U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

381 posts, read 161,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Great security cam resolution. Those kids are as good as caught. I don't see how a few brats with poorly improvised burglary tools are "terrorizing" anyone. Why would the news report wax hyperbolic over the attempted burglary and gloss over the part about one of the kids committing armed robbery? Sorry journalism, and I use the term "journalism" loosely.

Isn't the real story one of these kids pulling a gun and robbing someone on the street, a felony, worth more than a mention? What did I miss?
I've come to the conclusion that there is no real news reporting in this town. There's a top 3 stories of the day followed by hilights from the upcoming evening news interspersed with 13 minutes of lawyer commercials and a couple of weather segments..

The DC area, when it was around the size of the Vegas Metro in the 90s already had a local 24/7 news channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
In the Anthem area?? Jeez, I'm really surprised. I thought maybe one burglary a year around there.

Well, HOAs can't do squat to help. They <might> add a roving rent-a-cop, which is a facade not a solution.

Add LIGHTS all around your house and burn them from dusk to dawn - that's the #1 deterrent. Cams kinda help, big dogs do help.

PS: my view on cams is that they are a sell out and provide a false sense of security to homeowners. Most thugs doing B&E don't really care, they just want money for their drugs or whatever.
Most petty thieves will STILL break-in to your house, the cams merely assist LEO with their capture.

Meanwhile, your home has been invaded, strangers rummaged through your personal belongings and stole what they wanted to. Your privacy and sense of safety at home may never be the same.
At that point, are you really going to feel better because they caught the little punk who broke into your house? Kinda, but catching them won't help your sense of insecurity.

MUCH better to prevent the break-in, then focus on catching them after the fact.

JMO/YMMV

-von
I think the rent-a-cop is a strong deterrent, provided they actually do their job and aren't in on it.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:43 PM

People were doing this on Nextdoor, but a lot of trolling was going on there.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM

27,445 posts, read 38,711,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
I feel cameras provide a false sense of security. All a perpetrator has to do is cover their face and then what are you going to do? Even if they don't cover their face, is metro going to circulate your image ? are your neighbors going to somehow know this person?

Get a large dog or an extremely loud alarm siren with a backup battery. Reinforce your front door strike and maintain good homeowners/renters insurance.
Most of these scum are too stupid to cover their face. See the link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Start a neighborhood watch program. Get to know the people who live around you and look out for each other.
We have NW and anything that happens is reported through email. Like the information in the link.

Porch Pirate reported NW LV

Old 01-05-2019, 01:38 PM

2,735 posts, read 7,529,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell92 View Post
I find that LVMPD in my area, Summerlin, does a fantastic job. I regularly see officers patrolling my area.
I don't know what part of Summerlin you live in but they are not even visible anymore. I've in North Summerlin and crime has increased in the last few years. I never see a police cruiser or even a motorcycle cop driving around anymore. I've also noticed more homeless camping out in the area parks at night, but they are pretty stealthy about it and don't attract too much attention. As cost of living and prices start to rise I think the situation will get worse and raising taxes will not solve the problem.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I don't know what part of Summerlin you live in but they are not even visible anymore. I've in North Summerlin and crime has increased in the last few years. I never see a police cruiser or even a motorcycle cop driving around anymore. I've also noticed more homeless camping out in the area parks at night, but they are pretty stealthy about it and don't attract too much attention. As cost of living and prices start to rise I think the situation will get worse and raising taxes will not solve the problem.
I also live in North Summerlin as well. Crime in our area has actually gone down over the last few years per LVMPD statistics. People are just seeing more reported via social media. If you ever see homeless camping in any of your parks please inform our HOA as soon as possible. They will be very quick to act. We pay for private security for this very reason. We need to be very vigilante.

Last edited by Cornell92; 01-06-2019 at 01:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM

854 posts, read 516,224 times
An effective security system is layered, in-depth, redundant, and backed up. If your neighbors are willing participants, your depth is significantly better than the perimeter of your property and most effective.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:00 AM

5,215 posts, read 3,934,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller0 View Post
Weíve been dealing with this same type of crap in Anthem. The police doesnít seem to care about us down here. There have been 5 burglaries on my street alone in the last month. Itís been a living hell. Iíd like to put up cameras and get a security system, but I canít afford it. Some of it is from the homeless camp in the ditch behind my house.
Keep joining with new names with the agenda to defame Anthem/Henderson!! I pulled up the crime stats (public info) and canít find any street in Anthem with 5 burglaries on the same street in 2018.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 2,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
An effective security system is layered, in-depth, redundant, and backed up. If your neighbors are willing participants, your depth is significantly better than the perimeter of your property and most effective.
Excellent advice here. With respect to service providers/installers, could you PM me or reply here some good places where I can

1. Get a hard wired 24/7 live video feed monitoring camera system (donít want those Arlo WiFi camera types for the lag time and dealing with batteries)

2. My understanding is police in Henderson wont respond unless thereís visual confirmation of crime in progress (video, witness etc) - I have my ideas on Alarm systems base in this, but would appreciate you suggestions if any specific to providers in Henderson.

only last layer I wonít have is a big dog..

Many thanks

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 AM

40 posts, read 39,622 times
Stating the obvious (like most of us are), but the best solution to minimizing the chance of a break-in is making a lot of money. That enables living in a area without crackheads, installing a good security system, affording a big dog, etc. I think the biggest determining factor is location; just look at a crime map. So far, my family has only had a break-in once when we were on vacation (I was 8 at the time). It was probably a crackhead from a few houses down that noticed we were gone. We lived in a gang infested/barrio/low income area in California at the time, didn't have any good deterrents in place, and break-ins were commonplace there. This, among other things, pushed my mom and dad to find better paying jobs to enable us to move to a nicer area and we didn't have any issues after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas