Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,423,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell92 View Post
I find that LVMPD in my area, Summerlin, does a fantastic job. I regularly see officers patrolling my area.
My friend live in Summerline and his plant vases were stolen from his front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,077,255 times
I am always amused by the delusion presented by the people who reside in Summerlin. Sure there's a modicum more money on that side and plethora automobiles of status. However the people locomoting about in them are twits without the tiniest concern for the well being of surrounding drivers. Driving through Summerlin is a lot like playing Frogg er (stupid censor) . Everything is trying to hit you, no one is slowing down, and no one is looking where they're going.
Crime, it seems, is far more prevalent there due to the sprawling houses bought mainly to show off.
Thieves go for good payouts and your new flatscreen, bigger than the one next door, fits the bill perfectly.
I'll stick to the east side where an adequate house, filled with adequate stuff suffices, and fails to entice would be robbers.
The crime map in Summerlin is indistinguishable from a Jackson Pollack while the east side map is more like an Knoebel.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,224,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I am always amused by the delusion presented by the people who reside in Summerlin. Sure there's a modicum more money on that side and plethora automobiles of status. However the people locomoting about in them are twits without the tiniest concern for the well being of surrounding drivers. Driving through Summerlin is a lot like playing Frogg er (stupid censor) . Everything is trying to hit you, no one is slowing down, and no one is looking where they're going.
Crime, it seems, is far more prevalent there due to the sprawling houses bought mainly to show off.
Thieves go for good payouts and your new flatscreen, bigger than the one next door, fits the bill perfectly.
I'll stick to the east side where an adequate house, filled with adequate stuff suffices, and fails to entice would be robbers.
The crime map in Summerlin is indistinguishable from a Jackson Pollack while the east side map is more like an Knoebel.
Nonsense - Take the crime map and count the number of incidents in the last seven days from Carey to DI and Eastern to the Mountains. Then slide across to Summerlin say Durango to the Mountains on the same height. 270 incidents on the east side - 43 on the west side. So better then 6:1 favoring the west side.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,034,906 times
Great security cam resolution. Those kids are as good as caught. I don't see how a few brats with poorly improvised burglary tools are "terrorizing" anyone. Why would the news report wax hyperbolic over the attempted burglary and gloss over the part about one of the kids committing armed robbery? Sorry journalism, and I use the term "journalism" loosely.

Isn't the real story one of these kids pulling a gun and robbing someone on the street, a felony, worth more than a mention? What did I miss?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:29 AM

555 posts, read 770,321 times
I feel cameras provide a false sense of security. All a perpetrator has to do is cover their face and then what are you going to do? Even if they don't cover their face, is metro going to circulate your image ? are your neighbors going to somehow know this person?

Get a large dog or an extremely loud alarm siren with a backup battery. Reinforce your front door strike and maintain good homeowners/renters insurance.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:32 AM

124 posts, read 104,052 times
In the Anthem area?? Jeez, I'm really surprised. I thought maybe one burglary a year around there.

Well, HOAs can't do squat to help. They <might> add a roving rent-a-cop, which is a facade not a solution.

Add LIGHTS all around your house and burn them from dusk to dawn - that's the #1 deterrent. Cams kinda help, big dogs do help.

PS: my view on cams is that they are a sell out and provide a false sense of security to homeowners. Most thugs doing B&E don't really care, they just want money for their drugs or whatever.
Most petty thieves will STILL break-in to your house, the cams merely assist LEO with their capture.

Meanwhile, your home has been invaded, strangers rummaged through your personal belongings and stole what they wanted to. Your privacy and sense of safety at home may never be the same.
At that point, are you really going to feel better because they caught the little punk who broke into your house? Kinda, but catching them won't help your sense of insecurity.

MUCH better to prevent the break-in, then focus on catching them after the fact.

JMO/YMMV

-von

Last edited by VonZimmer; 01-05-2019 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,528,408 times
Start a neighborhood watch program. Get to know the people who live around you and look out for each other.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,241,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
I feel cameras provide a false sense of security. All a perpetrator has to do is cover their face and then what are you going to do? Even if they don't cover their face, is metro going to circulate your image ? are your neighbors going to somehow know this person?

Get a large dog or an extremely loud alarm siren with a backup battery. Reinforce your front door strike and maintain good homeowners/renters insurance.
If you have cameras in the right places you'll catch them checking out your place/the neighborhood beforehand.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Start a neighborhood watch program. Get to know the people who live around you and look out for each other.
The ring app does this (at a cost). It let's users interact and post their videos of crimes or suspicious activity. Event/case numbers are also often posted, so one can call the police and quickly give information about the case if they have it.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,502,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense - Take the crime map and count the number of incidents in the last seven days from Carey to DI and Eastern to the Mountains. Then slide across to Summerlin say Durango to the Mountains on the same height. 270 incidents on the east side - 43 on the west side. So better then 6:1 favoring the west side.
Some people have a real boner re Summerlin. As someone who grew up literally dirt poor I can relate, but you would think that at some point in life they'd get over it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas