U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 717 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a 28 year old male currently planning to move across the country from Cleveland,OH to Las Vegas,NV. I will be transferring out to the MGM from my current position as a cook. I plan to drive my car across country with my Dad April 1, so about three more months. I need some help choosing a safe place to rent. My limit is $900, I know it wonít get much in terms of quality but I only need a 1-bedroom. I have searched apartment sites, and found a few places. Iím wondering if you all could help by giving some local advice on the area safety, apartment reputation (if known). The apartments I have so far are:

1. Kaleidoscope Apartment - 2500 N Rainbow Blvd
2. Vista del Valle Apartments - 4051 W Viking Rd
3. Montego Bay Apartment - 1050 Whitney Ranch
4. Renaissance Villas Apartments- 5419 W Tropicana Ave
5. Crossing at Green Valley- 2312 N Green Vally Pkwy
6. Summer Winds Apts -2725 W. Wigwam

Would you consider any of these residences or neighborhoods unsafe or inadequate places to live? From the information I have gathered (crime map and forum threads), I see that itís recommended to stay away from Northeast Las Vegas. I am going to take a trip to Las Vegas for four days next week to tour the apartments, but we all know itís different being there 30 minutes during daylight vs living there. Any advice on specific apartments or areas to rent would be greatly recommended. Also any advice on what I need to prepare myself for during the transition from Ohio to Nevada (in terms of culture shock, safety tips, things locals do, etc)? As you could imagine, im a bit anxious but excited for a new challenge. Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 PM

11,698 posts, read 22,981,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandtovegas View Post
Hello everyone, I am a 28 year old male currently planning to move across the country from Cleveland,OH to Las Vegas,NV. I will be transferring out to the MGM from my current position as a cook. I plan to drive my car across country with my Dad April 1, so about three more months. I need some help choosing a safe place to rent. My limit is $900, I know it won’t get much in terms of quality but I only need a 1-bedroom. I have searched apartment sites, and found a few places. I’m wondering if you all could help by giving some local advice on the area safety, apartment reputation (if known). The apartments I have so far are:

1. Kaleidoscope Apartment - 2500 N Rainbow Blvd
2. Vista del Valle Apartments - 4051 W Viking Rd
3. Montego Bay Apartment - 1050 Whitney Ranch
4. Renaissance Villas Apartments- 5419 W Tropicana Ave
5. Crossing at Green Valley- 2312 N Green Vally Pkwy
6. Summer Winds Apts -2725 W. Wigwam

Would you consider any of these residences or neighborhoods unsafe or inadequate places to live? From the information I have gathered (crime map and forum threads), I see that it’s recommended to stay away from Northeast Las Vegas. I am going to take a trip to Las Vegas for four days next week to tour the apartments, but we all know it’s different being there 30 minutes during daylight vs living there. Any advice on specific apartments or areas to rent would be greatly recommended. Also any advice on what I need to prepare myself for during the transition from Ohio to Nevada (in terms of culture shock, safety tips, things locals do, etc)? As you could imagine, im a bit anxious but excited for a new challenge. Thanks in advance everyone!
Make sure you have plenty of savings!!! Vegas is getting expensive. I moved to Vegas from Cleveland in 2009. Left Vegas last June. Would never go back to live in Cleveland though

Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM

1,739 posts, read 3,103,501 times
I can't speak to all the locations you provided but Crossing at Green Valley and Montego Bay are both OK. Neither are unsafe. I would feel OK walking around at night. They aren't top tier super nice places in super nice areas, but they are OK.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM

211 posts, read 304,942 times
Another suggestion is Bay Breeze Apts on Warm Springs & Green Valley Pkwy. Very close to Montego Bay. We lived there when we moved here from PA. Very nice complex, good maintenance crew, safe, and clean grounds. We paid $900 for a two bedroom.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 AM

482 posts, read 372,535 times
FYI - Montego Bay is right under the flight descent to McCarran. Lots of aircraft noise.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 3,255 times
A friend of mine has lived at Kaleidoscope for the last few months and has liked it. She's a single female in her late 20's and feels safe alone in the area.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM

192 posts, read 52,623 times
CD is not really a good source for this type of question...many people on here will deem a neighborhood unsafe the second they see a non-white person walking down the street. You need to check LV Metro and Henderson crime statistics and also talk to random people in town. You also need to drive around the neighborhoods at night to make your assessment. Too many people on here are afraid of their own shadow...

Last edited by Deuterion; 01-09-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,583,460 times
Clark County NV is decent and not ghetto dangerous. Very small area that white people might think dangerous is around North of Downtown Las Vegas. It is a bit of rundown but compared to many cities in the US, Clark County, NV as a whole is tame. Lots of drugs here though and the prostitutes, their pimps and their next of kin. Quality of people are ave to below ave.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 PM

450 posts, read 178,148 times
I know someone who lives in the Crossings. They say they haven't had any problems there. It is/was in Henderson's top 10 police responses but keep in mind it's very population dense there. Units are at the age where things are starting to wear out and break. It looks like they've done some minor Reno to the units but quality of the Reno doesn't look too stellar to me, but that's pretty much the norm here.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 PM

450 posts, read 178,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
CD is not really a good source for this type of question...many people on here will deem a neighborhood unsafe the second they see a non-white person walking down the street. You need to check LV Metro and Henderson crime statistics and also talk to random people in town. You also need to drive around the neighborhoods at night to make your assessment. Too many people on here are afraid of their own shadow...
I'm not aware of any 100% white neighborhoods in Las Vegas .. are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or