U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

1,918 posts, read 1,345,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Wouldn't the bottom be the best?

If Henderson is 56th and Las Vegas is 117th, and educated guess would be that a higher number is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

60 posts, read 26,039 times
The sheer volume of accidents is mind boggling.

Old Today, 03:49 AM

13,571 posts, read 9,821,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3452 View Post
The sheer volume of accidents is mind boggling.
Wait until it rains. 5 drops hit the ground and you start to hear sirens. A consultant doctor I was working with needed to go back to Phoenix for his weekend. It started raining. His flight wasnít for two hours. I told him to leave now, based on the above. He scoffed at me. Then the sirens started. He got his ass into his rental car and left.

I just smirked. Because itís absolutely true. Saw a truck do a 180 coming off a left turn on Rainbow last time we had a good shower.

Old Today, 04:41 AM

9,827 posts, read 5,817,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
If Henderson is 56th and Las Vegas is 117th, and educated guess would be that a higher number is worse.
And educated guess? Or an educated guess lol?

I remember dreading 11th grade and to have to drive around in the car with the shop teacher, who was also the drivers ed teacher, and that large yellow with bold black lettering STUDENT DRIVER sign on the roof. When I started the class, of course, it was those scared straight accident films. I'm sure there were instructive ones too, but the gore is what you remember. Then two in the back, you're up behind the wheel, and teach is shotgun. Don't get so close - if you can't see the bottom of his rear bumper you are too close. No, not at 55mph, this was AT A COMPLETE STOP. I know that may be new information to many of you, but that tip was free.

Old Today, 08:01 AM

23,367 posts, read 22,354,030 times
Quote:
If you are taught correctly and develop the right skills and attitude, it doesn't matter where you're driving. Driving school teaches that. Even the motorcycle defensive driver class (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) will make you a better driver on two and four wheels. It's inescapable.
My husband, who had taken the FBI defensive driving course, almost lost it a few times in and around large cities. DC, NY, and Boston have notoriously bad drivers. Houston, LA, and anything near San Francisco are also on the short list. Let's not forget Atlanta.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

13,571 posts, read 9,821,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband, who had taken the FBI defensive driving course, almost lost it a few times in and around large cities. DC, NY, and Boston have notoriously bad drivers. Houston, LA, and anything near San Francisco are also on the short list. Let's not forget Atlanta.
When I was up in Oakland for several months for work, I saw driving that made me almost **** my pants. I was in a taxi, some guy misses his turn and floors it in reverse. Almost hit us. I learned some new Armenian curse words that day.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

1,918 posts, read 1,345,689 times
Quote:
And educated guess? Or an educated guess lol?

I remember dreading 11th grade and to have to drive around in the car with the shop teacher, who was also the drivers ed teacher, and that large yellow with bold black lettering STUDENT DRIVER sign on the roof. When I started the class, of course, it was those scared straight accident films. I'm sure there were instructive ones too, but the gore is what you remember. Then two in the back, you're up behind the wheel, and teach is shotgun. Don't get so close - if you can't see the bottom of his rear bumper you are too close. No, not at 55mph, this was AT A COMPLETE STOP. I know that may be new information to many of you, but that tip was free.

I think you can figure it out. I have a swipe keyboard, and by the time you typed in a response I could have written an entire novel. I understand the irony however.

I was taught you need to see the tires at all times. Although super rare, if the car in front stalls and is unable to start, you may be boxed in if too close. I also want to breathing as little as carbon monoxide as possible, and if you're right up against their exhaust and running the AC or fan with outside air, you will get the full grunt of it.

I've said it before, I believe stop signs are a huge problem. Some drivers don't see them, others mistake 4 way stop signs for 2 way.

Another one is herd mentality, drivers see others in front of them turning left at an intersection and they just follow the crowd not realizing they need to yield to oncoming traffic.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

896 posts, read 1,448,143 times
my big pet peeve is almost every car commercial promotes speed in some fashion in order to sell the performance of their cars. I just dont get it. unless you want to go to germany and drive on their autobahn, there's not many places you can legally drive at high rates of speed. the urge to "to put the petal to the metal" is overwhelming to so many folks who purchase high performance engines whether in sports cars or other vehicles.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

9,827 posts, read 5,817,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I was taught..
this is the key to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or