U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM

156 posts, read 170,487 times

Advertisements

We are snowbirds, driving to and from Minnesota. The route you show (I 40) is the one I would take in early March. I take three different routes, depending on the date. Also, weather reports play a big part in our route decision.

When we go back to Minnesota in April we will take I 15 to either I 70 or I 80. But we will check weather reports. Since we are retired we can delay our return if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 1,360,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRWalker View Post
Are you sure that you don't want to take just one car and ship the other. I would check the cost of shipping one car against the cost of gas. It would be a lot less worry about breakdowns if you were together. Shipping a car costs less than you would think.
How much?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM

10 posts, read 13,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRWalker View Post
Are you sure that you don't want to take just one car and ship the other. I would check the cost of shipping one car against the cost of gas. It would be a lot less worry about breakdowns if you were together. Shipping a car costs less than you would think.
We checked how much it would be to ship 1 car from Michigan to LV -- it would be about 900 per car. Driving both of our cars, gas, hotels, food, etc would cost us around 1300 at the maximum -- plus we can pack our cars with some of our stuff saving us some money for shipping stuff.

I get it though, it's very debatable.

As for our dogs, they are very good about holding their bladders and are totally chill with hotel rooms. We aren't in a rush so we think 8 hour drives (4 hours drive + 1 Stopover + 4 hours drive) and total 3 to 4 day overnights we can do -- Again all totaling 1300 at the max.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 578 times
I am driving to Vegas from Cleveland in April. I was curious to know the same thing, as I believe that my route will be similar being that you’re close to my location in Ohio. At first I was excited about the drive through the mountains, but the more I research the more I think I’ll take the southern route. Many people are saying “it’s not fun” to drive the Rockies, and I am not a person that loves the freeway or heights as is (I actually never driven more than 120 miles from Cleveland alone. My Dad will be with me though). I’m glad to have come across your thread, and good luck with everything.

Sidenote: This may sound a bit strange, but in the course of my research I came across vids on YouTube of people driving across country (time lapsed, but you’re still able to follow the views). Just to get myself familiar with the route. Maybe you could check it out yourself

Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Hey clevelandtovegas,

Thanks! Good luck on your long trip too. We've decided to take the southern route and enjoy the trip instead of taking the northern route through the rockies.

Thanks for the YT vid tip! I'll check those out too.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 AM

536 posts, read 486,738 times
I have done the trip to Vegas too many times, LOL. A few times from Central Illinois and once from SW Florida. I'm going to have to do it one more time when my house sells in Florida, I'm moving back to Las Vegas.

Agree with taking I40. Good luck with thinking you will get to your stopping points in 8 hours with two dogs (or even without). One traffic snarl can cost you hours. I have seen (and been stuck in) some horrendously long jams where the highway turns into a parking lot for well over 20 miles. I leave my hotels at 6 am every day and most days were 10-11 hour drives. You do have the advantage of gaining an hour driving from East to West. Losing an hour every day driving from West to East makes the day feel longer even though the actual driving time is the same.

It's much better to ship one car and drive together. Safer, much more tolerable and hopefully you can share the driving task. I have done it by myself and it is grueling. Even if it costs more, I'd prefer to ship one car and drive with someone else to talk to and share the driving chore. Every day of driving that far is a grind. Much worse doing it by yourself, at least that's my opinion after having done cross country drives many times (have also done Central Illinois to Jackson Hole and Malibu).

Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 PM

4,601 posts, read 5,911,954 times
Driving thru the rockies is the best part of driving to Vegas from Michigan.... In the summer.

Take the southern route.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I have done the trip to Vegas too many times, LOL. A few times from Central Illinois and once from SW Florida. I'm going to have to do it one more time when my house sells in Florida, I'm moving back to Las Vegas.

Agree with taking I40. Good luck with thinking you will get to your stopping points in 8 hours with two dogs (or even without). One traffic snarl can cost you hours. I have seen (and been stuck in) some horrendously long jams where the highway turns into a parking lot for well over 20 miles. I leave my hotels at 6 am every day and most days were 10-11 hour drives. You do have the advantage of gaining an hour driving from East to West. Losing an hour every day driving from West to East makes the day feel longer even though the actual driving time is the same.

It's much better to ship one car and drive together. Safer, much more tolerable and hopefully you can share the driving task. I have done it by myself and it is grueling. Even if it costs more, I'd prefer to ship one car and drive with someone else to talk to and share the driving chore. Every day of driving that far is a grind. Much worse doing it by yourself, at least that's my opinion after having done cross country drives many times (have also done Central Illinois to Jackson Hole and Malibu).
Hey movin1.

Thanks for the input -- all very good advice. Still talking about just taking 1 car with my husband and it seems highly probable. It will also help with entertaining the dogs and lessen the driving strain on us (AKA take turns!)

8 hours a day drive is best case scenario -- We're realistic people so we understand the possible traffic jams and long freeway waits. And I didn't think about the time zone change! Totally slipped my mind. Kind of comforting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or