm not sure the opinions on local healthcare revolve around actual treatment as much as access to care. I work for a large insurance company having transferred here from NYC last February. When looking for a new primary care provider, I was warned by co-workers that the shortage of medical professionals and surplus of patients can mean waiting weeks and months for appointments. My first experience trying to establish care with a physician showed that to be true for me at least.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
We have experienced some health care problems, but noting major. I think part of the attitude towards health care here is engendered by those of us who moved from out of state. The way it's set up here is stupid. There is no other word. Stupid.

Before coming here 99% of what I needed done was in one building. Not a hospital. The hospital was across the street. Doctors for pretty much everything. MRI, X-ray, CAT scan, hearing aids, CPAP, lab work, etc. I walked from my doctors office across the hall for pulmonary. One floor up for hearing aids. Down the hall 100 feet for lab work. The door right next to his office for X-rays. Two doors down for CPAP. Upstairs for scans. And it was close enough that I could walk there.

Here you might find doctors in a single building, but as soon as you need a scan, CPAP, hearing aids, etc you're going somewhere else. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

As for doctors I've dropped a couple. When a doctor doesn't listen or tell me what I just said can't happen it's time to find one that does listen. Dropped one for that. Dropped a second because I felt his services were no longer needed. I have the heart of a bull (quote from one of his colleagues). No need to continue seeing a doctor for it. My current doctor is amazing. Hers has cut back hours so she's looking for a new one. My Pulmonologist is great. Stays on top of everything.

Hospitals: I had an angiogram at Mountain View. Excellent care. The food offered after the procedure was on a menu like a restaurant and was the best I've ever eaten in a hospital hands down. The after surgery nurse was a hoot. Even brought my wife food and drink while she was waiting for me to come out of surgery. The doctor that did the procedure came out to where she was waiting immediately after and told my wife everything was great with my heart (A bull I tell ya, a bull!)

My wife cut her hand soon after we moved here and we had no idea re hospitals. We had Google take us to the closest. Summerlin emergency. The did an excellent job. Got her in quickly. Cleaned the wound, sewed up her hand, and gave her everything needed to take care of it.

She also had a problem this year with her neck hurting so much she went to an emergency room at Southern Hills. They got her in quickly and the attending doctor was amazing. Great personality and after checking her neck explained exactly what was going on with it and gave her the required meds.

The key is due diligence. My wife is one that did the searching for doctors. She went as far as asking about accents when the doctor had a foreign sounding name. I have hearing loss and can't understand people with accents. You know places like India, France, Texas, Boston. She did a ton of research and did a fantastic job.

We never had to wait months to get in. We recommended a friend to my current doctor and he got in right away. This while their office is in the middle of moving and adding more doctors.

It's up to you to find the right doctors here. Where we moved from the odds of finding a good one without going through all the research was very high. Bad doctors didn't seem to last long there.

But that's another story...

Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 PM

241 posts, read 143,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have experienced some health care problems, but noting major. I think part of the attitude towards health care here is engendered by those of us who moved from out of state. The way it's set up here is stupid. There is no other word. Stupid.

Before coming here 99% of what I needed done was in one building. Not a hospital. The hospital was across the street. Doctors for pretty much everything. MRI, X-ray, CAT scan, hearing aids, CPAP, lab work, etc. I walked from my doctors office across the hall for pulmonary. One floor up for hearing aids. Down the hall 100 feet for lab work. The door right next to his office for X-rays. Two doors down for CPAP. Upstairs for scans. And it was close enough that I could walk there.

Here you might find doctors in a single building, but as soon as you need a scan, CPAP, hearing aids, etc you're going somewhere else. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

As for doctors I've dropped a couple. When a doctor doesn't listen or tell me what I just said can't happen it's time to find one that does listen. Dropped one for that. Dropped a second because I felt his services were no longer needed. I have the heart of a bull (quote from one of his colleagues). No need to continue seeing a doctor for it. My current doctor is amazing. Hers has cut back hours so she's looking for a new one. My Pulmonologist is great. Stays on top of everything.

Hospitals: I had an angiogram at Mountain View. Excellent care. The food offered after the procedure was on a menu like a restaurant and was the best I've ever eaten in a hospital hands down. The after surgery nurse was a hoot. Even brought my wife food and drink while she was waiting for me to come out of surgery. The doctor that did the procedure came out to where she was waiting immediately after and told my wife everything was great with my heart (A bull I tell ya, a bull!)

My wife cut her hand soon after we moved here and we had no idea re hospitals. We had Google take us to the closest. Summerlin emergency. The did an excellent job. Got her in quickly. Cleaned the wound, sewed up her hand, and gave her everything needed to take care of it.

She also had a problem this year with her neck hurting so much she went to an emergency room at Southern Hills. They got her in quickly and the attending doctor was amazing. Great personality and after checking her neck explained exactly what was going on with it and gave her the required meds.

The key is due diligence. My wife is one that did the searching for doctors. She went as far as asking about accents when the doctor had a foreign sounding name. I have hearing loss and can't understand people with accents. You know places like India, France, Texas, Boston. She did a ton of research and did a fantastic job.

We never had to wait months to get in. We recommended a friend to my current doctor and he got in right away. This while their office is in the middle of moving and adding more doctors.

It's up to you to find the right doctors here. Where we moved from the odds of finding a good one without going through all the research was very high. Bad doctors didn't seem to last long there.

But that's another story...
Did you move from an HMO to PPO because that’s what the first gripe sounds likes.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:46 PM

265 posts, read 204,607 times
I am 100 percent convinced that the majority of the apartment listings are from disgruntled people, the competition or people who don't want more people moving here.

Take the majority of the reviews on apartment listings here with a grain of salt unless it is in a bad area of town. You really have to judge communities for yourself to be sure.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
The last apartment I was in had good reviews. Someone got shot and left in the pool shortly after I moved out. So....

Old 01-01-2019, 04:22 PM

628 posts, read 397,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
I am 100 percent convinced that the majority of the apartment listings are from disgruntled people, the competition or people who don't want more people moving here.

Take the majority of the reviews on apartment listings here with a grain of salt unless it is in a bad area of town. You really have to judge communities for yourself to be sure.
I was similarly dissuaded. Your point is correct since people don't tend to leave reviews when they are happy.

Those reviews are a big reason why I live with roommates in a relatively new property instead of having my own place which I can certainly afford. The thought of roaches turns my stomach.

Honestly it was more the bug stories than the accounts of crime for me.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:43 PM

265 posts, read 204,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I was similarly dissuaded. Your point is correct since people don't tend to leave reviews when they are happy.

Those reviews are a big reason why I live with roommates in a relatively new property instead of having my own place which I can certainly afford. The thought of roaches turns my stomach.

Honestly it was more the bug stories than the accounts of crime for me.
I've had something stolen off my front door here in a gated community I no longer live in. But other than that, I am satisfied.

I've been here around 2 years, but just haven't witnessed any major crime yet. I also secured my home well though I own now.

I think sometimes people are paranoid here, but are you flashing you have wealth, drive an expensive car, etc? All those things factor in.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Drawbridge mentality. Happened in Portland. Is starting to happen here.
Portland is a completely terrible city, so if someone in Portland like me is honest about that it’s not to keep you away. Your brain would have to be broken to do an analysis and conclude Portland is a good place to live. When you have the 2nd highest income tax in the country, a large property tax in Portland proper, high cost of living, some of the worst weather in the country (almost never sunny, rains 9 months of the year), and a boring, sleepy town where you’re hard pressed to get food after 9 even on a Friday, then you add in crushingly bad traffic (9th worst in the country), extreme liberal politics (meaning they refuse to deal with the homeless, protests are constant downtown, etc.), and no entertainment or nightlife, what’s to like?!? Anyone who says Portland is a good city is 100% clueless.

Every local I talked to in Vegas - which was more than 20 - loved it there. They were all so friendly and nice. The only one who wishes he was elsewhere came from Hawaii - paradise lol - and missed home but the high cost of living in Hawaii forced him out to Vegas, which he liked because it’s affordable for him and his family but he yearned to return to Hawaii when he finishes raising his kids. Understandable, I love Hawaii too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas