U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
 
14 posts, read 3,581 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Let us know how its going in a year when the loud parties, roving gangs, homeless everywhere, drive by shootings, graffiti and vandalism start getting old.

Just for fun, take some snapshots at the local grocery store on the first of the month and post them here.
Thanks for your helpful reply. We have visited the area twice already that we are questioning and I can tell you I saw very little if none of what you mention. Thank you though for trying to offer some assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM
 
141 posts, read 106,883 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Let us know how its going in a year when the loud parties, roving gangs, homeless everywhere, drive by shootings, graffiti and vandalism start getting old.

Just for fun, take some snapshots at the local grocery store on the first of the month and post them here.

I really have no idea why anyone would post something like this. It is so incredibly peaceful here. I've never, never, never heard any loud music here. Never, never seen any gangs (and I know what a gang looks like, I used to live in Brooklyn). There is a huge variety of grocery shopping. In Miami, I loved buying produce at the Latin groceries (honestly they have the best variety, freshest, and lowest prices) and there are several large, very clean and excellent Latin grocery stores within blocks (Marketon, La Bonita, others) as well as many Smith's, Albertsons, Walmart marketplaces, and others very, very close. Everything is so convenient here in my experience.

Okay, it's not perfect, no place is. I hear the jets flying from Nellis from time to time, but I am retired military and I love the sound of freedom. I do see graffiti here and there, but it is on Nellis Blvd at some intersections. I see graffiti all over Las Vegas though. I've not seen any graffiti of the main Blvd. So none in the neighborhood anywhere near here.

This past Sunday I drove around a bit, it was cold, cold and rainy. I passed by Hollywood Park and the parking lot was full. In the cold and drizzle there was a high school girls softball game playing. Hollywood Park was pretty full and these kids were all in softball uniforms playing organized, aggressive, very good league softball in the very cold and drizzle. Those are the kinds of things in this neighborhood. I understand there are probably areas of Sunrise Manor that are bad, but there's not around here.

For someone coming from any large(r) city I think that the vast majority of Sunrise Manor will appear to be very nice. I came here from Miami and there is frankly no comparison. It is much, much more civil here and feels much safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM
 
824 posts, read 1,178,471 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
... Sunrise Mountain is a beautiful backdrop.

FYI, If you're talking about the taller mountain, that's Frenchman mountain. I've hiked that mountain, it's a great hike. Sunrise mountain is the one to the north, on the other side of Lake Mead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM
 
14 posts, read 3,581 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
I really have no idea why anyone would post something like this. It is so incredibly peaceful here. I've never, never, never heard any loud music here. Never, never seen any gangs (and I know what a gang looks like, I used to live in Brooklyn). There is a huge variety of grocery shopping. In Miami, I loved buying produce at the Latin groceries (honestly they have the best variety, freshest, and lowest prices) and there are several large, very clean and excellent Latin grocery stores within blocks (Marketon, La Bonita, others) as well as many Smith's, Albertsons, Walmart marketplaces, and others very, very close. Everything is so convenient here in my experience.

Okay, it's not perfect, no place is. I hear the jets flying from Nellis from time to time, but I am retired military and I love the sound of freedom. I do see graffiti here and there, but it is on Nellis Blvd at some intersections. I see graffiti all over Las Vegas though. I've not seen any graffiti of the main Blvd. So none in the neighborhood anywhere near here.

This past Sunday I drove around a bit, it was cold, cold and rainy. I passed by Hollywood Park and the parking lot was full. In the cold and drizzle there was a high school girls softball game playing. Hollywood Park was pretty full and these kids were all in softball uniforms playing organized, aggressive, very good league softball in the very cold and drizzle. Those are the kinds of things in this neighborhood. I understand there are probably areas of Sunrise Manor that are bad, but there's not around here.

For someone coming from any large(r) city I think that the vast majority of Sunrise Manor will appear to be very nice. I came here from Miami and there is frankly no comparison. It is much, much more civil here and feels much safer.
Seriously can not thank you enough, this is so what I was trying to find out! We live in Rhode Island, BUT I lived in NYC for 12 years. I lived all over - Queens, Spanish Harlem in Manhattan and Brooklyn! (small world!). I am happy for diversity again (nearly none of that in my current suburban life in RI) and happy to move where there is a mix of people from all over like it was in NYC.

Your responses have helped immensely. And completely agree, no place is perfect, ever...but this does help (we will be moving literally a couple small blocks south of Hollywood Park).

(And I agree, not sure where the hate responses are coming from but I choose to smile and move on.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM
 
1,978 posts, read 2,193,659 times
Reputation: 2130
You asked for opinions & got them for better or worse. In your first post you questioned crime in the area. So right out of the gate that tells us you know it's not the greatest area. If you are all for diversity you will get it that is for sure. Seems to me you only want to hear positives and ignore the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 PM
 
141 posts, read 106,883 times
Reputation: 155
There's one or two posters on this thread who are posting wild exaggerations outrageously sensationalizing criminal activity. Makes me laugh, one poster early on wrote "just look at crimemapping.com and after that you'll see that Sunrise Manor is a hellhole" When I posted the map from crimemapping showing no greater crime in Sunrise Manor, the same poster wrote, "oh crimemapping is not accurate, you need to look at FBI stats". There's bad pockets in Sunrise Manor as there are in downtown and in the Northwest, but to sensationalize as some here have IMO causes readers to disregard the validity of their posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM
 
572 posts, read 209,546 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpinta View Post
Thanks for your helpful reply. We have visited the area twice already that we are questioning and I can tell you I saw very little if none of what you mention. Thank you though for trying to offer some assistance.
Wait until after dark. Also, activity rises when the temperature rises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM
 
572 posts, read 209,546 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
There's one or two posters on this thread who are posting wild exaggerations outrageously sensationalizing criminal activity. Makes me laugh, one poster early on wrote "just look at crimemapping.com and after that you'll see that Sunrise Manor is a hellhole" When I posted the map from crimemapping showing no greater crime in Sunrise Manor, the same poster wrote, "oh crimemapping is not accurate, you need to look at FBI stats". There's bad pockets in Sunrise Manor as there are in downtown and in the Northwest, but to sensationalize as some here have IMO causes readers to disregard the validity of their posts.
Sunrise Manor is right behind the downtown area in terms of crime rate. Using SW Vegas as a comparison, Sunrise Manor has THREE TIMES the crime rate of the SW, and SWLV isn't even the lowest crime area in the valley.

Crimemapping I don't believe catalogs North Las Vegas. To the best of my knowledge, NLVPD uses their own crime mapping system. Henderson uses a different contracted service, and Metro contracts to crimemapping.com.

It is difficult to draw comparisons on these crime map services, because there isn't an easy way to view an aggregate map. Furthermore, the statistics are being displayed differently, with different categorizations for different types of crime. I suspect this is why the FBI uniform crime statistics are being referenced because they are the only ones with a (theoretically) standardized method of reporting.

Now, factor in all of the crap going on that is either not being reported at all, or is not being filed by PD du jour's internal policies.

Also, in the ghetto, people from the area generally don't call the police unless someone has been shot.

Edit to add:
If you are using crimemapping.com, make sure you are zoomed into an area to see all the reported crimes. The map will only show about 800 at a time, so if you are zoomed out too far, you may see a map that looks a lot less dense than it should because the map can't load all of the reports. Once, you zoom in to an area with less than 800 reports the map is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
 
2,210 posts, read 2,291,640 times
Reputation: 1394
I was by Hollywood and Lake Mead the other day, that part of town is ultra rough.

But I imagine the house you want to build will be in an enclave of Sunrise Manor. Scoop always talked about that part of town and how he was content with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:38 AM
 
572 posts, read 209,546 times
Reputation: 353
If you go up the mountain past Hollywood on Lake Mead the developments look better, but you will be sharing the same local services with all the trailer parks and rundown section 8 rentals, which is mostly all there is over there.

Also, you'll be considered a gentrifier with your new home, so prepare to be a target.

It was on the news a month or two ago... A new housing development on Lake Mead Blvd that was set on fire and a few of the units burned.

This is the only area in town where without fail a panhandler will accost me in my car for money in a shopping center parking lot and it happens every. Single. Time.

Every week I go up there, new graffiti everywhere. I've made it a little game to find all the new graffiti each week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top