U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:45 PM

578 posts, read 213,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller0 View Post
I would say Anthem used to be a nice area. I have noticed a decline in the appearance of the houses and the kinds of people living here the last five years. Itís sad because I used to like it in Anthem. Just this morning when I was walking my dog in Anthem Hills Park I found a lot of drug paraphernalia near the skate park. There was even a needle in the grass! Iím looking at some rentals in Cadence and SE Henderson this afternoon.
My opinion... This crap is going on everywhere in the valley now because Metro doesn't patrol and they are not getting a handle on the homeless and gang problems.

The call transplants are bringing all their crap with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM

13,612 posts, read 9,966,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams4563 View Post
I used to live in Southern Highlands 12 years ago had to move because I lost my job. When I recently found a new job in Henderson I figured Southern Highlands would be a good place to live because I remember it being a nice area. I rented a house sight unseen and while the house is decent the surrounding community is nothing like I remember it. It seems like everything besides the gated golf area is a rental slum. The common areas are constantly filthy and there is a lot of graffiti on light poles, electric boxes, etc. there also seems to be a large homeless problem. The street I live on it seems most houses have multiple families living in them. I am reguarly panhandled in the Smith’s parking lot and last night in the store even! Did the housing crash hit this area hard and everything get bought up by investors? Two weeks ago someone shattered my car window in broad daylight. When I called METRO they never even showed up! As soon as my lease is up I’m moving.
You nailed it. The housing boom / bust fecked this town hard. Way too many out-of-state investor owned rentals now. When I owned my home about a mile south of Aliante, it’s like the area changed overnight after the bust.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 3,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You nailed it. The housing boom / bust fecked this town hard. Way too many out-of-state investor owned rentals now. When I owned my home about a mile south of Aliante, it’s like the area changed overnight after the bust.
Thank for answering. I finally got to really drive around the areas of Silverado Ranch, Anthem, Anthem highlands, Inspirata and Green Valley (Not GVR). It seemed that Anthem is holding up, but Anthem Highlands is following the same path of Silverado Ranch. A lot of houses full of weeds and and junky cars. I think the houses built in Anthem Highlands were a lot lower quality than Anthem. Plus it takes forever to get down there and the construction near the airport will make traffic on Volunteer just as hellacious as on Eastern. I don’t know what anyone would find appealing about Inspirada. I’ve never seen houses more tightly packed. It was hard to even turn around in there. When I got to the house I was looking at in Green Valley it looked night and day better. The neighborhood being older must not of borne the brunt of the crash as much as SH, Silverado Ranch and Anthem highlands.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thank for answering. I finally got to really drive around the areas of Silverado Ranch, Anthem, Anthem highlands, Inspirata and Green Valley (Not GVR). It seemed that Anthem is holding up, but Anthem Highlands is following the same path of Silverado Ranch. A lot of houses full of weeds and and junky cars. I think the houses built in Anthem Highlands were a lot lower quality than Anthem. Plus it takes forever to get down there and the construction near the airport will make traffic on Volunteer just as hellacious as on Eastern. I donít know what anyone would find appealing about Inspirada. Iíve never seen houses more tightly packed. It was hard to even turn around in there. When I got to the house I was looking at in Green Valley it looked night and day better. The neighborhood being older must not of borne the brunt of the crash as much as SH, Silverado Ranch and Anthem highlands.
I think the cheaper bubble neighborhoods have mostly recovered, but may still have a few straggler rentals. The mid/upmarket foreclosure-villes in the slightly higher end parts of town didn't seem to fare as well. I think the investors were desperate to rent houses in these areas and were willing to rent them to just about anyone with a pulse for substantially below the market rates for these areas. These areas seem to be having a hard time recovering. I think a lot of the buyers in these areas were "house poor" and ended up losing their homes during the crisis.

Taking my neighborhood as an example... starter-home type houses for a small/new family. Had a ton of section 8, 5 years ago, now there are about 2 houses left. Values have increased and the rental market has increased and has now priced these people out. The investors got enough of an increase after the property values went back up that most of them sold to take profits and now there are actual homeowners back in the houses again.

The neighborhood next door was slightly higher-end... bigger houses, more pools, fancier landscaping, fancier finishes on the houses... that neighborhood still looks very blighted with a very large number of rentals that turn over frequently. Judging by the 2 rentals behind my house, the quality of the tenants is ... not good. They're still not getting much more for the houses there than in my own neighborhood.

Every year here in my neighborhood I am seeing more and more homes with xmas lights/decorations out at Christmas time. I think this is an indicator of homeowners that have extra discretionary cash to spend. The neighborhood next door had ZERO and I mean NONE - no houses with any xmas decorations this year.

At the bottom of the market, the rental rates in both these neighborhoods were the same, despite the houses in the other one being larger.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,699,131 times
After a landlord has had "enough" and the lease is up, they will give the Section 8 tenant the boot. At that time, the Section 8r's will usually go to a nearby apartment complex.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
After a landlord has had "enough" and the lease is up, they will give the Section 8 tenant the boot. At that time, the Section 8r's will usually go to a nearby apartment complex.
Around here they are all going to one of 2 complexes located on the main drags. I noticed that both of these have substantially raised their rents within the last year.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,699,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Around here they are all going to one of 2 complexes located on the main drags. I noticed that both of these have substantially raised their rents within the last year.
Of course!

Because Section 8 creates an artificial "demand".

The owner of the complex can use the high occupancy rate to justify the higher rents.

The people who get screwed are the non-Section 8 renters who have to pay regular rent and be part of a hellish living environment.

Then a new apartment complex will be built in a few months, just adjacent to those you're referring to, and the cycle will repeat.

This is a chronic problem in a town like Las Vegas where "connected" people buy land on the cheap, then sell it to developers who build apartment complexes. It's a huge game with a lot of players including the people on government planning agencies, real estate agents, good ol' boys, developers, etc.

It's a curse for a town to deal with, but that's the way things have been done so long.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Of course!

Because Section 8 creates an artificial "demand".

The owner of the complex can use the high occupancy rate to justify the higher rents.

The people who get screwed are the non-Section 8 renters who have to pay regular rent and be part of a hellish living environment.

Then a new apartment complex will be built in a few months, just adjacent to those you're referring to, and the cycle will repeat.

This is a chronic problem in a town like Las Vegas where "connected" people buy land on the cheap, then sell it to developers who build apartment complexes. It's a huge game with a lot of players including the people on government planning agencies, real estate agents, good ol' boys, developers, etc.

It's a curse for a town to deal with, but that's the way things have been done so long.
Indeed. The worse of the 2 used to be guard gated but I noticed that they have done away with both the guards and gates. The other is electronically gated and has remained that way.

Another reason why I keep saying on here that the gates don't mean diddly....

The same game was being played in the DC area back east. I imagine this goes on just about everywhere.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 AM

5,377 posts, read 4,061,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller0 View Post
I would say Anthem used to be a nice area. I have noticed a decline in the appearance of the houses and the kinds of people living here the last five years. Itís sad because I used to like it in Anthem. Just this morning when I was walking my dog in Anthem Hills Park I found a lot of drug paraphernalia near the skate park. There was even a needle in the grass! Iím looking at some rentals in Cadence and SE Henderson this afternoon.
Troll! Be aware of such untrue posters who have no history on CD and just join to promote a slur campaign. I walks in Anthem Hills park ALL the time and never see what is alleged to above.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 AM

5,377 posts, read 4,061,087 times
Quote:
Thank for answering. I finally got to really drive around the areas of Silverado Ranch, Anthem, Anthem highlands, Inspirata and Green Valley (Not GVR). It seemed that Anthem is holding up, but Anthem Highlands is following the same path of Silverado Ranch. A lot of houses full of weeds and and junky cars. I think the houses built in Anthem Highlands were a lot lower quality than Anthem. Plus it takes forever to get down there and the construction near the airport will make traffic on Volunteer just as hellacious as on Eastern. I donít know what anyone would find appealing about Inspirada. Iíve never seen houses more tightly packed. It was hard to even turn around in there. When I got to the house I was looking at in Green Valley it looked night and day better. The neighborhood being older must not of borne the brunt of the crash as much as SH, Silverado Ranch and Anthem highlands.
Another troll attempt ó probably the same person joining with an agenda to trash the hughly popular southern Henderson area. Iím beginning to think this is a person who works for a home builder or a realtor trying to steer people away in hopes they will develop interest in Summerlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or