U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272

Advertisements

The days of walking in anywhere and landing a job have been gone for about 20 years now.

There has been a concerted effort by all parts of the industry to increase housing costs. What's next? You going to tell us 2008 didn't happen?

Most places are not NYC or LA.

The whole point of the advancements was to reduce costs. In fact, this happened, the typical corporate employee is now 5X more productive than they were before the computer revolution. Corporations still did not pass any of this windfall on to their employees.

There are very few in-demand skills that have not been offshored. Supply and demand doesn't really work out when you place demand in one economy and supply in another.

I would love to see FICA go away but really... Fat chance. It's not happening in our lifetimes so it's useless to sit here bitching about it.

 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
The days of walking in anywhere and landing a job have been gone for about 20 years now.
I did it three times in the last 4 years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
There has been a concerted effort by all parts of the industry to increase housing costs. What's next? You going to tell us 2008 didn't happen?
2008 definitely happened.




Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Most places are not NYC or LA.
Thank the good lord baby jeebus those places are awful and full of idiots.

Vegas has a lot of single family homes. I live in one. But if we tore down the apartments we have and build houses instead we'd be out of land already and if you don't think that would dramatically raise home prices, you 1000% don't understand supply and demand.




Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
The whole point of the advancements was to reduce costs. In fact, this happened, the typical corporate employee is now 5X more productive than they were before the computer revolution. Corporations still did not pass any of this windfall on to their employees.
LOLOLOLOLOL. The whole point of advancement i to make our lives better and make money for the people that took the time money and skill to make it happen.





Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
There are very few in-demand skills that have not been offshored. Supply and demand doesn't really work out when you place demand in one economy and supply in another.
And yet so many people here are making good money by having those in demand skills.






Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I would love to see FICA go away but really... Fat chance. It's not happening in our lifetimes so it's useless to sit here bitching about it.
It's not going away so just raise them way up, for reasons? That's totally reasonable....not...
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,414 posts, read 5,463,547 times
Reputation: 3990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Good for them. I envy those who give a middle finger to the banks, landlords, and utility companies who gouge their customers whenever at all possible.

Millennials were screwed over by a government who outsourced all manufacturing and allowed companies hire foreign labor through H1-B visas rather than pay Americans more and train them.

These immigrants then increased the demand for housing, causing prices to increase to a point where home ownership is unattainable for most.

I'm glad that the Boomers - who created this problem - are feeling the effects of their selfishness on their streets.
Millennials who bothered to develop marketable skills are doing just fine.

Why the heck do they act like every prior generation didn't experience their own set of challenges.

Give me a break.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:42 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I did it three times in the last 4 years.




2008 definitely happened.






Thank the good lord baby jeebus those places are awful and full of idiots.

Vegas has a lot of single family homes. I live in one. But if we tore down the apartments we have and build houses instead we'd be out of land already and if you don't think that would dramatically raise home prices, you 1000% don't understand supply and demand.






LOLOLOLOLOL. The whole point of advancement i to make our lives better and make money for the people that took the time money and skill to make it happen.







And yet so many people here are making good money by having those in demand skills.








It's not going away so just raise them way up, for reasons? That's totally reasonable....not...
The biggest chance for middle and lower class to raise themselves up is through property ownership. Renting puts your dollars in the pocket of the owner

If you walked in to get jobs 3 times in the past 4 years for one, you're job hopping for some reason and for two I strongly doubt it was a corporate position.

Las Vegas is a long way away from running out of land despite the famous real estate agent line of "they're not making any more land!" If they didn't want $300K for empty lots in the ghetto or outside of town, I probably would have bought some already.

Nobody owes anyone anything for their advancements. Copyright/trademark laws grant short term monopolies for such advancements and consumers can choose whether or not to buy them. I'm pretty sure corporations don't really care whether the advancements benefit you. They design the software to collect the data they want so they can sell it to someone else. You are the product.

There isn't much demand for skilled labor here. The Casinos prefer their employees to be pretty dumb. Corporations don't want free thinkers. They want easily programmable cogs they can replace at will.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Millennials who bothered to develop marketable skills are doing just fine.

Why the heck do they act like every prior generation didn't experience their own set of challenges.

Give me a break.
Marketable skills aren't marketable in the US at reasonable wages for the US. For example, Cisco lays off 6000 US employees then hires 10,000 in Bangalore.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Wow, I will let the thousands of tradesmen know that they can't get the jobs they already have. Thank you kind sir for being so "woke" and in touch with reality.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Wow, I will let the thousands of tradesmen know that they can't get the jobs they already have. Thank you kind sir for being so "woke" and in touch with reality.
You keep mentioning trades but college educated folks don't work in the trades.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
You keep mentioning trades but college educated folks don't work in the trades.



WHAT?????? There's more than one type of worker in a country of 300,000,000 people???

NOOOOOO WAAAAAYYYYYY.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 PM
 
453 posts, read 180,718 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
WHAT?????? There's more than one type of worker in a country of 300,000,000 people???

NOOOOOO WAAAAAYYYYYY.
You keep jumping to conclusions on the basis of comparisons that don't make any logical sense.

I'm not going for it. I know the goal is to misdirect the conversation so that you can control the talking points.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:18 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,698 posts, read 4,853,755 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
You keep jumping to conclusions on the basis of comparisons that don't make any logical sense.

I'm not going for it. I know the goal is to misdirect the conversation so that you can control the talking points.



No, the point is, plenty of people get SKILLS, and make plenty of money.
I've been consistent on this. It's not my fault you fail at comprehension.

Skills are anything from programming to nursing to welding to mechanic to engineering to programming to public speaking and everything in between.


There's no jumping to any conclusion. Just cold hard facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top