U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2019, 12:27 AM
 
731 posts, read 288,365 times
Reputation: 417

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Are you saying that Boomers are making millennials get an interpretive dance theory degree?
Because last I checked, you CHOOSE what you go to school for.

My mom is a boomer. She wanted me to go to college, but she pushed me to go for something that actually pays. I made the choice not to go (at least after high school. Went for accounting when I was 29)
I went on a grant, incurred no debt, and didn't ruin my life with it.

I know so many people that went for BS degrees like art history because they liked art. They make minimum wage because there's exactly 2 art history jobs in the entire world.

I lived that millenial life until very recently. I thought I was owed something. I came out here with no skills and struggled. I kept blaming this or that when it was just my life choices that did it.
A few smart people gave me some good advice and I followed it. Turned my life around. I'm not rich but I'm on my way. I haven't had a w2 in over 2 years. Been working for myself and making more than ever. All because I picked up a skill that was in demand. Welding.

I'm saying that Boomers have been selling Millennials worthless degrees. Where I come from, selling someone something obviously valueless at best makes them a crook, and at worst is outright fraud. Which category do you think a 100K student loan for a worthless degree falls in? Just crooks or outright fraudsters?

Take a look at the "Green New Deal" the Dems have just put on the table. You're saying Dems in the House are primarily Millennials? Read a bit of it. It's basically a rewrite of the Communist Manifesto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 AM
 
1,293 posts, read 1,989,552 times
Reputation: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I'm saying that Boomers have been selling Millennials worthless degrees. Where I come from, selling someone something obviously valueless at best makes them a crook, and at worst is outright fraud. Which category do you think a 100K student loan for a worthless degree falls in? Just crooks or outright fraudsters?

Take a look at the "Green New Deal" the Dems have just put on the table. You're saying Dems in the House are primarily Millennials? Read a bit of it. It's basically a rewrite of the Communist Manifesto.
They sell 100K student loans because there is a market demand for it. Some people can't find good jobs because they lack the skills, so they turn to these loans. I know people in there 50s and are still making payments to their student loans. No they are not MDs or JDs, they are non-technical majors (liberal arts, history, philosophy...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,098 posts, read 5,155,498 times
Reputation: 6718
Here's how to look at it.

A lot of stores offer a lot of crap. You walk into the store voluntarily. You choose what products to buy and what ones not to buy. No one is making you buy anything. The choice is yours and yours alone.
The only time you can blame someone else is when the product you bought is defective.
A degree in dance theory history absolutely teaches you about dance theory history. You got exactly what you paid for.
There's no crooking involved. It's not defective. A degree makes no employment promises.
It's your personal responsibility to take your life by the horns and wrestle it back into the chute, in such a manner that it does nothing but whimper in the corner, afraid to do anything you haven't commanded.


Crazy Eyes McThree Names is one of the dumbest people I've ever seen. If she has a 2 digit IQ I would be amazed.
She doesn't even know the branches of the government. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that she exemplifies and champions the most destructive economic model on planet Earth. A plan so demonstrably destined to fail, taking with it a few dozen million people, can only be presented by the too stupid, too proud, and too confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM
 
731 posts, read 288,365 times
Reputation: 417
Unless your plan is to work in retail all your life, you really have no choice but to go to a trade school or get one of those useless degrees. There are no more manufacturing jobs for the middle class to take and the illegals have mostly taken all the other blue collar jobs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,098 posts, read 5,155,498 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Unless your plan is to work in retail all your life, you really have no choice but to go to a trade school or get one of those useless degrees. There are no more manufacturing jobs for the middle class to take and the illegals have mostly taken all the other blue collar jobs as well.

LMAO. Number 1, you don't need a useless degree. Engineering pays well and there's lots of demand.
Lawyers, doctors, LPN, RN, actuary, programming, anesthesiology, marketing, financial advisor, pharmacist, and so many other medical ones it's not even funny. If you take a useless degree you're an idiot point blank.

And then we have all the good jobs with no degree required.

Programming, air traffic controller, welder, fabricator, mechanic, claims adjuster, insurance sales, operations tech, web developer, post office, lineman, nuclear tech, pilot, military, and so on and so forth. There is absolutely no excuse to be poor in America right now. There's so many 30-100k jobs out there right now.
People need to stop going after bs and go after actual jobs that exist and pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM
 
731 posts, read 288,365 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
LMAO. Number 1, you don't need a useless degree. Engineering pays well and there's lots of demand.
Lawyers, doctors, LPN, RN, actuary, programming, anesthesiology, marketing, financial advisor, pharmacist, and so many other medical ones it's not even funny. If you take a useless degree you're an idiot point blank.

And then we have all the good jobs with no degree required.

Programming, air traffic controller, welder, fabricator, mechanic, claims adjuster, insurance sales, operations tech, web developer, post office, lineman, nuclear tech, pilot, military, and so on and so forth. There is absolutely no excuse to be poor in America right now. There's so many 30-100k jobs out there right now.
People need to stop going after bs and go after actual jobs that exist and pay.
So you agree with me, you either need the $100K degree or a trade school? Many with the skilled degree now need to continue schooling for a Master's or Doctorate because the market is so saturated with Bachelor's degrees they've become valueless and in order to make enough to pay off those student loans the students require more schooling to be marketable at higher wages.

You still keep dodging the question... Who is it that is running this scam? Are you saying it's the Millennials? Are the perpetrators just crooks, or are they fraudsters? It seems you agree that a large number of the degrees being sold are worthless...

If I slapped a coat of paint on a $100K condo full of mold and sold it to you, would you consider this to be an ethical business practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,664 posts, read 2,938,467 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
So you agree with me, you either need the $100K degree or a trade school? Many with the skilled degree now need to continue schooling for a Master's or Doctorate because the market is so saturated with Bachelor's degrees they've become valueless and in order to make enough to pay off those student loans the students require more schooling to be marketable at higher wages.

You still keep dodging the question... Who is it that is running this scam? Are you saying it's the Millennials? Are the perpetrators just crooks, or are they fraudsters? It seems you agree that a large number of the degrees being sold are worthless...

If I slapped a coat of paint on a $100K condo full of mold and sold it to you, would you consider this to be an ethical business practice?
A certain segment of Baby Boomers and their selfishness and greed have got us to the point we're in. It really got nasty under Reagan, and then again under George W. Bush. The Gen Xrs we're their first born and many of them have turned out to be the same selfish/greedy prototype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 02:57 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,098 posts, read 5,155,498 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
So you agree with me, you either need the $100K degree or a trade school? Many with the skilled degree now need to continue schooling for a Master's or Doctorate because the market is so saturated with Bachelor's degrees they've become valueless and in order to make enough to pay off those student loans the students require more schooling to be marketable at higher wages.

You still keep dodging the question... Who is it that is running this scam? Are you saying it's the Millennials? Are the perpetrators just crooks, or are they fraudsters? It seems you agree that a large number of the degrees being sold are worthless...

If I slapped a coat of paint on a $100K condo full of mold and sold it to you, would you consider this to be an ethical business practice?



So if it costs you 100k to get a degree, and you make 120k a year with said degree, is that not a worthwhile investment?
If you agree to the terms, receive the degree, how is it a scam?

Your condo analogy fails pretty hard. The paint hides the mold. It's deception.
The degree program makes NO promise of employment. It's not hiding anything. Career statistics are everywhere. Nothing is hidden. There's no lies or false promises.


I am not dodging the question. I answered it. THERE IS NO SCAM.

If you would like to discuss some of the factors involved in the high prices I'll do that now.

Government involvement is the single biggest contributor to tuition prices.
Competition is the second biggest. Schools want to attract students so they offer amenities which drives up the prices. This will continue as long as people keep taking out loans or otherwise paying for college.

The fact of the matter is college is a business. The purpose of business is to profit selling a product or service to customers. College owes you a piece of paper that says you are qualified to do X. Nothing more. It does not owe you a job. It does not owe you any quality of life. You got exactly what you paid for. A piece of paper stating that you are qualified for X.


Let's try this from another perspective. If you go to college for electrical engineering. You got a scholarship covering most of it and paid the other 5,000 dollars out of pocket. You have no debt as a result.
Is it the college's fault if you show up to an interview at GE late, high, and wearing a big ol shirt that says weed, and don't get the job? Or is it your fault for being an idiot?
The college gave you the paper and skills needed for the job. YOU bungled the interview with your choices.

You went to college. The college got paid. You got the paper you were promised. You got the skills and knowledge you were promised. So how is that a scam?


Now, I will say that there are some scam colleges out there. Patriot Bible university for example. But even then, a 3 second google search shows that they are unaccredited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM
 
Location: California
240 posts, read 76,241 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
A certain segment of Baby Boomers and their selfishness and greed have got us to the point we're in. It really got nasty under Reagan, and then again under George W. Bush. The Gen Xrs we're their first born and many of them have turned out to be the same selfish/greedy prototype.
Baby Boomers are a generation of "self-made" people who gained success due to government hand-outs provided by the New Deal who then closed the door for everyone else by buying into the neo-con rhetoric of lower taxes for the rich, anti-union, gutting of entitlements, and deregulation espoused by Reagan. These idiots basically rode the gravy train to Successville and once they made it they started to demonize the gravy train and actively advocated for its dissolution. Now Baby Boomers demonize Millennials for not being as successful totally oblivious to the fact that they are the reason why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 03:36 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,098 posts, read 5,155,498 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Baby Boomers are a generation of "self-made" people who gained success due to government hand-outs provided by the New Deal who then closed the door for everyone else by buying into the neo-con rhetoric of lower taxes for the rich, anti-union, gutting of entitlements, and deregulation espoused by Reagan. These idiots basically rode the gravy train to Successville and once they made it they started to demonize the gravy train and actively advocated for its dissolution. Now Baby Boomers demonize Millennials for not being as successful totally oblivious to the fact that they are the reason why!





Sooo much wrong with this post.

Boomers do suck, that much we agree on. The new deal was awful and is still awful. SS Medicare, and other hand outs are a big part of the reason our economy keeps tanking.

Hating the rich is just as bad as hating millenials. The fact is the vast majority of our tax money is wasted by the government. Instead of arguing over who should be paying the most, we should be discussing why we're spending 4 trillion dollars a year on predominantly useless crap.
For example we are borrowing money from China and then giving aid to China. We're borrowing money from China, paying interest on that money, to give it right back to China. That is maddening.
We're giving 3 billion a year to Israel. We're giving billions away to every other country, it seems, on the planet.
We're giving sports teams subsidies. We're paying billions for bases all around the world.
We're paying trillions to destroy and rebuild countries we have no business being in.
The question isn't why aren't the rich paying more. The question is why the hell are we paying for this crap at all? No one should be paying income tax at all.

Unions do more harm than good. Workers do get better pay and some protections but the free market is destroyed in the process. Public unions are bankrupting cities all over the country. Teachers unions prevent crap teachers from being fired and stop positive changes to curriculums.


Regulation is a huge part of the problem. EVERYTHING the government regulates becomes more expensive and worse.


Boomers are mostly right to blame Millennials for not being successful. They're choosing to be losers. They're willingly taking on debt to go after jobs that don't exist. They're actively making bad decisions.
Sure boomers raised some of them, but at a certain point you can't blame your parents anymore.
You're an adult. Start making adult decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top