U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 AM
 
244 posts, read 39,267 times
Reputation: 297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Here is one thing that i've noticed on my side of town is these Van/Camper/small RVs that are parked in public lots and residential streets that do not have houses on each side. These are people who are trying to save money or they are in homeless but have some mobile shelter. I know in some expensive cities this is a reality where people who earn good salaries will sleep in a Van/Camper/Small RV and save the rent money and buy a home cash down the line. They would use the Gym as a shower and dress for work. I've seen a huge increase this past year

There are a few well-publicized cases of software engineers working for Google in Silicon Valley who live in campers parked in the Google parking lots, using the Google gym for showering. They are, as you describe, trying to save enough rent to put together the down payment.

 
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
482 posts, read 373,140 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Not enough Americans getting into the Nursing field that is why there is a need to hire Nurses from the Philippines. Not enough Americans getting into IT that is why India is supplying the shortage of tech professionals. In other words, it's the United States that is lacking and the rest of the world have the talent. In the end, it is a Win Win for both. Only the losers complain about it. United States' companies and hospitals benefit in the end hiring these professionals from overseas otherwise the country suffers. Philippine nurses give some of the best care in the world and from the looks of it, IT professionals from India know their field well.
Supply and demand. Offer a higher salary and you'll find an American willing to work that position.

Instead, our government (controlled by businesses) intervenes in that free market, allowing these companies to find foreign labor to increase demand and keep wages low.

The result is a generation of people around 30 that aren't married, don't plan on having children, and cannot purchase a starter home, because the "government" killed the 60k/year job so their parents could live a marginally higher quality of life.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 03:12 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Supply and demand. Offer a higher salary and you'll find an American willing to work that position.

Instead, our government (controlled by businesses) intervenes in that free market, allowing these companies to find foreign labor to increase demand and keep wages low.

The result is a generation of people around 30 that aren't married, don't plan on having children, and cannot purchase a starter home, because the "government" killed the 60k/year job so their parents could live a marginally higher quality of life.



Another victim.

Here's how supply and demand works.


A company needs 100 workers. 1,000 people apply. Company can offer the job to the people asking the least amount of money.

A company needs 100 workers. 10 apply. Company has to raise the pay to attract more workers to fill it's demand.



Here's how supply and demand die.

The government limits who can apply to said jobs. That's it. That's all it takes to destroy supply and demand. And that is what you're advocating.



People aren't getting married because it's a horrible idea for men, who stand to lose half their stuff, and women don't need men.
Children are also a horrible idea. I have 2 of them. Horrible idea.

People can't buy a starter home because the government made it too expensive with permits, fees, and regulations. Do you have any idea how much just the paperwork is to build a home? It's 10s of thousands of dollars.
Median wage is 60k, so your argument that the 60k jobs are gone is invalid.


The fact of the matter is the poorest working people in America are living better than royalty lived 200 years ago.
The quality of life in the world is better now than it's ever been and it's steadily increasing.
More people have access to clean water than ever before.
More people have access to food than ever before.
More people have more money than ever before.
Lifespans are longer than ever.
There's been a 170% increase in the number of millionaires since 2000.

Stop complaining and go do something with your life.
Learn to program computers. Learn to be a nurse, doctor, x ray tech, or something medical. Learn to weld. Learn to fix cars. Invent a new product. Start a business. Go over your finances and make improvements. Make investments. Anything but sitting here whining about how bad you have it at the greatest point of human progress.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There are a few well-publicized cases of software engineers working for Google in Silicon Valley who live in campers parked in the Google parking lots, using the Google gym for showering. They are, as you describe, trying to save enough rent to put together the down payment.
The have to wonder if the Boomers had to do anything like this to save for a down payment? What's that? They didn't?
 
Old 01-13-2019, 04:43 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Another victim.
It must be quite a simple life to just dismiss anyone who disagrees with you... Argument invalid.. all your fault... NEXT!

I used to hire in IT for many years. There is no shortage of US applicants. Only a shortage of US applicants willing to work for slave labor wages that are only comparable to the cost of living in India.

There are plenty of Millennials who would get married and have children if they could get that starter home. You really think most Millennials would want to start a family from their parents' homes or a ****ty apartment?

Making comparisons to life 200 years ago is silly, at best. Nothing is even like it was 20 years ago much less 200.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
 
9,675 posts, read 2,614,492 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Another victim.

Here's how supply and demand works.


A company needs 100 workers. 1,000 people apply. Company can offer the job to the people asking the least amount of money.

A company needs 100 workers. 10 apply. Company has to raise the pay to attract more workers to fill it's demand.



Here's how supply and demand die.

The government limits who can apply to said jobs. That's it. That's all it takes to destroy supply and demand. And that is what you're advocating.



People aren't getting married because it's a horrible idea for men, who stand to lose half their stuff, and women don't need men.
Children are also a horrible idea. I have 2 of them. Horrible idea.

People can't buy a starter home because the government made it too expensive with permits, fees, and regulations. Do you have any idea how much just the paperwork is to build a home? It's 10s of thousands of dollars.
Median wage is 60k, so your argument that the 60k jobs are gone is invalid.


The fact of the matter is the poorest working people in America are living better than royalty lived 200 years ago.
The quality of life in the world is better now than it's ever been and it's steadily increasing.
More people have access to clean water than ever before.
More people have access to food than ever before.
More people have more money than ever before.
Lifespans are longer than ever.
There's been a 170% increase in the number of millionaires since 2000.

Stop complaining and go do something with your life.
Learn to program computers. Learn to be a nurse, doctor, x ray tech, or something medical. Learn to weld. Learn to fix cars. Invent a new product. Start a business. Go over your finances and make improvements. Make investments. Anything but sitting here whining about how bad you have it at the greatest point of human progress.

 
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 PM
 
9,675 posts, read 2,614,492 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There are a few well-publicized cases of software engineers working for Google in Silicon Valley who live in campers parked in the Google parking lots, using the Google gym for showering. They are, as you describe, trying to save enough rent to put together the down payment.

A friend of mine did that while working for Apple in Silicon Valley in the late 80s/early 90s. Unfortunately, rather than buying a house, he spent the money on a lavish wedding for a marriage that didn't last .
 
Old 01-13-2019, 05:04 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
I wouldn't take any job that expected me to accept being homeless in order to keep said job.

It's nutters like these Google parking lot ppl and the H1-B importers that keep the salaries down.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
482 posts, read 373,140 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Another victim.

Stop complaining and go do something with your life.
Learn to program computers. Learn to be a nurse, doctor, x ray tech, or something medical. Learn to weld. Learn to fix cars. Invent a new product. Start a business. Go over your finances and make improvements. Make investments. Anything but sitting here whining about how bad you have it at the greatest point of human progress.
Far from it. I'm 30 years old and make 6 figures. My home is paid off (worth ~300k). I'm doing just fine, on track to retire in 2 years, because I got lucky with Bitcoin. I'm just telling it like I see it. My generation has no hope for owning homes or finding good paying jobs.

Learn to program computers? You won't get hired unless you get a bachelor's degree (involves going into substantial debt), then work at a low paying job for several years to gain the "experience" that companies who pay well require for entry-level jobs, which you will be competing for against millions of foreign labor who are willing to work for less.

This isn't the Boomer economy where you walk into a business, look at the boss in the eyes and give them a firm handshake, only to immediately get offered a 50k/year job in a community where homes are 150k. Boomers opened up the U.S. economy to the entire world, which increase the demand for jobs and lowers the wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Here's how supply and demand works.

A company needs 100 workers. 1,000 people apply. Company can offer the job to the people asking the least amount of money.

A company needs 100 workers. 10 apply. Company has to raise the pay to attract more workers to fill it's demand.

Here's how supply and demand die.

The government limits who can apply to said jobs. That's it. That's all it takes to destroy supply and demand. And that is what you're advocating.
I think you need to re-read what you wrote. Moving to point to the left on the supply/demand curve does mean the curve no longer exists. It just exists at a point where demand is lower and supply is higher. This causes a higher price per worker, which I absolutely am advocating for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
People aren't getting married because it's a horrible idea for men, who stand to lose half their stuff, and women don't need men.
Agreed. I'll go one step further and say that corporations are accelerating the process as they benefit greatly from the destruction of the family unit. Less families mean less births. Lowering birthrates justifies them importing foreign labor. Single parent households increase the number of adults who are working. All of this increases the demand for jobs and allows corporations to pay their workers less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
People can't buy a starter home because the government made it too expensive with permits, fees, and regulations. Do you have any idea how much just the paperwork is to build a home? It's 10s of thousands of dollars.
Agreed, this is what those who currently own homes want. The more expensive building homes are, the less of them are built, which increases the value of their home.

Apartment complexes are the biggest evil of them all. All of the money is transferred from those who live in them (primarily working-class) to those who own the complex (top 1% of wealth). Any city who wants to improve the quality of life of its citizens would restrict the construction of apartment complexes, and promote the construction of single family homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Median wage is 60k, so your argument that the 60k jobs are gone is invalid.
Yeah right. Absolutely no one I know my age who lives in Las Vegas is making 60k/year. Per capita income for Henderson is between 30-35k from online estimates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
The fact of the matter is the poorest working people in America are living better than royalty lived 200 years ago.
The quality of life in the world is better now than it's ever been and it's steadily increasing.
More people have access to clean water than ever before.
More people have access to food than ever before.
More people have more money than ever before.
Lifespans are longer than ever.
There's been a 170% increase in the number of millionaires since 2000.
Boomer talking points. We're not a developing nation. Of course we have water and food.

Each generation after the Boomers is living a lower quality of life. It's harder to get jobs. It's harder to buy homes. Currency is worth significantly less once Nixon took us off the gold standard.

There's never been a better time to be rich in this country. The government will support you to bring in cheap labor instead of having to hire its citizens. The government will let you move your operations to another country for cheaper labor. And if all that fails, the government will even allow you to bring in illegal labor as they don't enforce the laws in place.

If you're making more than $200,000 in this country, you're only being taxed 37% of that income, compared to 70% from the 50s-70s. The rich get to keep more of their paychecks than they ever have, allowing them to influence government policy through the media.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:07 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Far from it. I'm 30 years old and make 6 figures. My home is paid off (worth ~300k). I'm doing just fine, on track to retire in 2 years, because I got lucky with Bitcoin. I'm just telling it like I see it. My generation has no hope for owning homes or finding good paying jobs.
You made my whole point right there and crap on your own argument. You can't sit here making 6 figures on the verge of early retirement with a paid off house telling us how hard it is for people these days to make 6 figures and buy a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Learn to program computers? You won't get hired unless you get a bachelor's degree (involves going into substantial debt), then work at a low paying job for several years to gain the "experience" that companies who pay well require for entry-level jobs, which you will be competing for against millions of foreign labor who are willing to work for less.

I personally know 4 people making 6 figures programming with no degree. Only one has college experience. She went for music engineering and dropped out 2 years in. No degree. Self taught programmer making 6 figures.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
This isn't the Boomer economy where you walk into a business, look at the boss in the eyes and give them a firm handshake, only to immediately get offered a 50k/year job in a community where homes are 150k. Boomers opened up the U.S. economy to the entire world, which increase the demand for jobs and lowers the wages.
Jobs went up in skill level so if you have those in demand skills you can walk in, shake the bosses hand, and get a 6 figure job. If someone that doesn't even speak the language can take your job, how pathetic are you? Make yourself valuable and you will make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I think you need to re-read what you wrote. Moving to point to the left on the supply/demand curve does mean the curve no longer exists. It just exists at a point where demand is lower and supply is higher. This causes a higher price per worker, which I absolutely am advocating for.

Nope. It's like freedom. If you put limits on freedom or supply and demand, you kill it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Agreed. I'll go one step further and say that corporations are accelerating the process as they benefit greatly from the destruction of the family unit. Less families mean less births. Lowering birthrates justifies them importing foreign labor. Single parent households increase the number of adults who are working. All of this increases the demand for jobs and allows corporations to pay their workers less.
I'm out of tin foil, you have some I can borrow?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Agreed, this is what those who currently own homes want. The more expensive building homes are, the less of them are built, which increases the value of their home.

Apartment complexes are the biggest evil of them all. All of the money is transferred from those who live in them (primarily working-class) to those who own the complex (top 1% of wealth). Any city who wants to improve the quality of life of its citizens would restrict the construction of apartment complexes, and promote the construction of single family homes.
So what you're saying is democrats are evil and intentionally driving up housing costs for their own gain?

And good lord, the wrong that's in that second part. Can you imagine NYC or LA or San Fran if all the housing was single family homes? It would never work. You do not know what you're talking about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Yeah right. Absolutely no one I know my age who lives in Las Vegas is making 60k/year. Per capita income for Henderson is between 30-35k from online estimates.
I did 80k last year so, hi. And you say you did 6 figures. If I get their permission I will gladly name several Vegas members of this site that make 60k or more. I saw one member's w2 for 2017. They made 137,000
I can name dozens of Vegas locals making 60K plus. Every journeyman in the city is making 40 an hour plus benefits.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Boomer talking points. We're not a developing nation. Of course we have water and food.

Each generation after the Boomers is living a lower quality of life. It's harder to get jobs. It's harder to buy homes. Currency is worth significantly less once Nixon took us off the gold standard.

There's never been a better time to be rich in this country. The government will support you to bring in cheap labor instead of having to hire its citizens. The government will let you move your operations to another country for cheaper labor. And if all that fails, the government will even allow you to bring in illegal labor as they don't enforce the laws in place.

The point you seemed to miss is life got expensive not because of some daffy generation but because we're paying for all these advancements. We're paying for all these social safety nets because morons can't figure out that having in demand skills = making money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
If you're making more than $200,000 in this country, you're only being taxed 37% of that income, compared to 70% from the 50s-70s. The rich get to keep more of their paychecks than they ever have, allowing them to influence government policy through the media.

37% is way too high. The government has been shut down for 3 weeks and our lives haven't changed a bit. There's absolutely positively no reason for ANYONE in this country to be paying income tax. At all. Ever.


When takes were absurdly high, that is when America got all the tax loopholes because the people making that kind of money found it cheaper to bribe the government to make the loopholes than it is to pay the insane taxes.
I don't know about you, but I'm doing everything in my power to avoid paying taxes because every penny the government takes is wasted and I do not support a single thing they do just like I don't support the theft that is taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top