U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM
EA

5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It seems several people on this thread somehow think the IT employees are High Tech employees. Typically they are not. IT is not a particularly high value-add position. Tech people tend to design, engineer & build products sold for a profit to companies whose IT employees implement them to manage the information infrastructure of the company. IT is a cost center. Tech is a profit center.

We absolutely do not have enough high tech capable engineers in the country. (Not talking about IT people.)

Lol so true. I almost got an IT position and I can't even work photoshop. I SUCK at computer software. I have my wife fix all my pc problems.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:16 PM

371 posts, read 239,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstring View Post
send them to nancy pelosi's house.
+5000

Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 PM

371 posts, read 239,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I wouldn't take any job that expected me to accept being homeless in order to keep said job.

It's nutters like these Google parking lot ppl and the H1-B importers that keep the salaries down.
Welcome to Las Vegas poverty wages. Working 3 part-time jobs at minimum wage is the norm in here. Had one job want me to pay for drug testing before even interviewing for an office manager position!

Last edited by WildSpark; 01-15-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 PM

454 posts, read 180,718 times
Quote:
Drive into any tech company in Silicon Valley, walk in the door, and you're pretty much hired on the spot, assuming you have skills & pass a background check. Just about every type of engineer: EE, ME, ChemE, CE, Software Engineer, IE, Photolithography Engineer, Semiconductor Engineer, System Architects, CPU Architects, Database Engineer, Support Engineer, Full Stack Developers of various flavors, etc etc etc.

And it isn't just Silicon Valley: also Silicon Rainforest, Silicon Slopes, Silicon Prarie, Silicon Beach, Silicon Alley, Silicon Swamp, etc.
Try it out and report back here how it works out for you.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It seems several people on this thread somehow think the IT employees are High Tech employees. Typically they are not. IT is not a particularly high value-add position. Tech people tend to design, engineer & build products sold for a profit to companies whose IT employees implement them to manage the information infrastructure of the company. IT is a cost center. Tech is a profit center.

We absolutely do not have enough high tech capable engineers in the country. (Not talking about IT people.)
IT is Tech. You're the first person I've ever heard suggesting that the two are separate.

The implementation of automation saves money whether you've got IT people implementing or software engineers writing it. BTW good luck getting a software engineer to write anything on that server that just broke down. Most software engineers know absolutely nothing about physical hardware. Also IT people end up writing a lot of middleware that ties the backend systems together. These portions of the industry are complementary and neither can really exist on their own.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 3,104,847 times
I agree, but plenty of "IT positions" are filled using H1b visas.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
Add to that that you need to compete with 400 other engineers who applied to the same position, and have to be very communicative and be able to "sell yourself", beside any tech knowledge check with 7 different people, and coding on whiteboard...

I don't think that it is that easy and simple as you described... that era was 20 years ago..but not anymore..
Yes, this is exactly what I have seen in recent years. Day long panel interviews with personality, soft skills, and hard tech questions and very often the request to immediately write code in front of everyone to solve some problem they came up with on the spot. There may also be some sort of skills assessment.

Pretty high pressure situation to be put on the spot to solve some issue you never heard of before and do it now while 7 people are watching you...

Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Lol so true. I almost got an IT position and I can't even work photoshop. I SUCK at computer software. I have my wife fix all my pc problems.
So you've gone from Carpenter to IT to welder? Wow, you are truly an amazing person there, EA.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Welcome to Las Vegas poverty wages. Working 3 part-time jobs at minimum wage is the norm in here. Had one job want me to pay for drug testing before even interviewing for an office manager position!
For "Industry"/retail, yes. These aren't real jobs. They're normally jobs some college kid does while going to school, if done anywhere else in the US. The idea of making a career of being a porter or valet is a phenomenon pretty unique to Vegas.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 PM

16,725 posts, read 20,434,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
To work.

While some are mentally ill, a lot of them aren't. They're perfectly capable of working and paying for life like the rest of us.
Do you realize how many unnecessary obstacles are in the way of the homeless today! Go apply for a job sometime after getting out of jail or prison! Good luck! Here, in Tucson, to get a job you need an address! OK! In Las Vegas, my home is in the Flamingo Wash close to Boulder Hwy, underneath a bridge!
Go get a job doing massage! First, you go to a Massage School and rack of $14k in student debt to get your license! First things First!

Anyone else can add to this list?

If I was a homeless person locked out of the workforce I'd wear a sign in back: I'm costing you $42.5k a year! Find me a job, and save yourself the money!

That's the average annual cost of having one homeless person on our streets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or